Author Topic: spring bobbers  (Read 35872 times)

Offline backatit

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: spring bobbers
« Reply #30 on: Sep 18, 2006, 03:10 PM »
Icenutter -  When you order the slip bobbers from St Croix (just assuming that is where you got them) do you get the rod tip with them or just the spring?  If not how did you mount them?

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Sep 18, 2006, 07:13 PM »
Just the springs.  You will have to get a size 8 single foot eyelet and a rubber gromet at Lowes or hardware store that will fit into the eylet and have a hole small enough for the spring.  Rap the eylet to the rod with bowstring serving or fly tying thread and apply some epoxy.  The eylet was .99 cents and the gromit was another $1.00.  I learned this trick from my other buddies, so I will have to give them the credit, but it is a very slick alternative to buying the Legend rods.
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

Offline backatit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Sep 19, 2006, 06:44 AM »
I'll have to try that.  I think I saw that somewhere else on this forum but can't remember if I really did or not :cookoo: Thanks for the info  :tipup:

Offline davef

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Oct 26, 2006, 05:53 AM »
Russ:  I might be a little dense but what purpose does the coil spring serve? Is it only to hold the actual wire. It seems to me like the wire tip would do all the bending from a bite. Thanks.   dave from somerset

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Oct 26, 2006, 06:59 AM »
Dave the coil acts like a tensioner.  You can slide the coil back toward the reel to make the spring stiffer or slide it forward to make it looser.  The bobber will bend on the coil.  They make 3 or 4 different springs, but you can fine tune the spring for each lure you are using.  It is a pretty slick set-up.
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #35 on: Oct 26, 2006, 08:25 AM »
So, Ive never used those spring bobbers before,,,,but after reading this Im going to have to give them a whirl.  Great info.  This truly is an amazing website.....

Offline davef

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Oct 27, 2006, 05:52 AM »
Dave the coil acts like a tensioner.  You can slide the coil back toward the reel to make the spring stiffer or slide it forward to make it looser.  The bobber will bend on the coil.  They make 3 or 4 different springs, but you can fine tune the spring for each lure you are using.  It is a pretty slick set-up.

Russ: Thanks for the comeback and now the lightbulb in my head is working. I have several quides laying around and will rig something up like your photo. Seems like a nice compact way to use the spring tip.

Offline Duckslayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Oct 30, 2006, 04:11 PM »
I love spring bobbers. Have a home made rod that my pop's buddy made me and he put the spring on it.  Never used one until then, but I haven't fished any other way since.  After looking on the St. Croix Web site, I think I'm inclined to purchase one.  They look slick, and the price isn't that bad considering what I've seen for other rods.  (I love St. Croix rods anyway).
God, it's good to be in the frozen tundra!

Offline Jangus

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Nov 08, 2006, 07:06 PM »
I love em.  I attach them with electrical tape, but I dont stick them out the end.  I find they get damaged a lot easier that way.  I put it towards the end of the rod; the line goes through the second to last eyelet then through the spring, then through the last one.  I find coil springs are a lot more sensitive than the flat metal ones.
Craving ice...

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #39 on: Nov 08, 2006, 07:13 PM »
I have a legend with a light spring on it. It gives new meaning to the word "sensitive".

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #40 on: Nov 08, 2006, 07:18 PM »
If you look up "sensitive" in the websters you will see a marmish rod, but for those who like to have a rod and reel in hand, the Legend is the next best thing,

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #41 on: Nov 08, 2006, 07:27 PM »
Let me rephrase my last post......

If you fart in the rod's general direction through your coveralls, you will detect movement in the spring tip. ;D

We will see how it performs in unsteady hands :-\

Offline mbart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Nov 08, 2006, 08:57 PM »
Skip the spring bobbers use a HT 18" or 24" Ice Blue rod. You do not have to spend a ton of money.  Another good rod is the HT Polar Gold, PLG-25UL.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #43 on: Nov 09, 2006, 04:19 PM »
Skip the spring bobbers use a HT 18" or 24" Ice Blue rod. You do not have to spend a ton of money.  Another good rod is the HT Polar Gold, PLG-25UL.

I have a ton of rods, including a 24'' med Ice Blue. I wanted a St Croix springtip, and I am not as handy as Icenutter so I bought a legend. ;D

When you look at the price of a tank of gas, or the amount of intrest I pay on my one year old mortgage, $50 isn't that much for something of good quality that I will enjoy.

Offline mbart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Nov 10, 2006, 07:02 PM »
It's what I prefer, everyone has their own preference. I have the same bills plus a college tuition payment.  I fish with a IB-24 UL, good luck with your St.Croix

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #45 on: Nov 10, 2006, 07:24 PM »
It's what I prefer, everyone has their own preference. I have the same bills plus a college tuition payment.  I fish with a IB-24 UL, good luck with your St.Croix

Have you fished with a spring tip on any of your rods?

Offline mbart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Nov 10, 2006, 08:09 PM »
Occasionaly with a HT jigger pole, with the same jig and bait as a actively jigging.

Offline mbart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #47 on: Nov 10, 2006, 09:03 PM »
Forgot to mention 3lb. 2oz. crappie 18.5", 1/13/06 without a springbobber rod.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #48 on: Nov 11, 2006, 02:52 PM »
Forgot to mention 3lb. 2oz. crappie 18.5", 1/13/06 without a springbobber rod.

Good for you, whats your point?

I have caught fish without a spring bobber too. As a mater of fact, this will be by first year using one. The opinion of most members on this site is overwhelmingly in favor of them for panfishing, that helped with my decision to buy one. I did my research, and made my decision. If you think I am stupid for it, good for you. If it makes you feel any better, I bought a Shimano reel to put on it ($79.95). If buying quality gear makes me stupid, then put me on the short bus. :P

Offline mbart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #49 on: Nov 11, 2006, 09:55 PM »
I'm sorry if my comments offended you or any members of this forum. My intent was never to insult or aggravate anyone.  I simply stated what works for me and don't feel the need to use springbobber equipment. My choice of equipment is my own personal preference.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #50 on: Nov 12, 2006, 08:46 AM »
I apologise for the aggressive responce, and welcome to Ice Shanty. There is plenty of room for all opinions here :)

Offline big big rdg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike Hunter
« Reply #51 on: Nov 12, 2006, 01:23 PM »
I like using spring bobber most of the time. I have a pole with one and without but most of the time I use the springbobber with small jigs and no spring bobber with the bigger jigs.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #52 on: Nov 12, 2006, 06:09 PM »
I'm sorry if my comments offended you or any members of this forum. My intent was never to insult or aggravate anyone.  I simply stated what works for me and don't feel the need to use springbobber equipment. My choice of equipment is my own personal preference.

Ah yes. It's here again. Maybe you weren't here last year, but it's easy to tell when we are in dire need of ice. Relax and enjoy yourself. When we have hard water things will mellow out. Lack of ice doesn't affect me because I'm grouchy all the time. Lots of knowledge on here if you give it a chance. :D ;)
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #53 on: Nov 13, 2006, 02:12 PM »
I fish a lot for perch and always use a wire strike indicator.  The only hint that a perch is biting is the slightest up or down movement of the wire. Usually I jig one rod and stare at the indicator cause when I lift up slightly and the wire stays where it was I set the hook .   You dont really feel the perch, you just see the bend in the wire, and the only reason it bends is if a fish has the hook in its mouth!
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Nov 13, 2006, 02:28 PM »
I bought the panfish poppers last year and really liked them, but I had to designate rods just to spring bobbers, cause they can be a pain to remove and replace all of the time.  I will still use nothing but a spring bobber when I can get into at or above freezing conditions.  With a good fish finder, you can not beat them in my opinion. 

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #55 on: Nov 13, 2006, 03:25 PM »
I only use wire indicators with a large diameter eye. Minimum 3/8" 1/2" is better. This way the icing prob isnt too bad. Those spring bobbers with the tiny opening are useless. In fact I started making my own last year cause I couldnt find the ones I like.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline kchamp

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #56 on: Dec 09, 2009, 11:06 AM »
hey do you remember where abouts in Lowe's the size 8 single foot eyelet and a rubber grommet were, I hate asking someone for help at these stores. you do get the size 8 single foot eyelet at Lowe`s right

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Dec 12, 2009, 09:44 PM »
springbobbers work great for smelting and for whitefish too.

Offline backatit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Dec 13, 2009, 09:00 AM »
hey do you remember where abouts in Lowe's the size 8 single foot eyelet and a rubber grommet were, I hate asking someone for help at these stores. you do get the size 8 single foot eyelet at Lowe`s right

I don't believe you can get the size 8 single foot eyelet at Lowes - only the grommet.  You will have to get the eyelet from a rod building supply site/store.  Cabela's probably has them but not sure.

Offline Yopy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Dec 16, 2009, 01:25 PM »
WHAT ABOUT FREEZE-UPS ANY PROBLEMS?

freeze ups do occur but with a quick and fast blow into the eye with your breath she goes right away

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.