Author Topic: Insulation & Ventilation questions  (Read 1940 times)

Offline mxzzoula

• IceShanty Rookie
Insulation & Ventilation questions
« on: Jun 08, 2018, 06:01 PM »
howdy folks!

so I bought this shack back in January with the intention of living in it - which I have been doing after some interior conversion work.

it's a pretty bad*ss little thing - it's 6'x8', framed entirely out of 1"x3"s, on skis, and the walls are a milled paper/canvas material.

I was planning not to insulate it - however plans have changed. and - I have already made good use out of the interior space - so my idea is to build the insulation around the exterior.

I am thinking of essentially building a second frame to house the insulation, as well as to attach the new siding to (likely tin scraps or something). my idea is to leave the canvas on as a barrier. the windows are all plexiglass and do not open - I am considering replacing these with actual windows. the whole structure is very drafty, but safe from water. I would be able to use 3" wide boards for the secondary framing and still be covered under the roof.

so - my idea is to make the entire structure airtight as h*ll; but - I am worried about ventilation. also - I tend to move so keep in mind that ideally I want this thing to be efficient in both New Orleans summers and Maine winters   ;D   ... if I go through with insulating it I will also seek out a small wood stove.

my questions are - is it possible to create ventilation while also being very safe from draftiness / heat loss? what would the best ventilation solution be? and -- what do yall think about attaching a secondary frame to the existing one?

thanks ahead of time. I'm happy to post pictures of the interior if anyone is curious  :)

Offline jpohlic

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Insulation & Ventilation questions
« Reply #1 on: Jun 11, 2018, 08:47 AM »
Welcome to the shanty,

More pics for sure!!!

Adding a second frame sounds heavy. I'd put rigid insulation around the outside and fasten your siding to the existing framing members. Add a couple small vents, an intake near the floor and an exhaust near the roof and you should be good.
The more I fish, the less I know about fishing...
Send me a PM if you'd like info about how I built my ice shack

Offline mxzzoula

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jun 12, 2018, 02:35 PM »
jpohlic,

thanks for the input! yea - I'm not stoked about adding weight. I had considered your idea before - but I was a little worried about the sure-ness of the siding and insulation staying in place if I'm moving around a lot. though with the second opinion I'm beginning to think that might be the smarter way to do it.

I will get some quality pics today or tomorrow and upload them!

Offline bowmandan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jun 13, 2018, 04:36 PM »
Add house wrap on the outside of the insulation to help hold it place for transportation

Offline mxzzoula

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jun 14, 2018, 01:02 AM »
roger that! thanks bowmandan

here are some pics of the interior - I have a bucket water system (that's why the white bucket is hanging). for a sink I sunk a 12" wok into the counter; ran a power strip through the floor and that rests where the piping for the sink is. if I get a woodstove I would put it under the white counter where the bulky brown cabinet currently sits.

Offline aquarium234

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jun 18, 2018, 07:18 PM »
Nice place
Its all fun and games until someone loses a walleye.......

Offline mxzzoula

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jun 20, 2018, 06:23 PM »
cheers - I'll upload some more pictures once I make some more progress on the improvements.. I've started installing some actual windows

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.