Author Topic: St. Croix Premier Med action 32"  (Read 3974 times)

Offline jhawkes2

• Team IceShanty Regular
St. Croix Premier Med action 32"
« on: Jan 01, 2007, 07:35 AM »
I'm still hemming and hawing over what rod/reel combo that I want to get, so I thought I would ask around.

I'm considering the 32" St. Croix premier med action (32")... anyone have one of these?

If so, can they handle fishing a 1/2 to 3/4 oz jig?  I would be using this primarily as a laker rig and also wanted to know if there is enough "backbone" in this rod?

Also, for anyone that has bought the combo in this rod series... what is the quality of the reel?

Thanks for your help and happy new year!

PWR BAIT

Re: St. Croix Premier Med action 32"
« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 2007, 07:41 AM »
I dont own one where can you buy them? do you have to buy them from st croix? can you buy just the rod or  does it have to be a combo?

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #2 on: Jan 01, 2007, 07:51 AM »
I have fished with all three St.Crois rods available the Premiere, the Avid and the Legen, if possible I would stay away from the premiere as it is lower quality then the others. I think they designed it as an entry level rod to get the lower price point in the stores. I have broken a few of them and decided to go up.

Depending on the size of the lakers in your area you may want to go to MH, it will give you that little extra when pulling big fish from deep water.....They are available on-line from most major retailers......Thorne Bros, Cabela's, Reeds, Fishusa...you name it they carry them. The reels are not so hot in the combo so stay with rod only if you can.

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #3 on: Jan 01, 2007, 07:53 AM »
i have the exact same rod and love it...surely plenty of backbone , yet sensitive to detect light biters...i have even used it with great success on crappies...the reel is another story...i am very dissapointed in the reel...drag is not the smoothest and needs constant tinkering to stay in sweet spot. i still use the rod regularly but the reel sits on a shelf in my garage

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 01, 2007, 08:27 AM »
I have fished with all three St.Crois rods available the Premiere, the Avid and the Legen, if possible I would stay away from the premiere as it is lower quality then the others. I think they designed it as an entry level rod to get the lower price point in the stores. I have broken a few of them and decided to go up.

The only difference between the Avid and premier ice rods are the handles. The rod blanks are exactly the same. I guess the woven graphite handle of the avid costs 10 dollars more than cork.
Ken                                          

Offline jhawkes2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 01, 2007, 08:52 AM »

Depending on the size of the lakers in your area you may want to go to MH, it will give you that little extra when pulling big fish from deep water.....They are available on-line from most major retailers......Thorne Bros, Cabela's, Reeds, Fishusa...you name it they carry them. The reels are not so hot in the combo so stay with rod only if you can.

Thanks for the reply...usefull info... what is MH, though?

Jim

Offline jhawkes2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 01, 2007, 08:57 AM »
Thanks for the reply...usefull info... what is MH, though?

Jim

Never mind... MH = Medium/Heavy... thought it was a brand...

Offline jhawkes2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 01, 2007, 09:07 AM »
Anyone use Frabill or Fig Rig rods?

Thanks

Offline brown-time

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jig one up for me
« Reply #8 on: Jan 01, 2007, 10:09 PM »
I've been using St. Croix for years and love my 32" Avids (M and MH) with the woven graphite handles, I think they make a difference on the feel.  That being said, my new Frabill Ultra(M) also had a woven handle, plus vibration discs.  It's the most senitive and well made period, IMO

Offline yooperdave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 02, 2007, 04:54 AM »
the st. croix. rods are great, you cant go wrong usually, shen you purchase quality in the first p,lace
da splake chaser

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
« Reply #10 on: Jan 18, 2007, 04:57 PM »

I also have 1 28" Med St Croix Premier combo .. it was a gift. As billditrite said the the rod seems fine ... I've only used it twice .... but the reel is another story. The instant anti-reverse is nice, there's very little play in the reel but the drag is weak and not consistent.

Those who are brave are free ..

Offline bowzog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 20, 2007, 06:16 AM »
I've got one......no probs so far ......with rod or reel. ;D
been out on the ice lately?......slip slidin' away.....slip slidin' away.....I sat down in my hut and now I'm slip slidin' away....

Offline mcully

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 23, 2007, 07:45 AM »
Are those St. Croix reels? I noticed the larger spinning reels being used by many of the walleye pros on television lately. I was wondering what people who use them thought. The reels I've noticed are a blue with silver spool and ST CROIX very visibly on the spool.

Offline fishnfool-3

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 25, 2007, 01:46 PM »
I just picked up 4 more Gander Mountain Guide Series ice rods on sale today. I own several G Loomis and St Croix soft water rods and a Legend ice rod. These Guide Series IM7 rods they are selling have just flat amazed me for the money. I ended up buying 4 more of the spinning rods this fall because of worrying that they wont be the same next year! They are very reasonably priced and will hang with any of the big boys I have in my arsenel or have tried.
Now the ice rods in the same IM7 series are the same deal. Amazing!!! And only $11.99 and that is not a misprint! They had them in the store today for 20% off and that makes them less than 10 bucks. You want a high tech rod for next to nothing? You need to try them to believe it.
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it!!! Fish On!!

Offline Kyle_

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 25, 2007, 01:50 PM »
i got a deal from a buddy on st.croix premier med action 28" and the reel isnt very good, however i paired up the rod with a quantum optix 10 and its my favourite rod and reel now forsure.  got the combo for less than most would pay for just the rod, so i still got a good deal  :P

Offline lotwfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 25, 2007, 11:44 PM »
The rods are nice, and the reels make nice depth markers, or marker weights haha. I havent heard too many reports of the reels being of good quality.

Robin

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Jan 26, 2007, 08:58 PM »
The St Croix reels I have sampled are some variety of dime store toy. ::)

I love the St Croix rods with a Shimano on them. ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.