Author Topic: More prep work  (Read 2246 times)

Offline kcskypilot

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A nice day!
More prep work
« on: Dec 04, 2018, 02:37 PM »
Tying some new jigs should work on some finicky fish I know of.

#16 nymph hook so really small!

Any other colors you guys would recommend?

Offline TennesseeFreeze

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: More prep work
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2018, 03:05 PM »
They look great! Pink(which you have covered), and blaze orange were working very well for me last year. I couldn't find enough orange to throw at the crappie my friend. Just my two cents.

Offline kcskypilot

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A nice day!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2018, 03:54 PM »
They look great! Pink(which you have covered), and blaze orange were working very well for me last year. I couldn't find enough orange to throw at the crappie my friend. Just my two cents.

I totally forgot about orange! I've done really well in some areas around here using florescent orange. Looks like I need to order some more tungsten.

I should make some crappie sizes as well! (#8 - 10 hook)

Offline kcskypilot

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A nice day!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 07, 2018, 03:12 PM »
I just found this item at Joann fabrics! I can't wait to tie something up with it!

Offline kcskypilot

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A nice day!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2018, 09:46 PM »
I just found this item at Joann fabrics! I can't wait to tie something up with it!

Finally got a chance to try the new material:

Offline Reel_Ice_hole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 12, 2018, 11:13 PM »
Can't see the pics... Would love to see what ur working on

Offline kcskypilot

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A nice day!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 14, 2018, 11:09 AM »
Can't see the pics... Would love to see what ur working on

I'm not sure how else to post the pics. Anyone have any ideas?

Offline Spooled85

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 14, 2018, 12:13 PM »
I see them just fine

Offline 4x4Dad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 14, 2018, 12:20 PM »
Excellent work ! They look great .

Offline ftwwalleye

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 14, 2018, 04:59 PM »
Nice job. It gets addictive. I have 105 bevbugs tied up. Prob gonna tie 100 more before ice. Always fun sharing them. I get anxiety and tying helps me out when I'm not fishing. I cant sit on one pattern long either. Always trying to make something new or learn a new fly.

Beer is proof that god loves us-ben franklin

Offline tater140

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 14, 2018, 05:18 PM »
Nice work to the both of you.  I was inspired enoughto go get some loon cement, now i just need to get ip enough nerve to try it

Offline R.S.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 14, 2018, 06:21 PM »
very nice guys.

Offline kcskypilot

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A nice day!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 15, 2018, 08:08 AM »
Nice work to the both of you.  I was inspired enoughto go get some loon cement, now i just need to get ip enough nerve to try it

Go for it! Like Ftw says, it's very therapeutic! It also helps take the edge off while waiting.

My best advice? Pinterest and YouTube! Pinterest has thousands of ideas and YouTube shows lots of "how to..."

Offline kcskypilot

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A nice day!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 20, 2018, 08:37 PM »
I followed TennesseeFreeze's advice and made up an orange ice fly. This is a size 16 for finicky gills.

I also found this material at Hobby Lobby in the embroidery floss section.

I couldn't wait to play with it so here's the result in a size 12.

I love how the different colors of the floss makes it look more natural. (It also has a slimming effect on my winter wear... but that's for a different post!)

I think next time, I'm going to use a black or dark grey underlay of thread instead of white.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 20, 2018, 08:59 PM »
Try some find some demos of weaves on YouTube and you can make 2 tone clean looking bodies with that floss.  There are several weaves that can give you a two tone top/bottom,  2 tone top /bottom  with stripes  and a 2 tone checkerboard look.

Offline kcskypilot

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A nice day!
« Reply #15 on: Dec 21, 2018, 08:13 AM »
Try some find some demos of weaves on YouTube and you can make 2 tone clean looking bodies with that floss.  There are several weaves that can give you a two tone top/bottom,  2 tone top /bottom  with stripes  and a 2 tone checkerboard look.

I got a small crochet hook for exactly that reason. I'm hoping to duplicate a small minnow pattern. Thanks for the tip! Maybe I can do a mini perch pattern...? How cool would that be?

I think I remember you showing some of your work in the past.  Feel free to post some on here if you get a chance. I also remember A-bomb posting his jigs that he would make. I need to go back in the archives and look them up again.

At some point I wouldn't mind selling some through the local tackle shops. But then it starts to resemble work!

Offline TeacherPreacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 21, 2018, 11:48 AM »
Some I tied up last week.
Teach

Teacher Preacher
Life is short! Do all that you love to do as often as you can with those that you love!

Offline kcskypilot

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A nice day!
« Reply #17 on: Dec 21, 2018, 01:27 PM »
Those are great, Teach!

I'd like some info on how you made the green one third from the right bottom row. If you're ok with that.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 21, 2018, 09:25 PM »
I got a small crochet hook for exactly that reason. I'm hoping to duplicate a small minnow pattern. Thanks for the tip! Maybe I can do a mini perch pattern...? How cool would that be?

I think I remember you showing some of your work in the past.  Feel free to post some on here if you get a chance. I also remember A-bomb posting his jigs that he would make. I need to go back in the archives and look them up again.

At some point I wouldn't mind selling some through the local tackle shops. But then it starts to resemble work!

Will be hard to look back at the old posts and see pics because photobucket that most used to post pics changed stuff up a couple years ago where you can't post your pics to other sites unless you pay a fee to photobucket.  So most pics show no image any more.

Here are some I did a couple years ago with a basic weave to get a two tone fly.  I will have look for some other pics of the checkered ones or the ones with the stripe on the side.  No crochet hook is needed.  It is a weave done with your hands.  A-bombs are lead wire wrapped hooks and then painted with nail polish and clear coated.  Pretty easy to make if you have any skill with nail polish and small brushes.  I am sure you could also pain them with an air brush too.

Offline kcskypilot

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A nice day!
« Reply #19 on: Dec 22, 2018, 08:45 AM »
Wax-worm, did you weight them or leave them neutral?

I saw some guys a few years ago use one like the white/pink/yellowtail on the far right. They were jigging about 4 inches under the ice and were pulling out crappie after crappie. The occasional bluegill would take a taste when they could get close enough as well.

Offline kcskypilot

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A nice day!
« Reply #20 on: Dec 22, 2018, 02:28 PM »
I don't know how many of you have this problem but I had to add more pegs to hold more colors of thread.  :whistle:

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 22, 2018, 02:44 PM »
Wax-worm, did you weight them or leave them neutral?

I saw some guys a few years ago use one like the white/pink/yellowtail on the far right. They were jigging about 4 inches under the ice and were pulling out crappie after crappie. The occasional bluegill would take a taste when they could get close enough as well.
They have a lead wrap under the floss, but they still sink slowly.

Offline TeacherPreacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 23, 2018, 12:40 PM »
I sent you a PM,
Teach
Teacher Preacher
Life is short! Do all that you love to do as often as you can with those that you love!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.