Colorado > Ice Fishing Colorado

Need help...for a CO ice fishing visit

(1/3) > >>

mags459:
I will be visiting CO this January for an ice fishing trip. About all I know is that we will be camping for 3 nights near a lake and fishing for trout during the day.  Anyone have any tips for bait, rod types and jig types. I know we are up high enough that we have to use cut bait not minnows.  Or maybe that is normal for the state.  I know nothing about trout and am starting from scratch.  Thanks for any hints and tips. Can you fly with a flasher??

Shane

westslope:
What lake and what type of trout?

_colorado:
And where are you fishing? Bring your longjohns is all I can say - camping will be a bit chillee... :P

mags459:
we are fishing Twin Lakes or Clear Creek Reservoir.  Will be bringing longjohns and more for the weather.  We will be staying in a 12x16 canvas tent with stove and have pop up shacks with heaters.  But if you guys fish like I do here in MN I like to get out and move around if the weather cooperates at all. Lake trout and or any other trout that we can get to bite on those lakes will be the targets.  Thanks again for any help.

westslope:
There's definitely good laker action at Twin, alot in the 18" to 24" range with an occasional hog. I would start with a 3" tube jig or silver kasty tipped with sucker meat about 1' to 2' off the bottom and constantly slow jigged, target 25 to 50 fow and once you find them stay at that depth. Rainbow action at Clear Creek should be good also, I like 1-1/2" tube jigs w/ gulp maggot, mealie or nightcrawler anywhere in the column.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version