The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Yote question  (Read 1628 times)

Offline woodysouv

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Friends don't let Friends Fish Alone!!
Yote question
« on: Jan 22, 2010, 04:50 PM »
I know this is an ice fishing forum, but I notice a lot of guys hunt yotes on here.  I am looking to purchase a yote gun and want to get something that I can use below the shotgun line and can shoot at night.  I have been asking a few guys that know guns and have had a few reccommendations.  Top of the list is a .17HMR Savage.  The only downfall I have heard is you need to be on target, which I plan to be.  .223 and .243 were also reccommended but are not legal in the shotgun zone.  So I was wondering what the yote killers like on here.  Vex, I think you have mentioned yote hunting.  Any help would be good.  Plan to purchase tomorrow.  i know everyone says "get a good scope", so that is in the mix too.  Thanks and sorry for starting a nonfishing thread.

Offline outdoor junkie

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's walleye time!
Re: Yote question
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2010, 05:09 PM »
Ask Mr. Vexilar, he's a pretty big yote hunter and does quite well.

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2010, 05:36 PM »
CF rifles are legal for hunting except for a brief period before and during the regular deer season. A basic 223 will take any varmint you wish to hunt, a 243 is a decent choice that can double up for deer. Use a 220 Swift or 17 Rem without a problem myself. 17HMR work but are very limited on effective range

Offline Mr.Vexilar

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2010, 07:40 PM »
I have seen and witnessed many coyotes being taken with a .17 HMR savage.  Great guns!! A little less than par for a yote gun... But they will do the job.  My buddy busted a yote last weekend ( I watched) at 150 yrds with a .17 HMR shooting a .17 gr bullet.  Hit the dog right behind the shoulder right through the boiler room...... Dog went 30 yrds and piled up.  Last year I also seen him bust a yote at 230 yrds, Hail marry, hit the thing in the shoulder, held about 10 inches high of where he wanted to hit, and still ran 3/4 of a mile before seen pile up in the cornfield.  Body shots are ok with the .17 HMR but you WILL be tracking him if you hit him, and the ones i've seen hit with that small of a bullet... Do not bleed well!! but with as accurate as they are i would dial the thing in at 100 yrds...... DEAD NUTS ACCURATE!!!  Buy a good pair of shooting sticks or fold down bipod so you can stay steady while calling in the field, and put it on his head, he will dump.........  Maybe even step up a few grains... i think they make a .20 gr bullet for the HMR not 100% sure, but something with a little bigger hit in it would maybe help more.  The entry wound from a .17 gr HMR bullet is no bigger than your pinky finger, same as the exit wound.  DO not forget that you may also use shotguns while calling at night, gotta get your dogs inside 70 yrds with a full choke, but it can be done!! Especially at night!!  No buckshot at night, so we use Dead Coyote 3 1/2 inch loads.

Just like swift said, a .223 is a great gun, I am itching to get my hands on an AR 15 for them pesky yotes!!!!!!!  .223, 22-250, .243, any lower caliber rifle that wont blow the thing to shreds will work!   Good luck man! If you have any other questions that I may be able to help you with feel free to PM me!! Once you get me started talking yotes i dont shut up!! I'll leak all the information I have all day just for the fun of it!!!  Good Luck!

1 last thing btw......... DO NOT get discourage while calling yotes, it aint easy, not like a randy anderson DVD, they dont come running in 8 at a time balls to the walls!!  We average usually 1-10 called in coyotes out of every stand we make.  It can be very discouraging, but very rewarding when all comes together!

Offline woodysouv

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2010, 09:13 PM »
Thanks for the input guys, I really appreciate it.  Vex, I am just getting into Yote hunting so I will probably be hitting you up with some PM's to get some advice.  I am slightly confused on the rules of rifles below the shotgun line.  It is sounding like this rule only applies during deer season??  I will have to read up in the michigan hunting guide.  I will let you know what I go with tomorrow.  Buying myself a birthday present.  Thanks again.

Offline Mr.Vexilar

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2010, 09:33 PM »
Anytime man!! More than willing to help in any way i possibly can!

Offline nickabod

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2010, 10:17 AM »
I'm not an expert, but a 12ga and some specialized loads should cover a lot of the territory below the line. unless you have some big country that you're hunting. A buy at work got a .204 ( i think thats what it is) sweet little gun. really flat shooting.

Offline fishinfreak89

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 24, 2010, 10:24 AM »
bullocksguns.com go there and send them a email its my grandpa he knows pretty much everything he may have a great setup for sale

Offline kmonty

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Yeah Eh!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 25, 2010, 07:52 AM »
Mmm reminds me of being back home! Used to pick up dead deer on the side of the road and bring them to camp, put them out on the ice with a predator call, set up the portable ice shack and fish and shoot yotes! Good times... as for the gun, a .223 is good.
Yooper!

In daa beginning der was nuttin.. Den on da first day god created da U.P. On da second day he created da partridge, da deer, da bear, da fish, and da duck. On da turd day he said let der be Yoopers to roam da U.P eh. On da forth day he created da udder world below!!

Offline Tief2131

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 25, 2010, 08:35 AM »
im a fan of the 13 ga with a full choke or a turkey choke with 3 in 00 buckshot
Tief

Offline Tief2131

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 25, 2010, 08:36 AM »
i meant 12 ga
Tief

Offline woodysouv

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 25, 2010, 09:40 AM »
Ended up going with a Savage 110 .22-.250.  It was a combo on sale at Cabela's, and was in my budget.  Been saving points on my credit card, gift cards from christmas and birthday money.  So nothing out of pocket for me.  $450 was the sale price.  I will see how it shoots soon. 

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #12 on: Jan 25, 2010, 09:45 AM »
thats the gun im gonna get when i get some cash.the coyotes ive seen around here are to skittish to get in shotgun range

Offline Mr.Vexilar

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 25, 2010, 09:47 AM »
100% of all coyotes I kill are killed with a 12 guage.  Shooting 3 1/2 inch #4 buck.  Took one out last wknd at 105 paces........ Had to give em a few insurance shots.... But he ended up in the back of the truck!

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #14 on: Jan 25, 2010, 10:49 AM »
100% of all coyotes I kill are killed with a 12 guage.  Shooting 3 1/2 inch #4 buck.  Took one out last wknd at 105 paces........ Had to give em a few insurance shots.... But he ended up in the back of the truck!
that rocks you just saved me some cash.im gonna bereak out old crusty. my shotgun that been passed down in the family and is only accurate with buckshot.lol.havent seen any yotes around hhere lately but i know they will show up again lookin for sitting ducks

Offline fishermanbrian85

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 25, 2010, 11:33 AM »
my bro is fishinfreak 89 my grandpas gun shop is a great place i use a 22-250

Offline woodysouv

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 25, 2010, 11:53 AM »
I wanted a new toy and had no small caliber rifle.  With this I can shoot cheap enough to mess around and can still kill what I want to.  Pretty much wanted a new gun though.  I am excited.

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 25, 2010, 12:56 PM »
Combo scopes are a crap shoot. Once you start sighting it in and end up struggling with consistency, the round may be fine, the scope is wandering. Short range shooting with a long range gun may be fine, air it out and cheap scopes usually don't cut it. Nice call on the Savage, penny for penny as accurate as any out of the box

Offline Mr.Vexilar

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 25, 2010, 03:28 PM »
Yup be careful with scopes... Usually doesnt pay to skimp out on a scope.....  More headache than its worth!!

Once work picks up and I start getting some extra cash again, i will be investing in an AR-15....... Not sure which caliber yet, probably a .223 or .243, strictly for yotes....... If I can find a deal on a 22 250, i will be buying one of those also.

Offline DyingBreed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DYING BREED
« Reply #19 on: Jan 25, 2010, 03:55 PM »
YOTES! We farm in the conn. river valley of Vermont. When the river freezes they come over from N.H. also. Buddy shots a .204 ruger, loves it. Another buddy has a 250-3000 savage (picked it up when we were kids!) I'm just an old fashioned 10 ga. H&R man. 3 1/2in. #2, full choke. Rolls turkeys just fine too. $75 brand new....27yrs. ago! 
 22-250 great choice! Nail one for the farmers too...we'd appreciate it!
If the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy !  Fish on, gotta go ..........!!!

Offline tench

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 25, 2010, 04:02 PM »
Got one with my .30-30 this deer season. Not a good yote gun per se, a 170gr bullet pokes a real big hole. Didn't take another step though!
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable,
a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
~John Buchan

Offline Mr.Vexilar

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 25, 2010, 04:28 PM »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Got one with my .30-30 this deer season. Not a good yote gun per se, a 170gr bullet pokes a real big hole. Didn't take another step though!

Ya... I've busted 1 or two with the .300 win mag before... dont leave much to spare.

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 25, 2010, 04:39 PM »
Ya... I've busted 1 or two with the .300 win mag before... dont leave much to spare.
Try a 270 Win with a 90gr TNT @ 90yds, poor thing had a volley ball sized cavity where the far shoulder used to be, ended that experiment fairly fast

Offline woodysouv

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 25, 2010, 04:52 PM »
The scope that came on it seems okay.  I just wanted something to get started, and could not afford to go any higher.  I figure I can get started and then once I get into it I can jump up to a more expensive scope.  Easier to get a decent gun and then upgrade the scope later.  I can't wait to post a pic of some dead yotes!!

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 25, 2010, 05:21 PM »
Get some Loc-Tite and redo the base screws, good luck

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.