The Dark House Spearing board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: I need a spear  (Read 3060 times)

Offline abbatoys

• IceShanty Rookie
I need a spear
« on: Feb 12, 2010, 09:14 PM »
I am ready to start a spearing trip out on the ice, but have no spear. What is a good starter spear or what should I look for in a spear. Pike spearing only. Where is a good place to buy one.....Thanks, Scott

Offline redruff

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: I need a spear
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2010, 10:13 PM »
Might be tough this time of year, but around here in Mn I see them at the bait stores, Fleet supply stores....
You can get them online too..

Offline 53andout

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Time spent fishing is not deducted from the total
« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2010, 08:49 AM »
Scott,

This guy is your neighbor - almost! Go to his house, he is just an old man, doing what he loves. He has some very nice spears and decoys, along with a few stories.

http://www.darkhousespearingsupply.com/index.php

I am ready to start a spearing trip out on the ice, but have no spear. What is a good starter spear or what should I look for in a spear. Pike spearing only. Where is a good place to buy one.....Thanks, Scott
Bruster

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Me and my fishing buddy
« Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2010, 12:25 PM »
When you are picking out a spear, be sure to get the best one you can possibly afford.  Cheap spears are not worth the risk of having a nice pike shake itself off.  Be sure it has large barbs and make sure that where you attach the rope has no burs or sharp edges that could cut the rope.  Try to find an Amish made spear, in my opinion, they are the best value for your dollar.

Heres one on Ebay so you get an idea of what to look for:
http://cgi.ebay.com/BEST-MADE-Steel-Ice-fishing-Fish-spear-spearing-WOW_W0QQitemZ290401938291QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item439d4deb73

Offline shadykiller

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 13, 2010, 05:56 PM »
If around the Brookly Mi area check out knutsons there in town they sell Nims Spears and they seem to be good. imo..And they also have other icefishing stuff..  I was there last week end and they had a few on the shelf..

Offline abbatoys

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 14, 2010, 08:11 PM »
I order a bunch of my waterfowl gear from knutsons. Never knew they had ice gear. I kinda got the bug a bit late this year from watching some videos. I have always wanted to try it, but just never took the leap. Just got back into icefishing last year after a few years off. Thanks everyone, love this site..Scott

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.