Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Snow Cover  (Read 1703 times)

losojos

Snow Cover
« on: Jan 03, 2004, 12:20 PM »
 :) JUST WONDERING WHAT EFFECT SNOW COVER HAS ON FISH - IN REGARDS TO HOW THEY WILL OR WILL NOT FEED....  :)
WHAT DO YOU THINK???

Offline lebruce

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re:Snow Cover
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2004, 12:39 PM »
To me I think they feed better do too low light condictions.When you get snow on the ice switch to glow jigs. ;)

Offline supserdave

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2004, 05:01 PM »
Snow patches on otherwise clear ice can be good bets to try to. I hope the weatherman is wrong about this snow though, that will really mess things up good. I like the cold in the forecast, but keep the snow.
Dave

Offline goody

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Born to fish, Forced to work!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2004, 10:24 AM »
Snow on the ice can be good and bad.  Bad in the sense that it hides weak patches and insulates the ice so it doesnt make ice as fast as normal and can actually promote bad ice at times as well.  However, it is also good for hiding your movements, hiding the sun so fish may feed more, etc.  I wrote an article on this on another website that can be found here:  http://www.iowaoutdoors.org/article.php?story=20031215233120594

goody
Born to fish, forced to work!!

Des Moines, Iowa

longercast101

« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2004, 02:45 PM »
Goody- are there any averages as too how much ice is formed in a 24 hr period when the temp is as cold as it is now?

Offline goody

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Born to fish, Forced to work!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2004, 09:23 AM »
I dont know if there is any info out there on that or not....I am sure there is a chart from a study done somewhere.  It just depends so much on some other factors that it is hard to average....lake/pond depth, wind, etc.  I always figured that once the temps got below 15 it was making close to an an inch (maybe a little less) a night.  With the snow on it I know it depends on depth of lake, depth of snow, etc. in terms of how much snow deters the formation of ice due to insulation.  Would be cool if someone out there has data on this, but I doubt it.

goody
Born to fish, forced to work!!

Des Moines, Iowa

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.