Author Topic: Using jigging rapalas  (Read 2565 times)

Offline {RPF}Rapala Pike Fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "If you can't catch fish, your not using a Rapala"
Using jigging rapalas
« on: Nov 22, 2005, 02:09 PM »
Is a jigging rapala a good lure for pike fishing? What about the newer Jigging shad rap?

hali-man

Re: Using jigging rapalas
« Reply #1 on: Nov 22, 2005, 02:14 PM »
Hey RPF-
Welcome to IS!
There are so many excellent baits out there, why are you so focused on this one?
And yes- Pike will bite them.

Offline cnyfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta love the perch fillets!!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 22, 2005, 02:31 PM »
I used both last year pike fishing and the jigging shad did a catch one more fish than the jigging rap did...I think I got one on the jigging rap, one on the shad rap, and my dad managed one on his shad rap. could have been the pattern on them though
"Let them take it... till the minnows good and took. Ya reel up all your slack, then ya set your hook."

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 22, 2005, 02:44 PM »
I picked up 3 colors at Gander Mtn. last night, clown, firetiger, and perch, would these be good colors to use?

Offline cnyfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 22, 2005, 02:47 PM »
my first choice would be the perch pattern, then move to the clown and firetiger patterns as the ice/snow gets deeper
"Let them take it... till the minnows good and took. Ya reel up all your slack, then ya set your hook."

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 22, 2005, 04:35 PM »
Jigging Rapalas and nils master jiggers are probably the best lure for pike under the ice. I still catch most pike on tip ups but these work too. Use a #7 rap to start out with, with 12 or 14 pound mono or fluoro, and use at least a 15 pound test leader of stiff fluorocarbon leader material. I would tip the jigging rap with a very small minnow head and make sure it doesn't interfere with the action.
Since panfish are the forage for pike around here I stick with perch, fire tiger, and gold minnow patterns. If those are the most common forage for pike in your neck of the woods, those colors are your best bet.
If you have pelagic baitfish like ciscoes or alewives, silver and silver blue patterns are great.
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline cnyfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 22, 2005, 05:09 PM »
Mackdaddy- what kind of hooks do you use on your tip-ups for pike? I've been using single point hooks, and missing a lot of flags.I have seen people using trebles with their pike bait. Which do you think work better?

grumpymoe

« Reply #7 on: Nov 22, 2005, 06:24 PM »
I picked up 3 colors at Gander Mtn. last night, clown, firetiger, and perch, would these be good colors to use?
...awesome product no matter what you decide to try....vary up the presentation for your particular body of water until you find that either you start catching alot more fish than others, or you have enough top-notch Rapala product to start a new buddy club to share with....hope this helps....Grump ;D

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 22, 2005, 09:36 PM »
OKay thanks for all of the tips, and i'll let you know of my success when ice-on begins  ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.