Author Topic: Auger Wars!  (Read 3281 times)

Offline BlueDevil

• Team IceShanty Regular
Auger Wars!
« on: Dec 18, 2017, 10:46 PM »
So slow on Blackstrap a guy might have more fun competing in Auger Wars!!!! Lol!

4-Stroke Auger War

Electric Auger War

//.\\//.\\ark

Offline mjs059

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Auger Wars!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 2017, 05:51 AM »
Thanks for this
As a die hard jiffy guy I reject this reality and substitute my own.
You will notice that the same guy wins every challenge. Same coveralls at least.
The guy running the Jiffy is leaning into them with all his weight.
Essentially slowing the penetration.
Jiffy’s are heavy by design and quality so just let them pull themselves thru the ice.
I am sure this debate will last as long as there is ice

Offline anglerbrian

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fun n Games Til Someone loses a Walleye
« Reply #2 on: Dec 19, 2017, 07:19 AM »
The reason the strikemasters are faster is the two blade design and the ultra sharp blades.
With each revolution of the drill they remove more ice. The Jiffy is turning faster but still can't keep up with the superior blades and dual blade design of the competition.
 Jiffy blades may be more durable. I have owned both, my current auger has strikemaster flighting on a Tanaka powerhead. I love the light weight and after 3 years is still cutting like new.
 I was surprised how well the electric models cut and with the lighter weights and battery improvements will probably be the future of ice augers.
Old fishermen never die, they just smell that way.

Offline aquarium234

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 19, 2017, 07:30 AM »
I wonder how there 40v compares to their 50v model? as they switched it up,
:-)
Its all fun and games until someone loses a walleye.......

Offline Blue Hog Ridr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 19, 2017, 10:36 PM »
Ya might want to be considering these if your heart is set on Electric. 

Fishing is good for your Mind, Body and Soul.
Actually catching a fish or two is a nice by product of a day well spent.

The next time that you don't feel like going into work, don't give your Boss any excuses (Hes heard them all), just say, "I'm going fishing, wanna come".

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 19, 2017, 10:54 PM »
Both acceptable but..

Not as fast as a 28 year old Eskimo (original blades)(tough wet, heavy, ice)

22 inches..

<°)))>{

Offline lunkerslayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 19, 2017, 11:12 PM »
The reason the strikemasters are faster is the two blade design and the ultra sharp blades.
With each revolution of the drill they remove more ice. The Jiffy is turning faster but still can't keep up with the superior blades and dual blade design of the competition.
 Jiffy blades may be more durable. I have owned both, my current auger has strikemaster flighting on a Tanaka powerhead. I love the light weight and after 3 years is still cutting like new.
 I was surprised how well the electric models cut and with the lighter weights and battery improvements will probably be the future of ice augers.
my jiffy 10 inch bit has three cutting blades

Offline anglerbrian

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fun n Games Til Someone loses a Walleye
« Reply #7 on: Dec 20, 2017, 02:46 AM »
Do you mean the one blade design with the 2 sets of teeth around the centering point (STEALTH STX™ Cutting Technology). I have seen these in action and they are not as fast as my two blade strikemaster flighting tanaka powerhead combo or the Eskimo two blade designs. I think the stealth setup tends to ice up and slow down when cutting in colder temps.
Old fishermen never die, they just smell that way.

Offline BigJumb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 20, 2017, 09:54 AM »
The fastest auger is one that runs good and has sharp blades.

Offline darrenf442

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 20, 2017, 11:19 AM »
Strikemaster is a sponsor of this company so its know wonder why they won everytime.

Offline RD79

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 20, 2017, 11:41 AM »
Has anyone tried the Trophy Strike augers?  I just bought a second hand Ion which is pretty sweet, but the price has now dropped on the Trophy Strikes.  I would have bought one of these instead at the current price just to compare with some buddies Ion's

Offline swc21

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 20, 2017, 12:39 PM »
These "best auger" conversions always dominate with speed qualities. In my opinion the most important quality in an auger would be reliability. Most augers cut within seconds of each other per hole.

Offline darrenf442

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 20, 2017, 01:05 PM »
Look at the K-Drill. 

https://kdrillauger.com/

Offline bigk

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 20, 2017, 05:06 PM »
Sooner compare fish than augers  :o

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 20, 2017, 05:56 PM »
 i just got a kdrill 8".  smooth as silk but sure is slow compared to a mora or finbore.  the kdrill will work good for redrilling old holes once i get the permy out.  been running a drill/auger set for 5 years now and it'll be an awful cold day in hell before you'll see me on the ice with a gas can.

Offline lunkerslayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 20, 2017, 06:08 PM »
Do you mean the one blade design with the 2 sets of teeth around the centering point (STEALTH STX™ Cutting Technology). I have seen these in action and they are not as fast as my two blade strikemaster flighting tanaka powerhead combo or the Eskimo two blade designs. I think the stealth setup tends to ice up and slow down when cutting in colder temps.
I carry a plastic mallet with me it does the trick, it's been a few years since I ran it but the pilot point needs to be sharp to. Also I guarantee you that 3 horse jiffy would eat up any of these new augers in deep ice 3' +. 10"vs 10" the torque of the 2 stroke Tecumseh engine is amazing. Back in 2014 devils lake had on avg 4 feet of ice when those other guys with the fancy look at me light honda 4 strokes needed to continously lift up and clear out the ice. The jiffy has so much torque lifting to clean out ice isn't necessary. I am talking about a stx 10 inch bit not a 8 or 9 inch bit.

Maybe not the 224

Offline lunkerslayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 20, 2017, 06:39 PM »

The model 30 I have is made for the one arm bandit, I will takes some pics but I replaced the old black handles for the newer yellow grip ones. The 10 inch bit was the style where it bolted on the the auger shaft i was able to buy the handle and the stx bottom plate from a jiffy dealer from Vermont . Those old model 30 from the early years just keep going and going. That sound of the old jiffy barking when it's frigid cold out get better once the clutch kicks in listen to the one arm bandit. The bit he is using is quite dull but the sound of the clutch kicking is music to my ears. There is no sound like the sound of a well tuned up jiffy model 30

Offline BlueDevil

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 20, 2017, 08:44 PM »
Nilsmaster!!!! (Tanaka 270 five holes)

//.\\//.\\ark

Offline lunkerslayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 20, 2017, 11:03 PM »
Nilsmaster!!!! (Tanaka 270 five holes)

yes sir that tanaka is quite a machine but the  nils auger is the deciding factor. Impressive nonetheless

Offline oleike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 23, 2017, 11:01 AM »
the first vids looks like  nothing more than a plug for strikemaster. Not many folks care if a machine drills 10 seconds faster than another. Jiffy led the way for more than 30 yrs.

gman51

« Reply #20 on: Dec 23, 2017, 11:15 AM »
X2 EXACTLY.... ::)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.