The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: chainsaw powered hot auger  (Read 5743 times)

Offline williev18

• Team IceShanty Regular
chainsaw powered hot auger
« on: Dec 25, 2014, 12:46 PM »
So ive seen a few u tube vids of hot augers powered by hopped up chainsaw engines. They cut ice like a mofo and make all kinds of noise doing it. For some perverse reason I want to build one. I have a semi retired Husky 455 that I would use, and plan on using a tuned pipe off a 50 cc mini bike. My ? is does any one know what these guys are using for a gear box. I found one made for earth auger conversion, but it looks geared very low for my application. If any one has had any experience with this mod I would love to hear from you. If not I may start watching craigs list for an old Jiffy, or eskimo to massage, and put a pipe on.  ;D

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: chainsaw powered hot auger
« Reply #1 on: Dec 25, 2014, 06:33 PM »
I saw a conversion kit to make a chainsaw into an auger on e-bay a couple months ago. If memory serves me correctly, it was made by homelite. Probably be a fun thing to do for ha ha's.
It must be something in the water.

Offline williev18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 25, 2014, 07:40 PM »
I saw that kit too, still looks like a pretty big reduction rate. From the looks of the vids Im seeing im guessing they are running a 1:10 reduction or so, the way its cutting I bet that auger is turning 1000rpm or more. I cant imagine the auger is turning at full engine RMP though.

this is what im looking to try to recreate, I can just imagine the crowd you'd pull on a crowded pond with this thing.

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 25, 2014, 09:09 PM »
I think you would be better off with a modified auger engine if you ask me, to avoid all the mounting problems. I don't know what auger you were going to use, but they are basically the same thing as a chain saw. The one in the video is a highly modified strike master solo engine. It will be hit or miss on whether or not that pipe will work for your engine, as a huge determinate to the shape is the dimensions of your exhaust port. Someone on this board has done this before. I don't know what exactly was done, but the video I saw is sure looked like the gear box was modified. Either that or the old style auger he used just came that fast. He made his own custom expansion pipe, bumped up compression, and all kinds of other cool stuff. I hope he chimes in as I would like to hear exactly what was done. He had an old chipper blade in the latest video. If he had a new auger like a nils or lazer, I bet it would be right up there with that strikemaster.
-Tom

Offline williev18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 26, 2014, 06:16 PM »
I was thinking the mod auger might be easier, but have already done quite a bit of top end work to the saw for a past project. I was hoping the gear box wouldn't be all that complicated, because he saw already screams. I know the mini bike pipe wouldn't be an exact tune, but would be easier to tweak then building a new pipe from scratch. I found an old Eskimo 3.5hp powerhead that needs carb work for under $100 that I think may be an easier route at this point. Pretty sure if I port, polish, and bump compression, then add bigger carb and tweak the governor I can get her to turn quite a bit faster, just not sure what kind RPM's those old auger lower end can take.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 27, 2014, 09:32 AM »
Here is your transmission....

Makes me want to see what an Stihl 086 would do!!

<*)))>{

Offline williev18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 27, 2014, 08:25 PM »
Yeah I had seen the Lewis multi drill, too bad that bad boy is over $300. It doesnt seem to be turning the auger all that fast, but I my saw is turning another 3000rpm over stock so might be worth a try. Maby I will have to keep my eye out for a used one.

Offline williev18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 27, 2014, 08:46 PM »
I was thinking more a planetary set up like this.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alpha-Gear-Drives-Inline-gearbox-speed-reducer-LP-090-MO1-10-111-10-1-Servo-/231428482565?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35e2366605

With my saw hitting peak power at right around 10,000 rpm and topping out at 12,000 rpm that would put the auger speed at roughly 900-1000rpm, under load. Im pretty sure if I turn my lazer power auger at that speed it should cut like a son of gun.

most of the saws you see on u tube have a square gear box built over the chain sprocket, not sure if they are using a planetary gear like this inside it or are doing some sort of chain reduction. Hoping to hear from some one that has built or seen one.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Dec 28, 2014, 10:20 AM »
Man that cuts through the ice real fast. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.