Author Topic: Bobber stops?  (Read 5188 times)

Offline CoachWalleye74

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SD
Bobber stops?
« on: Feb 14, 2020, 01:01 PM »
Anyone have the secrets to type and management of bobber stops?  The yarn style get tangled if not clipped, if clipped they fray.  The rubber stops don't stay well and have issue with bail rollers.  I tried the Micro stops (http://www.clearlyoutdoors.com/fnimall/smart_stop_bobbers_micro.phtml) and love the idea of being able to put them on after the bobber if needed, but they don't stay very well and really get caught on the line roller of my sienna reels.  Thinking I will probably go back to good yarn style stops and not clip them.  Any secrets out there?

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Bobber stops?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 14, 2020, 01:28 PM »
I use the Thill slip knot bobber stop.  This seems to hold and not fray.  The thread they use is a little better than the cheaper options.  I like the idea of being able to move them when I need, and keep the tails long enough that I can always pull them tight after a few movements.  I change line about once a year, so I really don't put too much stock into going a different route. 

I hear you on the idea of being able to put a stop on after tying a jig on, and realizing that I don't have a stop near where I need it to me.  Came across that a few times even this year. 

There were a few threads on this site a few years back.  You could search this topic and come across something that agrees with you.
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline capt.crappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 14, 2020, 01:45 PM »
I have used several different types. The tie on kind work the best for me. Some of the tie on kinds. Do seem to Frey or get loose. The ones I am using now I bought at Cabellas. One thing I often do is tie 2 on my line right away. That way if one goes bad or Freys I can keep right on  fishing. I found with braided line two of them seen to work better. 

Offline grababrewski

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 14, 2020, 01:47 PM »
I picked one of these up at the St Paul ice fishing show a couple years ago. It works good. You don't have to untie your hook to tie on the bobber stop.

https://berdsinnovations.com/shop?olsPage=products%2Fspot-knot-bobber-stop-tie-system

Offline Nmanroe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 14, 2020, 02:21 PM »
Hi new user i would put a bead on the line and tie a knot or as meany that it takes to stop the bead from sliding over it and put the knot under the bead under to hold it in place or one of those little rubber bass bobber stoppers

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 14, 2020, 02:23 PM »
My trick for thread knots is to wet it in my mouth prior to putting on the line. once I slip the tube off, I tighten it by hand & use a hemostat to secure it before trimming. The only time it's  replaced is when I re-spool line. I haven't had a frayed knot for yrs.

Offline Indiana_Lou

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 14, 2020, 03:30 PM »
On all my slip bobbers for crappie fishing (open water0  I use either the small plastic stops that you thread your line by weaving it back and forth. Or I've used the "dog bones." I felt the dog bones tend to catch the line on the spool more than the other. I'm not sure this would be an issue since you really don't cast much. Lou

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 14, 2020, 06:14 PM »
I use Siennas as well. Both the Smart stops and the little rubber ones get stuck on the line roller. Now I used waxed dental floss and ties a Uni knot. I like to tie them in-situ rather than having to put them on before tieing on the leader and hook etc. The cheap black braided nylon line works OK as well. I have tried runner bands but they either get stuck if too tight or come off if too loose.
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #9 on: Feb 14, 2020, 06:37 PM »
Anyone have the secrets to type and management of bobber stops?  The yarn style get tangled if not clipped, if clipped they fray.  The rubber stops don't stay well and have issue with bail rollers.  I tried the Micro stops (http://www.clearlyoutdoors.com/fnimall/smart_stop_bobbers_micro.phtml) and love the idea of being able to put them on after the bobber if needed, but they don't stay very well and really get caught on the line roller of my sienna reels.  Thinking I will probably go back to good yarn style stops and not clip them.  Any secrets out there?

I rarely use bobber stops of any kind. Strictly spring type. But if and when I do it's the yarn/string style. Just clip them and touch them up with nail polish. No more fraying.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline CoachWalleye74

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SD
« Reply #10 on: Feb 15, 2020, 05:56 PM »
I’m going to get some thill premium stops, put two on each setup, wet them when I cinch them down, trim the excess but leave 1/4 inch on each side so I can put clear nail polish on each end to deter fraying. Hopefully that does the trick. If not....back to the drawing board :)

Heard mention of some smaller-Dacron type stops but can’t find them online. 

Offline Knife2sharp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 15, 2020, 07:48 PM »
I've been using those micro stops. Only seem to hang up while reeling in a fish when there's tension on the line, on 2lb test. I use an underwater camera so readjusting after a fish isn't too bad. But what I used to use for a permanent stop, is a piece of small rubber band.  Wrap a few loops around your finger, pass one of the ends through the loop, forming another loop and put the piece of band through it, the pull on both ends. Clip both ends of the band.  Leave one end a bit long so you can pull it out if you want to remove it, although on small diameter line it will leave a few small kinks. But it will never move.
I don't post on IceShanty often, but when I do - #Legendary

Offline Knife2sharp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 15, 2020, 07:51 PM »
You can use the same method with a piece of thread from a normal slip stop, but not as easy to remove and you may need a bead.
I don't post on IceShanty often, but when I do - #Legendary

Offline eyeflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 15, 2020, 10:49 PM »
I tie my own with a piece of 20lb. fly line backing, leave the tag ends long 8-10" long. This allows you to tighten the know much tighter.  If you tighten and then move the knot about 3 times before you trim the ends  it will not slip.
https://www.graysofkilsyth.com/flyline-backing-knot.htm

Offline E Z turn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 16, 2020, 08:14 AM »
I have used the Thill stops and think they are one of the best . Now I make my own double spring bobbers similar to the Lako brand. I use 20 lbs fly reel backing for depth marking only and tie my own with a nail knotter.
Oops! is too late.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 16, 2020, 11:45 AM »
I picked one of these up at the St Paul ice fishing show a couple years ago. It works good. You don't have to untie your hook to tie on the bobber stop.

https://berdsinnovations.com/shop?olsPage=products%2Fspot-knot-bobber-stop-tie-system

A plastic stir stick would serve the same purpose.

Offline rivereddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Feb 16, 2020, 11:54 AM »
"Dog bones" work for me, but I have learned that some designs are better than others. 
The ones that seem to work best have only one hole at each end. the ones with several
holes tend to buckle and/or split off.

fish on,

rivereddy

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 16, 2020, 02:38 PM »
Dog bones?

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 16, 2020, 08:39 PM »

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 17, 2020, 07:50 AM »
Light line always seems to find a way under those dog bones for me, I’m a string type user.

Offline rivereddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Feb 17, 2020, 02:49 PM »
Yup "bones" not "boes'. Now the dog won't speak to me.....
I use them down to 4# test

fish on

rivereddy

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 19, 2020, 02:10 PM »
Here's a couple tips from Target Walleye. Com with respect to string bobber stops.  I can see how waxing the string would really help with wearing/fraying of the stop.  Some beeswax would work really well.

Offline Crappie 1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Feb 21, 2020, 08:08 AM »
We use a lot of slip bobber stops. When I clip the ends I quickly hit it with a lighter,this will melt the ends  so it doesn't fray. Just a touch though.
Crappie 1https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/avatars/crappie.jpg

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #23 on: Feb 21, 2020, 08:44 AM »
A plastic stir stick would serve the same purpose.
Swizzle sticks , ( mixed drink straws) work great , i use them down to 4#

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 21, 2020, 09:06 AM »
I use the Rod-n-Bob's green thread with the bead . It works great. I tried to make my own with unraveled mason's twine and those plastic coffee stir sticks. They don't work as well. As someone mentioned above, the Rod-n-Bob's has some kind of superior thread.

Offline hays47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 21, 2020, 03:36 PM »
I use bobber stops on almost all my rods. I vertical fish from my boat. Crappies love to suspend and vary depth especially at night. Use the stops as a depth indicator. Also use same way in ice fishing. In shallow water really no need but once the depth gets much over 15'. I start using the rods with the stop .
Echomap 94  Chirp with panoptix ps-22.
G.E.F.M

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 22, 2020, 08:50 AM »
Swizzle sticks , ( mixed drink straws) work great , i use them down to 4#

That's the kind I meant. I have tried that nail knot with the straw but I found that a few half hitches work better.

I use a slip float for small fussy eater lakers.         

Offline CoachWalleye74

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SD
« Reply #27 on: Feb 23, 2020, 08:16 PM »
Thank you all for the great ideas.  Two stops on Each line, thill premium stops, wetted when winched, trimmed, then lightly applied clear nail polish on the ends to help with fray.  Seems to be working well after 3 days of fishing.

Offline flagup!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Feb 24, 2020, 08:18 AM »
Not sure anyone tried this.   1st time using slip bobbers on my rods yesterday and I used small rubber bands. Just rapped it around the line put one end through the other and pulled tight.  Cut off leaving 1/4" ends.   Caught a few trout and rubber bands stayed put.   
The only time I learn something is when I'm not talking.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Feb 24, 2020, 09:05 PM »
When I use to fish with bobbers I just used rubber bands.  Cut rubber band so it is not a circle.  Start tying it on your line like you start tying your shoe lace, but loop it thru twice and pulled tight and trim the ends.  The rubber band goes through the guides and bale with ease.  If pulled tight enough it will not slip.  Too remove just over tighten and the rubber band breaks.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.