The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Any good perch lakes around KZOO?  (Read 2756 times)

SHAKEY12

Any good perch lakes around KZOO?
« on: Dec 29, 2005, 08:51 PM »
New to the area and the site. Moved here a year and half ago. Ice fished a couple of times late last year, my first time on the ice. Instantly became addicted. The wife bought me a new fish trap guide series shanty for x-mas and I'm chomping at the bit. Looking for any info on some good perch and walleye lakes around KALAMAZOO. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Offline Kziceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Any good perch lakes around KZOO?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30, 2005, 01:36 PM »
Shake...

Gravel Lake South Of Lawton on M-40 has some Perch. Gun Lake up near Hastings has Walleye. 

The best Perch and Walleye fishing in MI is on the East side of the state. Lake St. Clair for perch although it is heavily over fished in the winter...lots of small perch. Saginaw Bay (off Linwood) is really good for Walleye...Brest Bay on Lk Erie is also good for Walleye.

My bait always catches fish...or dies trying.

SHAKEY12

« Reply #2 on: Dec 30, 2005, 06:59 PM »
Thanks for the info about gun and gravel. I'll have to try them when the cold weather and ice come back.

Offline Kziceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2005, 10:00 PM »
...you can find a few nice Perch on Sugarloaf also...but they a hard to find some times. Look at the Sugarloaf posts for more info.

My bait always catches fish...or dies trying.

SHAKEY12

« Reply #4 on: Dec 31, 2005, 07:41 PM »
Thanks again KZICEMAN, I only live about 3 miles from sugarloaf. Fished little and big sugarloaf alot over the summer. Caught a lot of nice pike on little sugarloaf, nice bass, crappie, and gills on big sugarloaf. I also found a stolen car just off the launch ramp. Thanks again for the advice!

Offline splash

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Its how you thumb it that counts
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2006, 07:02 AM »
have fished gravel for last 17yrs-3-4 times aweek in open water,3-6 thru ice a year.used to catch alot of quality perch but the last 3 years havn't caught enough perch for 3 decent meals.you might try shaffer lake in van buren co. saw some hogs caught there last year.

Offline ButchT

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2006, 07:44 PM »
http://www.dnr.state.mi.us/spatialdatalibrary/pdf_maps/Inland_Lake_Maps/VAN_BUREN/SHAFER_LAKE.PDF

The above link will give you a map of Shafer Lake in Van Buren county.  I lived in South Haven for a few years and had a lot of success fishing for perch through the ice on Shafer.  The magic depth for me was 56 FOW.  Go out from the access site and angle to the left about 30 degrees til you find 56'.  Had my best luck jigging Swedish Pimples with a perch minnow or two hooked through the head, either treble or single hook.  Silver plate (the one with the round bumps, not chrome finish) worked the best.  Good luck.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.