Author Topic: Spring Bobbers  (Read 1987 times)

Offline Deadheadfisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
Spring Bobbers
« on: Dec 18, 2006, 11:50 AM »
I have been fishing with spring bobbers for a few seasons now and i love the concept. I just don't like the ones that i have they tend to freeze up(Frabill Panfish Poppers.) I am wondering where i can get some good ones that aren't expensive, because being a student I can't Afford to drop 50 on a St Croix.

Offline dms

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Spring Bobbers
« Reply #1 on: Dec 18, 2006, 12:44 PM »
I saw a thread in the "equipment" forum about attaching a st. croix spring bobber (sold individually for about $7) to a rod. The tread had a nice picture too. Can someone help find that thread? I am new to this forum too.

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 18, 2006, 12:46 PM »
Deadhead fisherman,
I began taking apart ink-pens and extracting the springs from within. They twist on very easy, and can be stretched out to different tensions. Check different pens for different sizes of springs as well.
I no longer use springs, instead I use a very ultra light, short rod that has a tip so thin its nearly invisible. The weight of my smallest jigs even weigh it down. I can detect fish inhailing, swim bys and the lightest of pick-ups. One secret is to watch the dainty coil of line that leaves the last eyehole on the rod. Prior to you rod tip or spring bobber quivering or moving, the line will tighten or loosen. Now that I fish with 1# and 3/4# test I find springless works better for me. Hard to watch the Hawks though if your paying attention to the rod tip and line! Good luck. :) :tipup:

Offline CrappieGuy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 715-379-2376
« Reply #3 on: Dec 18, 2006, 01:11 PM »
Here you go DMS, go to the end of the 2nd page and beginning of the 3rd page for picture and explanation of how to do it.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=31578.30

Offline ratsotail

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Spring bobbers and ratsotails!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 18, 2006, 07:30 PM »
These are my favorite spring bobbers of all time and I have used them for many years. I don't use them with the shrink wrap, but attach them with electrician's tape. They are two bucks a piece and last fairly long before they get a bit kinked after catching a large fish. Try 'em out!

http://www.flirtygirty.com/sprngbob.htm

ratsotail

Offline brown-time

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jig one up for me
« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2006, 12:34 AM »
I love the St. Croix spring bobber on the new Legends, but only for panfish and if it's not too cold. I've had some freeze up and cost me some big fish.  I now use a Mr. Jigger rocker stand that is more sensitive than even the best spring and works like a top!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.