Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Macbride Walleyes  (Read 1669 times)

Offline jj4smith

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
Macbride Walleyes
« on: Jan 01, 2004, 07:13 PM »
I recently read an article about walleye fishing on Lake Macbride.  The article talked about how walleye population has exploded in the last couple of years due to the recent reconstruction of fish habitat.  A few spots where also suggested on where to fish for walleyes.  Well, I went and tried these spots the other day and did not catch a thing.  Does anybody out there catch walleyes through the ice on Macbride?  If so could you give me some advice on where?

arrowhead

Re:Macbride Walleyes
« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 2004, 08:44 PM »
I'm not a walleye fisherman really, but i've fished McBride a dozen times over the past two summers.
Maybe since there was an artical about the lake, some areas you've fished were over fished since these spots were revieled to every one. If these spots were over fished the fish would be turned away from baits, even live baits. If they get pressured to much they are likly to move.
I can't really give any tips on where the fish might be, but what I can tell you is don't always follow what a other people say about where fish are and what they are bitting on. Sure the guys at the bait shop and magazine articals help you out, but it's still up to the angler to put the pieces to gether that catch fish.
Maybe the day the columnist wrote that article the fish were in a different pattern or mood. Maybe they perfered a smaller jig, or a different presentation, a different color, bait and so on.  There is so much that contributes to a fishes mood, maybe the day they fished the lake it was completly different when you fished it.
My best advice is get a contour map of the lake, and circle sections of the lake where you think will hold  fish at differnt times.  Just go by your gut and not by someone who was fishing the lake at a different time.

arrowhead

Offline jj4smith

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re:Macbride Walleyes
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2004, 07:24 AM »
Thanks for the reply. :)

I've always heard that walleyes move to shallow water at night to feed. So I guess next time I go out to try and catch some walleyes on Macbride I will go by my gut feeling and fish a shallow rocky area.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.