The Dark House Spearing board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Smelt Spearing????????  (Read 8515 times)

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
Smelt Spearing????????
« on: Feb 06, 2008, 10:11 PM »
First I will start off by saying that I felt the same way you are probably feeling right now and that is why spear smelt they are already a small fish and with holes in them they wont be much of a meal but I plan on using real skinny spearing tines so it wont be a problame.I want to try spearing some smelt this year on Higgins lake in Michigan but there are a few laws that concern me. The law of spearing states that you cant spear in any designated trout lakes so that would mean that Higgins is out for spearing, but I know of a few guys that spear pike on Higgins. So any one know how this law works cause I my self spear on a designated trout lake (Muskegon lake in Muskegon county) and know of at least 10 other guys that spear on this lake and have seen allot of other spearing shanty's on other designated trout lakes. Any one have any input on this topic ??? .O yeah and feel free to read the Michigan fishing guide and tell me what you think on the section on spearing cause maybe I'm missing something.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/bow-spear-fishing_151596_7.pdf

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
Re: Smelt Spearing????????
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2008, 02:04 PM »
First I will start off by saying that I felt the same way you are probably feeling right now and that is why spear smelt they are already a small fish and with holes in them they wont be much of a meal but I plan on using real skinny spearing tines so it wont be a problame.I want to try spearing some smelt this year on Higgins lake in Michigan but there are a few laws that concern me. The law of spearing states that you cant spear in any designated trout lakes so that would mean that Higgins is out for spearing, but I know of a few guys that spear pike on Higgins. So any one know how this law works cause I my self spear on a designated trout lake (Muskegon lake in Muskegon county) and know of at least 10 other guys that spear on this lake and have seen allot of other spearing shanty's on other designated trout lakes. Any one have any input on this topic ??? .O yeah and feel free to read the Michigan fishing guide and tell me what you think on the section on spearing cause maybe I'm missing something.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/bow-spear-fishing_151596_7.pdf

Never mind I found out the answer. It is OK to spear them on the lakes I'm interested in so I have one more fish to spear on the list.

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Me and my fishing buddy
« Reply #2 on: Feb 25, 2008, 05:27 AM »
Higgins, How did the smelt spearing go?

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
« Reply #3 on: Feb 25, 2008, 07:50 PM »
Higgins, How did the smelt spearing go?

Not to good the the problem was that they wouldn't come up to the surface, they where in 70fow and 40ft down so my spear was a little short at only 6ft  :laugh:

Offline MrMarty51

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 25, 2008, 10:56 PM »
Might have to put a bigger charge in it to get it to reach that deep.  :roflmao: :wacko: :whistle:  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

"Every hour spent fishing is NOT taken from ones life"Quote from Grant Boyson

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 26, 2008, 08:42 PM »
try hooking your spear up to an air compressor and firing it like a harpoon gun, if that's legal.

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
« Reply #6 on: Feb 29, 2008, 10:58 PM »
try hooking your spear up to an air compressor and firing it like a harpoon gun, if that's legal.

Don't be stupid------------That is way to illegal but instead I'm going to drop a bed of nails down the hole :clap: :thumbsup: . I'll just tell the CO that it is a unique spear ;)2 :callcops:

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #7 on: Mar 10, 2008, 09:26 AM »
My recommendation for spearing smelt is to do it after they have been removed from the lake. Guts have been removed from the fish. Fish have been cooked and you're spearing them on your plate with a fork (which would make the ideal spear for a smelt!).  :flex:

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.