Author Topic: light or stiff action?  (Read 2032 times)

Offline WeponsOfBassDestruction

• IceShanty Rookie
light or stiff action?
« on: Jan 08, 2007, 04:10 PM »
when you are fishing for bass which is better: a stiffer action rod or a lighter action rod commonly used for perch and smelt?
removed

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: light or stiff action?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2007, 04:26 PM »
Depends on how hard you like to set the hook.  You are going to get better hook sets with a stiffer rod, but because it is short and stiff, you wont get much forgiveness and you will lose a lot of tension when the fish head shakes or swims at you with the lure.  I always use the lightest rod I can get away with, then just set the hook hard.  The fish feel less tension when they bite, you can detect light bites easier and I like the way everyone stares, because your rod is completely bent over. 

Offline bigbucky1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2007, 04:35 PM »
Depends on how hard you like to set the hook.  You are going to get better hook sets with a stiffer rod, but because it is short and stiff, you wont get much forgiveness and you will lose a lot of tension when the fish head shakes or swims at you with the lure.  I always use the lightest rod I can get away with, then just set the hook hard.  The fish feel less tension when they bite, you can detect light bites easier and I like the way everyone stares, because your rod is completely bent over. 

I'll second that.  It is so much fun trying to get one in on a light action pole.
<br />

Offline hardh2ofish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2007, 09:20 PM »
You just dont ever know that your going to catch a big bass.  The biggest ive ever caught trough the ice was when i was gill fishin with 2 lb test.  If i had the choice which rod i had in hand though would be the one with more backbone.  Then again the lighter rod would be more fun and the bigger brag.  3 yrs ago i was prefishin  a tourny and had a huge bite that bent my rod way over on 3 lb test. we were mainly tryin to find the perch but after about 15 min a 9 lb cat came to the hole.  I was so juiced catching such a large cat on such a little rig and that there is about as much fun a guy can have.  Which rod would i rather have?  The lightest  i thought would possibly do the job.

Fishing should be the exercise of your skills- and its rewards the places it brings you to
                                                                           Negley Farson
Going Fishing

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 09, 2007, 06:46 AM »
I would suggest the lighter action rod. Even though Bass fight like a wet rag in winter, they shake their heads alot. and the stiff action can cause a jig to come loose like a thrown lure. The lighter action gives you the shock absorber effect. If you use the lighter action, be sure to have a smooth drag on the reel.  :tipup: :tipup:

Offline PondPro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FISH ON!!!!!!!!FISH OFF.............
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2007, 05:18 PM »
i would go with the light action
Tom G :tipup:<br />

Offline putback

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 08, 2007, 04:56 PM »
I'm with hardh2ofish, as light as I can get away with, it works well and its just plain fun. Except for the kids, set them up heaver, not to disappoint.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.