The Dark House Spearing board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Egg's and Potatoe's  (Read 5899 times)

Offline Bill Collector Bob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The ice doesn't melt, it cries!
Egg's and Potatoe's
« on: Feb 01, 2008, 09:11 PM »
Well I finally got my spear and I cut my hole tonight, heading out bright and early tomorrow. You guys ever use potatoes to lighten up the bottom. I've got a bunch of egg shells but I'm gonna try a tater tomorrow too and see how it works out.

-Bob

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Me and my fishing buddy
Re: Egg's and Potatoe's
« Reply #1 on: Feb 01, 2008, 10:30 PM »
I have always just used eggshells, but I have heard of people using potato peels, should work fine.  Make some potato salad the night before you go fishing, have all the egg shells and spud peels you would need, and something to snack on too!!, lol!! ;) ;D

Offline MrMarty51

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 2008, 01:30 AM »
Well I finally got my spear and I cut my hole tonight, heading out bright and early tomorrow. You guys ever use potatoes to lighten up the bottom. I've got a bunch of egg shells but I'm gonna try a tater tomorrow too and see how it works out.
Sounds like the fishLL get potatoe salad soup. :roflmao: :whistle: :tipup: :tipup:

"Every hour spent fishing is NOT taken from ones life"Quote from Grant Boyson

Offline spearchucker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 04, 2008, 12:59 PM »
Enhancing the bottom is illegal here in Minnesota. But I have heard that White Soup Beans work well.... :whistle:

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #4 on: Feb 04, 2008, 01:09 PM »
Page 5 of the michigan fishing guide say's

DEPOSIT LITTER, fish offal, or any foreign matter, in any waters of the state or on any lands, private or public.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
« Reply #5 on: Feb 04, 2008, 03:19 PM »
Page 5 of the michigan fishing guide say's

DEPOSIT LITTER, fish offal, or any foreign matter, in any waters of the state or on any lands, private or public.

That's a stupid law when it comes to egg shells and potatoes because they will just decompose any ways and I'm sure the water bugs eat them too. But I guess it is easier for them to say nothing is legal to put in the water, that way people will know that nothing should be left on the ice. But it is still stupid because look at all of the lead that goes into lakes and then I might get a ticket for a potato, I just can't see the logic. O well that's the LAW :callcops: .

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 26, 2008, 08:50 PM »
what about some tan sand? it doesn't hurt anything and will probably drift away over time and never be heard from again.

Offline BFTrout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 27, 2008, 08:14 AM »
try white beans (tebo) down the hole.  just make sure you bring along a 4' piece of pipe. . . this way, you can get the beans outside the hole.  cooked rice also works, but won't slide down the pipe really well. 

Offline MrMarty51

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 27, 2008, 07:07 PM »
Gettin a pretty good mix on this potatoe,egg soup add in some beans and some rice and it starts sounding like STEWEY STUFF!!!Oh no!
I have thought about those white granit rocks used for landscaping though.  ;D

"Every hour spent fishing is NOT taken from ones life"Quote from Grant Boyson

Offline polarfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ICE ICE BABY
« Reply #9 on: Feb 28, 2008, 06:33 PM »
a big bag of deer feed corn form the gas station works awsome

Offline spearjunkie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 02, 2009, 08:50 PM »
I'm a dry white bean guy. Cheap and easy

Offline rezeye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 13, 2009, 01:59 PM »
wyoming regs say that to posess corn while fishing is unlawful :cookoo: :cookoo: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline Bobberstop

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Have Ice Will Fish R.I.P. TH10 3/20/09
« Reply #12 on: Feb 13, 2009, 02:07 PM »
When i was spearing i used clam shells. I went to the river and picked up two or three 5 gallon buckets full in summer. Just dont leave bucket in shanty.they'll have hard time proving you put them there.                            Ron
Bobberstop

Offline westt5

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 08, 2009, 09:19 AM »
white rice is great and cheap

Offline Whatpole

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 09, 2009, 11:33 AM »

Supposedly, fish that eat corn will die, as fish cannot digest the corn, and it plugs them up.
"Isn't he precious." My daughter looking at a 12" walleye
"The Green Hornet strikes again!"

Offline newfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 15, 2009, 12:47 AM »
 I think that Dry spaghetti is better than egg shells or potatoes....why? because you can easily direct placement of spaghetti by angling  unbroken sticks of spaghetti when you place them in water(about 45 degrees from horizontal). They swim just like a good decoy if angled right when placed in water and can end up 8 plus feet from directly under hole. Kinda like throwing darts. Greatly increases field of view.................F or area directly under hole, break up spaghetti and place spaghetti in water horizontal to surface(sinks straight down like egg shells and potatoes)............. View will be even better as days go on and spaghetti plumps as it takes on water..Doesn't take much...

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 02, 2010, 09:46 AM »
up here In Alaska it is legal and I like to use potatoe peels I will peel several whole potatoes down and use them not just the outer peel. I have also found it works good if you  soak them overnight in some water. Then I rinse them good before going out.This removes the starch that will cloud your hole the first day you put them out if you don't.
My dad says when he was a kid he used to use an old copper pipe and a funnel to lay beans on the bottom as the long pipe allowed you to put them directly where you want them. one guy dumping beans and one guy aiming the pipe to lay out a nice square.
Chris
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.