Author Topic: Long Lake Parking WARNING (VALPO)  (Read 12513 times)

Offline IceMan74

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Long Lake Parking WARNING (VALPO)
« Reply #30 on: Jan 13, 2010, 12:22 AM »
Thanks guys and especially Rotney for contacting Jerry. I appreciate seeing your message to him and his reply. Your message to him was good and I'll bet it will get a response. I drove there today and took a couple pictures of these new signs. Here's the old sign that is on the south side of the road near the judges house....the arrow is pointing toward the end of the road(which is a deadend) and the lake is just on the other side.

(Image removed from quote.)

You used to be able to park to the right of this, up to the sign in this picture....that is pointing to the right. About 5 trucks could park in between those signs.

(Image removed from quote.)

The new sign that's causing the problem is the one that says...."no parking to the end of the road" 

I talked to a homeowner on Long Lake today and she said they are not in Valparaiso city limits. She also said she is not aware of problems between the ice fisherman and homeowners.

I've been pming with a few guys about this and other issues. Here's a proposal that I've written up, that might help impact this issue and several others we face.  What do you guys think? Anybody want to join us?

Valparaiso Chain of Lakes Fisherman's Association

Our  Mission: “To expand fisherman access to the various lakes that make up the Valparaiso Chain of Lakes in Porter County, Indiana”.

Our Vision: “To see fisherman enjoying each of the lakes and working with homeowners to increase the quality of the outdoors experience on the lakes in the Valparaiso Chain of Lakes”

Our Values:

The Sport and Recreation of Fishing

Respect for the Lake front homeowners

Water  Quality

Access to the Lakes

Fishery management and stocking

Possible Strategies for accomplishing our Mission,  Vision and Values:

1.  Evaluation of each of the lakes in regard to access and quality of fishing experience.
   2.  Investigation of parking and access laws around each of the lakes.
   3.  Newspaper coverage of the access problem.
   4.  Meetings with homeowners associations to hear their concerns and share fisherman concerns
   5.  Meeting with City Government and County officials to talk about enhancing the natural resources of the Valparaiso Chain of Lakes.
   6.  Clean up projects to keep accesses clean of debris
   7.  Construction of improved boat ramps and parking areas on appropriate lakes
   8.  Promotion of youth fishing
   9.  Petitions that gather names of supportive parties
   10.  Working with the DNR to stock and improve the lakes
   11.  Formation of a Leadership Team that works together to accomplish our mission, vision and values.
   12.  Periodic meetings to discuss and report on our findings and progress
   13.  Others to be determined

Next Steps: Should we meet? When? Where? 

I would still park there and argue that the signs are contradicting.  one says that we can park the other says no parking.  MAKE IT CLEAR!!!!!!
Men and fish are alike.  They both get into trouble

Offline Outlaw46341

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Jan 13, 2010, 12:47 AM »
im in crappiehunter
I HUNT I FISH I EAT

Offline bosshogg219

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Jan 13, 2010, 01:03 AM »
well lets get a petition started we cant say we have the best spots to fish compared to Alaska or Canada but we make due. we supposedly have to lie down and take it i think i have a right to fish anywhere if i buy a license my money my say, we own a part of that lake or stream, and as far as parking are taxes pay for the roads the get paved and plowed so looks like we own some of that too
im on board
“Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.”

Offline h2.0shaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Jan 13, 2010, 09:33 AM »
When I first read the sign I took it as "to the end of the road". That would mean that we continue to do what we had been doing for years. However, when the state troopers are patrolling a 1/4 mile long country road, something smells like s&^%.

Offline crappiehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Crappie too big for the hole!!! LOL!!
« Reply #34 on: Jan 13, 2010, 09:22 PM »
I'm going to see if I can contact the local DNR Officers tomorrow. Anyone know the DNR contacts for Porter County?

Offline northrn-duck-assassin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Jan 13, 2010, 09:33 PM »
sorry i dont but i called down state and they took care of me and got me all info i neede real quick!
Got one goin'!

Offline ice chaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Jan 13, 2010, 09:37 PM »
 Has anyone contacted the county highway dept, because they have info if or when signs are posted. That might not be a legally posted sign. Maybe a homeowner there may have taken some privilege posting their own signs without proper authority. I would hate to get a ticket or towed cuz someone thinks they are almighty and can throw around signs wherever they choose. I lived in Michigan City and people parked in front of my house where I shoveled because they didn't want to shovel in front of their own home and the cops told me too bad so I kept shoveling until their car was buried. We don't own the streets we just pay for them. I wish someone with an Erkle car would park right between the signs where there is about 8foot left to legally park
Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe

Offline Pugfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Jan 13, 2010, 09:51 PM »
I think I can fit my Jeep in there.

Offline bop3c

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Jan 14, 2010, 05:32 AM »
call the mich. city d.n.r. post they will send someone out !!!!

Offline high_flags

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Jan 14, 2010, 04:08 PM »
   So who put up the signs???
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Offline leedeerslayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Jan 15, 2010, 02:50 PM »
it doesn't matter!If she want to do that she will continue to do so, unless we all stand up to her ,AND WE ALL KNOW IT IS MARY HARPER WHO IS  TO BLAME FOR THIS!!!!!I like the the idea of a petition to park there, WHY SHOULD SHE HAVE THE FINAL   SAY ABOUT OUR CIVIL LIBERTIES, this is not her court room, it is our lake!!!!!!! >:( >:(

Offline pikefighter

• IceShanty Rookie
  • packerhamilton
« Reply #41 on: Jan 15, 2010, 05:07 PM »
i just started fishing long lake this year one day signs say between, next day cant, why cant people who see people having a good time enjoying themselves mind thier own biz, if da judge dont like us out there, then she she should move, find a cave a live so the rest of us can enjoy life, impeach her, what she has done is wrong, too bad she is such an unhappy folk
no fish left behind

Offline northrn-duck-assassin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Jan 27, 2010, 10:43 PM »
Thanks for the help wit hwhat your doing Rotney! it's very much appreciated, if you need a hand wit hanything ever down the nroad jut let a guy know, be glad to join in on this matter!!!
Got one goin'!

Offline h2.0shaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Jan 28, 2010, 07:56 AM »
Good Post Rod. Not sure what we can do. I copied that email off your post and emailed that Jeremy Price.  Maybe we should have a little get together on 600N. Dont we have a right to protest?

Offline crappiehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Crappie too big for the hole!!! LOL!!
« Reply #44 on: Jan 28, 2010, 06:05 PM »
I've got a DNR contact that I'm working on. Haven't given up.

Offline lil-skipper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Jan 29, 2010, 03:37 PM »
I've wondered about starting some type of Valpo Chain of Lakes Fisherman's Association that might work on these issues. Is there anything like that already? We have a great resource that we are losing. Any interest in something like this? If we work together on it maybe we could improve access.
   Hey guys ,I can understand your feelings, and I sure don't blame you, 1st lets see how your outing that your talking about works out, then if you have enough fisherman, with the kahonies, be polite and convincing and try to get a dnr officer to join in on your fishing day extravaganza. Then little by little let them know that it's because of your monies that is spent in that particular area that he is even employed there. Let him know your not interested in breaking the law, but that you don't really want to be bullied by law enforcers either. then offer him a brat and a beverage and see what can be worked out.   " GOOD LUCK" 

Offline resident of lake areas

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Jun 04, 2021, 01:11 PM »
I just accidentally ran across this post. Firstly, My family harvested from God's abundance to feed the family. As a resident of the Long Lake area, I can understand the frustrations of residents vs public access. I myself have walked 600 N and picked up bags and bags of trash/fishing bait containers, etc. Residents may be more welcoming if visitors would respect the land and lake. Please haul your trash out and place it where it belongs. Thank you.

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #47 on: Jun 07, 2021, 10:21 AM »
Take a taxi or call uber.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.