Author Topic: Jig Line...  (Read 1643 times)

Offline jhawkes2

• Team IceShanty Regular
Jig Line...
« on: Dec 23, 2006, 10:22 AM »
Going to be putting new line on my jig rods before the season starts (and ice forms) and wanted to see what folks had for line preference (brand i.e. Berkley, etc and type i.e. fluorocarbon, braid, etc.), before I make a purchase...

BTW, going to be putting on 4-10 lb line (crappie/perch-lakers)

Thanks in advance and Happy holidays!

PWR BAIT

Re: Jig Line...
« Reply #1 on: Dec 23, 2006, 04:23 PM »
I use 3lb gamma florocarbon for calicos and perch, for lake trout idont know ive never fished for them.

Offline jhawkes2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 23, 2006, 08:12 PM »
Thanks... anyone else have suggestions?

Offline walleye wizard

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 23, 2006, 08:49 PM »
for perch and crappies i use 4 lb trilene xl    and for lakers I would go to 6 or 8    I caught a 37 inch northern last year on 4 lb xl. A lot of guys go overboard with heavy line for bigger game fish but you really just need to set your drag or back reel to land big fish!!

Offline jhawkes2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 28, 2006, 04:44 PM »
I bought some Berkley Vanish Fluorocarbon (8lb) for my laker rod... anyone use this stuff ice fishing?

Offline brown-time

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jig one up for me
« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2006, 12:05 AM »
Best combo I've come up with is Power Pro 8# braid with a 6ft. leader of 4# P-Line fluoro.  You have an instant hookset and catch those quicker that the LX-3 says are sucking your jig but not moving it.  My hook-up rate went way up last winter after using it.  Six feet of leader is minimum because less will shock the line and break it with the hookset.  Six' gives some cushion, but little stretch.  P-Line is super strong.  If the braid starts icing up spray it with Real Magic to dissolve the ice and help with the guides too.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.