Author Topic: mitten/gloves  (Read 3677 times)

Offline olrustyboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • sorry to leave
mitten/gloves
« on: Jan 20, 2009, 07:19 AM »
I would image everyone else has the same problem of getting your gloves/ mittens
back on when your hands are cold and wet. I guess my question is there a brand of mitten
that are easy to get back on.

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: mitten/gloves
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2009, 07:28 AM »
The best thing i have found for ice fishing are leather chopper mittens from the blue seal right here in town, i just poked a hole in mine after 10 trs of use.

now i am using my backup mittens from HT/Joka therm and they bite

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2009, 07:29 AM »
Right or wrong, before I buy gloves, I try to pull the insides out. I use "cheap" insulated work gloves. They work for me. By the end of the year, there pretty beat, but then again, I only $10.00 per pair. Cant complain.

JIGGIN.

Offline SPARKYICE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2009, 07:41 AM »
i always carry a "terrible towel * "  or two with me (appologies to steelers fans).
i dry my hands off before i put my gloves back on. also, i carry 2-3 pairs of cheap gloves, as they get wet, i switch to a dry pair. i carry nice big mittens, too, for when my hands get rerally cold.
the secret is to keep your hands as dry as you can.

*-- by march, that towel is truely terrible!! :laugh:
grandpa told me-"never wrestle with a pig. you both get muddy and the pig likes it".

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2009, 07:44 AM »
Jiggin, i envy you and i also have buddys that can just wear work gloves ice fishing. not me i am in a neverending  search for the latest greatest glove or mittens.
you just have to say cold and my fingers are freezing lol i think i froze them too many times as a child .

The best hunting gloves i have found are from Manzella pricey, but realy well made and warm. i got mine from saks online.
they would probably be great ice fishing gloves if you prefer gloves over mittens.

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Deserves got nothing to do with it."
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2009, 07:56 AM »
I use a couple of old beat up gloves.  I buy them the next size up from what I usually wear.  Then the lining won't stick to my fingers as bad.  I also found that gloves with a removable liner work well.  You can dry the liner out inside next to the woodstove and use a back-up pair while you wait.

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2009, 08:18 AM »
HT/Joka therm mittens not gloves ......i love em.......i pack them with 2 handwarmers and they are good for the day.....i bring three pairs.....one pair for drilling and setting up.....they go in the bag for a new pair, which i will wear for the day.....after  pick up i put my last pair on for the ride back to the truck......easy to slip on and off
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline baboosicfisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2009, 09:10 AM »
i usually get a set of liners of whatever is on sale, going to beat them up anyways so brands don't matter.  I where those underneath a fleece or wool set of mittens that have the glove fingers built in, i use those if i am setting traps or cooking.  If i am going to be drilling or traveling i have a set of elbow length waterproof mittens with wool mittens inside that, never been warmer.
Some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God

Offline bassranger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 20, 2009, 01:50 PM »
I use the same style as Jibbs except I wear the gloves.(that way if he steals mine I will know)
If I'm not fishing then I'm not happy

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #9 on: Jan 20, 2009, 02:24 PM »
I use the same style as Jibbs except I wear the gloves.(that way if he steals mine I will know)
which i already did once this year
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline Rainbow1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 20, 2009, 03:06 PM »
Try using latex painting gloves when your hands are going to get wet and switch back to regular when you're hanging out.

Offline thefinlessbrown2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • fulfilling dreams in good company
« Reply #11 on: Jan 20, 2009, 03:22 PM »
i wear fingerless glove mittens when i'm fishing but the mitten part flopping around can really be a pain .and when the hands get cold i throw on the fuzzy rubbas !!!but darn it hurts when you try n wipe the nose lol

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 20, 2009, 04:44 PM »
Just had another thought, check out OR (outdoor research) gloves. The nice thing about their gloves are that they are 2 piece, a liner fleece glove and a gore-tex outer shell. Designed for mountain climbing ie: such as Everest etc....cold weather gloves. Perfect for ice fishing. I have several different pairs (styles) and they are great.

JIGGIN

Offline Art 53

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Good things come to those who bait
« Reply #13 on: Jan 20, 2009, 05:26 PM »
I have a pair of down mittins that once I get off the quad I slip in hand warmers. Then I start drilling + cleaning with just gloves. Once I start checking depth +baiting I'll put on the mitt's between holes there already prewarmed and take the sting off  ART

Offline Snagged

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 20, 2009, 05:33 PM »
I bought a pair of Simms mittens for winter steelheading, they stink with a rod but are great for ice fishing. The mitten and thumb fold back for baiting up and tying knots. pricey but nice and warm, plus when baiting the fleece dries fast unless the mitten becomes unvelcroed and flops in the bait bucket, not so easy to take off but don't need to.
______________________ ______________________ ______________________ ______
Can't wait for the boy to be out of diapers, another 6 traps!

Offline Jiffy Man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 21, 2009, 07:23 AM »
I got a pair of ice armor mittens for x-mas. I love them. Warm and waterproof. Glad I didn't have to pay for them though.

Offline olrustyboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • sorry to leave
« Reply #16 on: Jan 21, 2009, 08:44 AM »
Thanks for the replies.I going to try the latex glove trick and of course the towel
treatment (duh). Like I said my problem is getting mittens back on after handling
fish. Dry hands should do the trick.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.