The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Need a report on Lake St. Clair ice  (Read 5557 times)

Offline Fishondog

• IceShanty Rookie
Need a report on Lake St. Clair ice
« on: Dec 27, 2005, 02:37 PM »
 Any good ice left in the canals or anywhere?
Fishon!

Offline FidelCasserole

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Need a report on Lake St. Clair ice
« Reply #1 on: Dec 27, 2005, 03:24 PM »
I fished at the Day sail ramp at Metro Beach today.  6 - 8 inches of ice with some places having 2 - 3 inches of slush on top.    We caught some fish but nothing of real size. 

Offline Fishondog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 27, 2005, 03:26 PM »
 thanks thinking of heading up tommorow
Fishon!

Crappie84

« Reply #3 on: Dec 27, 2005, 10:17 PM »
FidelCasserole St. Clair is my main lake we went out to the Raft yesterday and caught 50 fish.  I had to leave early for work and that was a terrible day out there.  Usually 100 fish days or more are common, the ice is still 8 inches thick with 1-2 inches of slush! Not to bad for all the warm weather we have had lately. I am going out again tomorrow, you have to sort through the perch to get the big ones but its not to bad and there are 8-11" blue gills that are caught commonly every day. I'll keep you updated for any more info just let me know. Tight Lines
Bryan

Offline bobt0248

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 28, 2005, 01:59 PM »
Fished this morning at Metro Beach and the Day Sail Ramp. Like others said there is about 2 or 3 inches of slush on the ice and the thickness this morning ranged from 3 to 5 inches. Just started to rain and I do not know how the ice will hold up. Caught a lot of fish but almost all of them were on the very small size. Might try the Raft like PerchKing said tomorrow morn. Looked at the public access site on south river road and it does not look good at all. Only a couple of fishermen on the ice and I think that they came from the houses on shore not the public access. Very shaky looking.

Bob
The trick to being a happy fisherman...is to be EASILY PLEASED... John Geirach At The Grave Of The Unknown Fisherman

Crappie84

« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2005, 10:24 PM »
bobt0248 did you make it out to the raft<?> If so did you do anything? We tore the pumpkinseeds and gills up wendsday. Tight Lines
Bryan

Offline bobt0248

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2005, 08:03 AM »
PerchKing

No I did not make it out there as of yet. I might try this afternoon. How was the ice on Wed? Its out a hour drive for me and I would like to make sure the ice is okay.

Bob
The trick to being a happy fisherman...is to be EASILY PLEASED... John Geirach At The Grave Of The Unknown Fisherman

Crappie84

« Reply #7 on: Dec 30, 2005, 02:27 PM »
bobt0248 what city are you comming from<?> I live in Clarkston and in a good morning leaving around 6:00 i can be at Selfridge Bait and tackle around 6:30 and then to the raft by a little after 7:00! There was 8 inches of ice on Wendsday still but let me warn you i forgot my ice creepers and the lake looked like Joe Louis. Bring them if you have them if not 3.99 is worth it for a pair. Tight Lines

Offline Just fishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 30, 2005, 07:08 PM »
I greqw up in algonac andstill have family on that side, my brother says he has got into some gills in the docks at Bouvier bridge and had decent ice all his fishing on the big lake has produced alot of small perch.
Scott Daniels Just fishing Michigan

Offline bobt0248

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 30, 2005, 10:25 PM »
Perchking

I live in the Royal Oak area. The drive is not too bad for me these days now that I am retired. I used to work midnights at the Post Office and would leave work at 7:30 am and go straight to the lake to fish. I would fish all day and then go home to clean fish and try to get a little sleep before work again. I retired a year and a half ago and it is really nice to be able to fish feeling wide awake and to stay as long as I like to. I read another report from another site and they said that the ice is still good at the Raft but beware of all the holes around the area. I do not know if I will get out before the new year and I hope that the ice holds up after. I hear we are going to get a little snow tonight. Let me know if you go out and keep me aware of the ice conditions. Good luck.

Bob

Crappie84

« Reply #10 on: Jan 01, 2006, 05:04 PM »
Well it's nice to meet you bob my dad just retired and he says the same things about being able to fish when ever he wants.  I hope that is not to far for me but being only 22 i have a long way to go so i guess I'll stick to your plan fish, clean and sleep after.  I'll keep you posted on the St. Clair fishing Tight Lines
Bryan

Offline bobt0248

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 01, 2006, 06:22 PM »
Hey Bryan

Nice talking to you also. Ah 22, not sure that I remember it at all. The years go by real fast. Took a drive out to Metro Beach to do some running and to take a look at the ice. There were about 15 people fishing on the lake via the day sail area. Talked to one guy coming in and he said that there was about 3 inchs or so of ice and it was getting a little shaky. He told me that he caught quite a few fish but they were all little and he threw them all back Looked like there was ice out to about a half mile or so then open water. Looked over at the back boat basin and there was about 10 people out there and they all had the same results, small fish. I am not sure that I will go out until we get some better ice conditions. Have you been over to the Raft, Fair Haven area lately? Just wondering how the ice is over there. Talk to you later.

Bob

Crappie84

« Reply #12 on: Jan 02, 2006, 08:03 PM »
Bob I haven't been to the raft lately not since last week I hoped to get out wendsday or Thursday but i know the ice is almost gone out there.  Fished a small lake in Clarkston with my dad last night and we did pretty good on the gills and crappies.  The only problem was there was 1-2" of bad ice that you drilled through first then an additional 6 inches under that.  What i am saying is the ice is real soft right now the augar blew through it in about 2 seconds but the fishing was good i would hate to stop and wait another week before it froze solid again. Keep me updated if you get out at all.
Tight Lines
Bryan

Offline usmarine301

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 08, 2006, 08:25 AM »
Good Morning Guys

Could someone please give me a address up my Lake St. Clair. Iwould like to punch it into  my mapfinder so I have directions. I'm coming up from Northern Ohio This weekend possibly depending on the reports I get t his weekend. I got out of the MArines a few years ago and have not made it up there since my dad use to take me.

Thanks

p.s. Any tips on where to try would like gills and perch.

usmarine301

semper fi

Offline bobt0248

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 08, 2006, 02:00 PM »
usmarine301

I am not sure what you mean, an address of a place near by or GPS coordinates. In the city of New Baltimore which is close to a lot of ice fishing on Lk St Clair the MacDonald Public Library address is 36480 Main Street, New Baltimore, Michigan, 48047. The Gps coordinates for New Baltimore is roughly N 42.44.63-W82.44.04. If I were you I would hold for a while because the conditions are unfishable on the lake. There is no safe ice to speak of and I would hate for you to drive up for nothing. The weather outlook for here is not all too promising for the next week. Hopefully then it will start making ice. If you want I will post a note for you on this board when the conditions are better.

Bob

Crappie84

« Reply #15 on: Jan 09, 2006, 11:50 AM »
Bob is right usmarine there is no ice fishable at the time  :'( We will keep you updated to the minute with reports if anyone gets out as soon as the cold air comes back in.  I don't know the gps points but Fair Haven will give you plenty of places to fish just like New Baltimore they are right next to each other.
Tight Lines

Offline Just fishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 10, 2006, 03:58 AM »
Talked to my brother last night,he said him and his bud were cleaning a mess of slob gills and specs out of the Bouvier marina  . says they walked over from the "Raft" bar & restaraunt. Wouldn't test it myself, though he said had six inches of ice just shaky gettin there. be safe good luck
Scott Daniels Just fishing Michigan

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.