Author Topic: When the ice returns, where you heading?  (Read 4432 times)

Offline crappiehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Crappie too big for the hole!!! LOL!!
When the ice returns, where you heading?
« on: Jan 04, 2006, 05:53 AM »
Since we are all bored waiting on the ice to return, thought I'd ask each of you to tell us what lake you are heading to when it firms up?

Offline Rufus

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: When the ice returns, where you heading?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2006, 06:08 AM »
Back up to Clear. I have a score to settle with the biggest bluegill I have ever seen. After getting him to bite last Saturday, I blew it by losing him on the way out of the hole. He has a marker on him, I was sight fishing him and I noticed before he bit he had a no. 8 white/pink marmooska hanging out of the corner of his mouth  :o. Big sucker got lucky twice. He has since downgraded his taste to a no. 14 purple/gold glitter jig tipped with a spike. Next time I may just have to put a plain no. 22 down tipped with a zooplankton 8). I know he couldn't resist that.

Offline crappiehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2006, 06:15 AM »
That a serious stalk!!! I've never fished where you can site fish through the hole! Good luck with your prey!!! Where is Clear Lake?

Offline bret

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • approaching "Grumpy Old Man" age
« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2006, 06:47 AM »
Seriously considering getting out the boat and fishing Winona Lake.  Forecast is terrible.  Could be 3 weeks for safe ice!
Never Judge A Day By The Weather.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCloEWXfcjMRYo9J6qOLtggQ

Offline Swedish__Pimple

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 04, 2006, 08:19 AM »
We've had the boat out,but the bite is tending to be a little tough tho,Where are these wallys at anyway

Offline Coastie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 04, 2006, 09:55 AM »
Happy New Year Indiana!

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 04, 2006, 10:10 AM »
Back up to Clear. I have a score to settle with the biggest bluegill I have ever seen. After getting him to bite last Saturday, I blew it by losing him on the way out of the hole. He has a marker on him, I was sight fishing him and I noticed before he bit he had a no. 8 white/pink marmooska hanging out of the corner of his mouth  :o. Big sucker got lucky twice. He has since downgraded his taste to a no. 14 purple/gold glitter jig tipped with a spike. Next time I may just have to put a plain no. 22 down tipped with a zooplankton 8). I know he couldn't resist that.

Those are trophies that bluegill carries around with him. He knows what he's doing!  ;D
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline fishstix

• IceShanty Rookie
  • carp fishermen unite!!!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 04, 2006, 10:32 AM »

you want a big bluegill? ;D ;D

here fishy fishy fishy!

Offline FXjohn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 04, 2006, 11:13 AM »

That thing looks grotesque...LOL

Offline str8upfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 04, 2006, 11:59 AM »
Since we are all bored waiting on the ice to return, thought I'd ask each of you to tell us what lake you are heading to when it firms up?

Definately heading out to Bass Lake in Starke County when the ice returns. Those walleyes and monster crappies are waiting to be caught and I'm gonna do my best to get my share of them.

Offline crappie66

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 04, 2006, 01:00 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

Definately would be nice to catch one of those Georgia Giants, especially through the ice.
Real fisherman don't yield to the weather.

Offline angolajones

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 04, 2006, 01:16 PM »
Rufus,

Don't lie, you know you will go out to whatever lake gets the best ice first.  Probably be on Silver then Clear.

Jonesy

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 04, 2006, 02:55 PM »
Boy, it's nice living in MN!  We still have about 6-12" on almost all lakes.  It's gonna feel good to be on the ice tomorrow!!   ;)2  Sorry, not rubbing it in, I just couldn't resisit!  Hope nobody get's too pi$$ed

Always wear clean underwear, cuz ya never know when the paramedics are gonna have to cut your pants off.

Offline ole green moe

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Offical Member of Fisherman Against Penguins
« Reply #13 on: Jan 04, 2006, 03:16 PM »
Boy, it's nice living in MN!  We still have about 6-12" on almost all lakes.  It's gonna feel good to be on the ice tomorrow!!   ;)2  Sorry, not rubbing it in, I just couldn't resisit!  Hope nobody get's too pi$$ed
Is that an invite? Be careful you may get invaded by a bunch of Indiana ice fishermen. ;D
Northern Indiana---Where men are men, and Penguins run scared!!!!

Offline Swedish__Pimple

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 04, 2006, 03:48 PM »
Boy, it's nice living in MN!  We still have about 6-12" on almost all lakes.  It's gonna feel good to be on the ice tomorrow!!   ;)2  Sorry, not rubbing it in, I just couldn't resisit!  Hope nobody get's too pi$$ed

If you're not rubbing it in,what would you call it fishahulik????Did you make this same quote on all the states that dont have ice or just this one?Its ok for now,but if we dont get any ice here real soon,we'll be up to drill you in(lol)

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 04, 2006, 04:11 PM »
actually.....I'm probably going to get out on whatever water I'm around that holds 2" of good ice, but I will be looking forward to getting on Wawa for some hawg perch. Probably going to venture to Bass and try to wear it out.

Also, Ive been catching a few fish lately (since the ice has been off) that have teeth and their eyes are kinda reflective. Plus they have this funny white corner on their tail. Maybe I will look them up in the Audobon Society Guide. ;)........Shhhhhh!
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline asphalt_kid

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Live life hard........ICE FISH
« Reply #16 on: Jan 04, 2006, 05:21 PM »
I am still looking to find out what these fish are called that we caught last night Jigmup, you think they might taste good anyway?

LOL :o :o

Here they are................... .....................

Look at these , they are so Ugly!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline jigginstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jig Jig Jig
« Reply #17 on: Jan 04, 2006, 05:30 PM »
O no kid I think you caught some of those cisco. Throw them out quick before they stink up the whole house. LOL nice catch guys!!!! Jimmys goin to start sweating,shaking,drooling when he sees this.

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 04, 2006, 06:04 PM »
yeah I think they might sell those in the pet store. Well next time we'll take 'em to Pet Smart.

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 04, 2006, 06:47 PM »
Oh yeah.....I'm sure glad we had that stink bait Kid.

Offline ChapstickCharlie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #20 on: Jan 04, 2006, 07:02 PM »
I so miss lake of the Woods Minnesota, Fishuhalic. If anyone here hasn't done it, take a chance and try some of Minnesota's ice house fishing, you'll never be the same. I am thinking after reading this board that Bass Lake for wallys would be the thing to try next ice. But I noticed no one is giving up their secrets on catching em. Is everyone using tipups? big minnows?
An honest mans' pillow is his peace of mind.

Offline asphalt_kid

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Live life hard........ICE FISH
« Reply #21 on: Jan 04, 2006, 07:29 PM »
Yeah that Stinkbait with the corn added to it was DaBOMB Jigmup!

Charlie as far as Bass Lake, both times I was on it was very freaky, ice was very weird and the air coming from the bottom was making holes in it and then we had a bud fall in right where we were fishing, and Me and Jigmup thought we wouldnt be able to get off because of this weird pressure crack that opened up after we crossed it before we started fishing.

Offline crappiehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 04, 2006, 08:00 PM »
Good interaction, keep it up!! I'll probably be on Lake George in Hobart as soon as I can. I always seem to catch fish on that Lake. I would like to try some others though. I'd like to get onto Flint again in Porter county. Thanks for all the ideas!!!

Offline PoleCat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • IceFsh'nNut
« Reply #23 on: Jan 04, 2006, 10:49 PM »
well gonna try and slide out on Hamilton tomorrow. 2  :tipup: and try to jig a few bass up. River Scum & I was up there Tues. got 3 lil guys. about 14" Ice was about 4-5 just getting out on it was the only prob. Good luck guys. :tipup:
HoosierPoleCat member since 2003

The high price of Freedom is a cost paid by a Brave few... Semper Fi

Offline crappie rob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #24 on: Jan 04, 2006, 11:30 PM »
If the ice returns!!!
Lets Go Cubs. Bring on the baseball season!!!

Offline Rufus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 05, 2006, 07:11 AM »
Crappiehunter,
Clear Lake is in the extreme NE corner of the state. It is about 2 miles from Michigan and 3 miles from Ohio. It is just north of SR 120. It is not easy to find a place to park though. The usual spot at an abandonded house only holds about 5 vehicles. I think Clear Lake Marina allows people to park there, but it is a bit of a walk. As fart as the sight fishing goes, believe me guys, DON'T START! It is way too addictive and could lead to possible marital problems and Lord knows us fishermen already have enough of those. We have way too many lakes in Steuben County that you can do it on. I especially love fishing Crappies with handtied flies. Just find a good area, stand straight over the hole, drop your fly down 1-4 feet and watch 'em come in and eat it. It is the most fun ice fishin' I have. AngolaJones, the Coach, and I did some sightfishing on some jumboperch last year in about 10 feet of water. We caught close to 100 in a week and a half in about 10 feet of water. We had 3 of them over 14 inches and many, many more in the 12 inch range. Watching them big boys blast a no. 2 rapala was awesome. I cant' wait till February to try this again, we stumbled onto them by accident and had no idea there were any that big out there.
God Bless and Good Fishin'!

Offline Swedish__Pimple

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 05, 2006, 07:47 AM »
Believe me Jigmup and Kid,them fish dont taste good at all................... ......But they sure are fun to catch......

Offline str8upfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #27 on: Jan 05, 2006, 08:50 AM »
I so miss lake of the Woods Minnesota, Fishuhalic. If anyone here hasn't done it, take a chance and try some of Minnesota's ice house fishing, you'll never be the same. I am thinking after reading this board that Bass Lake for wallys would be the thing to try next ice. But I noticed no one is giving up their secrets on catching em. Is everyone using tipups? big minnows?

The best luck I have on Bass Lake is with a slip bobber set up with a ratso glow jig and a fathead minnow. I get the most luck when i hook the minnow through the back towards the tail. I never really tried tip ups there.Hope this helps out.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 05, 2006, 10:17 AM »

Ah yes the infamous Georgia Giant hybrid from Ken's Fish Farm.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline turbojigger

• IceShanty Rookie
  • NEW TO IT BUT TRUE TO IT!!!!
« Reply #29 on: Jan 05, 2006, 11:28 AM »

nice photoshop gill!!! ;D
NEW TO IT BUT TRUE TO IT!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.