The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Jaw jacker  (Read 7582 times)

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
Re: Jaw jacker
« Reply #30 on: Dec 20, 2019, 02:49 PM »
;D

HAHAHA! Looking forward to fishing with you guys! Learned a LOT from you guys!!! THANK YOU! I told Whitefishlover he could play with the RT-9 too. More than I care to figure out by myself! 26 page manual! haha. WE can share our learning experience! Got the Navionics installed after jumping through several hoops due to operator error!  ::)
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #31 on: Dec 20, 2019, 02:53 PM »
I am on the jawjacker bandwagon - they have replaced most of my tip ups.
Two jig rods, at most, have replaced my tip-ups. I carry 8 rods. I DO set tip-ups if it’s slow, exploring or fishing with kids. I suppose if you don’t hunt fishing, tip-ups and jaw jackers are good stuff! Couple of my fishing  buddies have what might be considered “tree stand” shacks over jigging and tip-up hot spots. They don’t have to move to ice trophy lakers and stack some whitefish and nice cusk! . Shack kitties, they are.... Dialed in!  I do like the flag chasing thing but not for serious fishing!  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:  :woot: :thumbsup: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish:
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Dec 20, 2019, 04:39 PM »
One Jawjacker works for me  a couple of jig rods and I am on my way to the fillet table in a couple of hours. If one uses traps he probably needs a 12 pack every trip>>>

Offline The Rusty Crab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm not leaving until I catch a fish!!! R. Crabs
« Reply #33 on: Dec 20, 2019, 10:06 PM »
Geez you jig head guys starting to sound like fly flickers.

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #34 on: Dec 21, 2019, 05:57 AM »

"I'm not leaving until I catch a fish!!! R. Crabs”   If you jigged more, you could be home by now!  :woot: :thumbsup: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish:

Offline The Rusty Crab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Dec 21, 2019, 07:17 AM »
"I'm not leaving until I catch a fish!!! R. Crabs”   If you jigged more, you could be home by now!  :woot: :thumbsup: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish:

We dont have as many of those easy targeting pan fish as you guys haha. Who fishes to catch? It's just a way to spend all that extra cash in my weekly paycheck

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #36 on: Dec 21, 2019, 07:56 AM »
We dont have as many of those easy targeting pan fish as you guys haha. Who fishes to catch? It's just a way to spend all that extra cash in my weekly paycheck.

I fish to catch but release many. Since I work on the water, February and 1/2 of March are Sunday to me.  :thumbsup: :icefish:And there is that friggin by-catch! Can’t keep them off the damn jigs! haha!

Offline The Rusty Crab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Dec 21, 2019, 08:11 AM »
Nice fish for sure. It's nice having many sundays every season, mine run from October to April.

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #38 on: Dec 21, 2019, 08:25 AM »
 :thumbsup: :icefish:
Nice fish for sure. It's nice having many sundays every season, mine run from October to April.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Dec 21, 2019, 08:41 AM »
If you had a good flasher you wouldn't waste time in blank holes.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Dec 21, 2019, 08:57 AM »
To each his own I guess, but for me setting the hook is half the fun!!
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline The Rusty Crab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Dec 21, 2019, 09:23 AM »
Without a flipovah shanty the waters I fish it's to cold to run and gun from hole to hole. Spend more time with frozen everything. 10 below isnt fun to me add some breeze and that's why you dont see as many up north. Have to pick your days for that approach well you don't have to but I enjoy being comfy too :p

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #42 on: Dec 21, 2019, 10:56 AM »
Without a flipovah shanty the waters I fish it's to cold to run and gun from hole to hole. Spend more time with frozen everything. 10 below isnt fun to me add some breeze and that's why you dont see as many up north. Have to pick your days for that approach well you don't have to but I enjoy being comfy too :p

I pick my days. I can use a couple folks shacks on WG, but prefer the running and gunning, mostly just target whitefish. I have a pop up hub I’ve never used. haha

I have a Striker Predator bib and Arctic Armour jacket. I can fish in pretty cold conditions but skip the wind unless I want to sit in a shack.... BUT, I will fish close to home and in the lee  for perch and crappy when it's half azz. I’ll still be clamming on the best tide/weather days. Mostly fish when tides are small or mostly in the dark in winter.

Offline swnoel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Dec 21, 2019, 01:39 PM »
Not only do I have 2 jaw jackers... I just purchased the jigging base for one of them... they work great!

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Dec 21, 2019, 02:12 PM »

SirCranksalot With a good flasher you get to set the hook a lot more often and at right time!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Dec 21, 2019, 02:49 PM »
I’m a fly flicker and a jig head, but I’ll also cast and troll. What ever it takes to get fish on the end of the line.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Dec 21, 2019, 03:09 PM »
I’m a fly flicker and a jig head, but I’ll also cast and troll. What ever it takes to get fish on the end of the line.

Me too.

Offline The Rusty Crab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Dec 21, 2019, 04:35 PM »
I use traps and a 12 pack and near enough. Get my point

Offline tipman14

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #48 on: Dec 21, 2019, 04:46 PM »
I’m with this guy ☝️
I’m here for the cusk !!!!

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #49 on: Dec 21, 2019, 05:17 PM »
:roflmao: :flex:

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #50 on: Dec 21, 2019, 05:21 PM »

My daughter’s first word was “..ish” pointing at a steelhead mount. Get my point?  The fish do!  :thumbsup: :icefish:

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #51 on: Dec 21, 2019, 05:37 PM »
An older man I knew, now passed, went fishing for walleye with some of my jigging buddies. We all used to tip-up fish til we figured it out otherwise. Anyway, Tiff, as he was known, set his traps while the rest of them jigged. Most had their a few fish before Tiff had even a flag, BUT he did have a few beers and most of a pint of whiskey into him by then. Tiff was a funny man. Dry and witty. WW11 vet. He walked around his traps and stomped everyone of them into the holes. I wasn’t there, but, knowing Tiff for most of my growing up years and having a few with him at a local bar, I could easily picture it as if I was. Miss the old buzzard! Gone more than 20 years now.  Would have one to see that adventure! HEHE! :o

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #52 on: Dec 21, 2019, 06:41 PM »
I hear ya

Offline Jumbos

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Dec 29, 2019, 03:55 PM »
I've got one yet to use it but I'll do anything to get rid of these Pink Panties. Just one more toy the left siders will have laying around😉 For some reason I feel that the 2nd annual derby banquet/bar hop should have some wager involved using the Jaw Jacker. Like smallest fishing using the jacker means you gotta arm wrestle that all rise guy....

Offline tipman14

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #54 on: Dec 29, 2019, 05:07 PM »
I like the idea behind them but didn’t really think it threw much it is fine to use in my pop up shelter or on warm days but pointless if it’s cold out and the line freezes in the whole I’m sure this will not replace my tipups for me anyways.
I’m here for the cusk !!!!

Offline green shack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Dec 30, 2019, 02:06 PM »
Switched over to 100% Jackers last year.  The hook up rate is much higher than a tip up.  Fished them side by side for 2 years.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Dec 30, 2019, 02:55 PM »
Jaw jacker rates are not  as good as a Jigger  .  and you lose the thrill of Hook set!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Dec 30, 2019, 05:57 PM »
Jaw jacker rates are not  as good as a Jigger  .  and you lose the thrill of Hook set!!!!!!!!!!!
Still prefer it over a regular tulip, other than dealing the line being above water and the hole freezing to it.

Offline Moosekill

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Dec 31, 2019, 06:57 AM »
I bought a couple jaw jackers and one jigging base.  Heading up to the County in a couple weeks and will be fishing with guys who just use traps.  It will be interesting to see how they work.  Looks like it will be cold so freezing will probably be an issue, but oh well, trying new things is always interesting if nothing else. 

Offline LimerickShaw

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #59 on: Dec 31, 2019, 09:56 AM »
Picked up one yesterday. I have a friend who has had a TON of success with it so I figured I'd give it a shot. Hopefully going to get out there tomorrow.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.