The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Advice on new drill/auger setup  (Read 8124 times)

Offline fishslap

• Team IceShanty Addict
Advice on new drill/auger setup
« on: Oct 07, 2019, 09:31 PM »
I’ve been running an early generation ion 8” for several years.  I also have a 6” strike master Lazer for hike in trips.  I’m looking to add a drill/auger combo that I plan to use for most outings.  I don’t expect to be drilling more than 24” of ice but thicker ice is possible.  I’m leaning toward a 7” auger.  Right now I’m looking at the Milwaukee M18 Fuel with a nero 7” auger with drill adapter and extension.  I’m a little confused from looking online if there is a regular and mini version. 

Any comments on my plan or recommendations for a better setup?  Do I need a clam plate to avoid possible hand injuries?  Cost isn’t an issue.  Weight is a big factor but it doesn’t need to be the lightest thing out there.  Drilling holes quickly and easily is probably number one.  Thanks fellas.  Remember, ice is less than 30 days out...

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Advice on new drill/auger setup
« Reply #1 on: Oct 07, 2019, 10:30 PM »
I have the older M18 drill with 725in/lb torque, and I’ve been running a 7” laser auger with a clam plate without fail. We got more than 30” of ice last season, even with one extension, the plate almost touched the ice when I finally broke through. But it still drilled all the holes I needed. From what I’ve heard, the Nero will cut just as good if not faster. Just make sure to lift up a bit as it’s drilling as they have a tendency to cut too fast and leave a ice shelf on the bottom of the ice at break through, and that can catch the auger and cause it to stop abruptly or even pull you down to the ice.

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #2 on: Oct 07, 2019, 11:59 PM »
I like the clam plate, gives me good control.  Don’t know much about the Nero, but have heard good things.

My setup is M18 / Clam / 8” Mora.

If you want something super light for hiking days, have you thought about the K-drill with fuel/clam plate?

If you get the fuel, make sure it’s the higher torque model, 2704 or 2804. Should be 1200 in-lbs.  You’ll love it
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Oct 08, 2019, 07:05 AM »
Couple things on the drill ..700 in lbs or better ..4 ah batteries or better...brushless... as for the Clam Plate a good option offers stability when drilling and gets the drill up off the ice when laid down . The only concern I have with the Nero( belive there is only a "mini") is the lack of a center point but others on IS have good things to say about its speed.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Oct 08, 2019, 07:32 AM »
I like my clam plate. It makes it comftorable to drill and it keeps the drill up off the snow and ice when laid down. I just use a mora, cheap and does a great job when combined with the drill and plate. I use a fuel and 5amp hour batteries. I dont think I have ever had to change out the batteries. I use the spare battery I carry as a power source to charge my phone, milwaukee has an adapter for that.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 08, 2019, 07:48 AM »
I'm sure the Clam plate is nice, but I would not consider it a necessity. I drill up to 3 feet of ice with my K-Drill and Fuel setup quite often and it's no issue.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline fishslap

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Oct 08, 2019, 07:57 AM »
Thanks guys.  I might just go with the 7” mora.  I’m assuming I’d need to pick up a separate drill adapter?  Still undecided on the clam plate but I might just get it and see what I like.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Oct 08, 2019, 08:15 AM »
Thanks guys.  I might just go with the 7” mora.  I’m assuming I’d need to pick up a separate drill adapter?  Still undecided on the clam plate but I might just get it and see what I like.

Looks like it comes with a lot of "accessories" so you may not need a adapter.

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Oct 08, 2019, 08:20 AM »

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #9 on: Oct 08, 2019, 08:38 AM »
Adapter is not needed for the mora if using the clam plate, but without it you’d need an adapter. I will say the Mora is kinda short, so an extension would be worthwhile.  I’m looking at them for this year.
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Oct 08, 2019, 09:13 AM »

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Oct 08, 2019, 12:23 PM »
That combination that you're contemplating. Fuel 2804 drill, Clam plate, and 7" Nero could hardly be improved upon. I'm a big fan of all three of those components individually and

working together, with that torque, those RPM's and those blades, you'll be hittin' on eight. Speed and durability at a price that won't break the bank.It is a good idea to feather your

speed as you reach the bottom of the ice since that Nero can be a bit grabby at breakthrough and that Fuel can be a bruiser.. The Clam will get you through that no problem. PM me

if you have specific questions.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #12 on: Oct 08, 2019, 01:39 PM »
Nobody has mentioned the Rigid Octane.  More torque than the Milwaukee Fuel (1500 vs 1200) and lifetime warranty to boot.  That includes the batteries if buy a combo package (drill,charger,batteries).  Rigid only offers 9ah batteries as opposed to Milwaukee's 12ah, but I have yet to go thru 9ah in a day.  Only other advice - if you don't get the clam plate and need an adapter, make sure you get the Kovac steel adapter and not the aluminum Rapala/Strikemaster adapter. 

Offline winterbuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Oct 08, 2019, 01:53 PM »
make sure you get the Kovac steel adapter and not the aluminum Rapala/Strikemaster adapter.

I agree with the Kovac adapter being the best choice and the SM being a bad choice, but the nda-1 adapter by Strikemaster is junk steel, not aluminum.  I destroyed one after about 30 holes. 

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Oct 08, 2019, 03:28 PM »
Nobody has mentioned the Rigid Octane.  More torque than the Milwaukee Fuel (1500 vs 1200) and lifetime warranty to boot.  That includes the batteries if buy a combo package (drill,charger,batteries).  Rigid only offers 9ah batteries as opposed to Milwaukee's 12ah, but I have yet to go thru 9ah in a day.  Only other advice - if you don't get the clam plate and need an adapter, make sure you get the Kovac steel adapter and not the aluminum Rapala/Strikemaster adapter.
I told myself that I was going to stay out of the auger wars this season but the urge to stick my nose in other people's business is just too tempting. Fishslap, the OP, was contemplating a setup consisting of Milwaukee Fuel drill, Clam plate, and 7" Nero. That combo ticks all the boxes for speed, durability, weight, and net cost. But I also run your
setup with the Ridgid Octane spinning a Kovac adaptor to the Nero flite unit. The Octane is also a robust drill and that lifetime warranty is nothing to sneeze at, though I've run Milwaukee corded tools for close to fifty years and have never had one quit on me.
  An odd difference in the setups was noticed last season. When I ran the Fuel drill, I had to have it mounted to a Clam plate or it beat the snot out of me. That thing can twist your arm off at the root.. I couldn't get the Octane to mount right on the Clam so I just ran it directly through the Kovac adaptor and found that if I mounted the auxiliary handle at 180 degrees opposite the trigger handle then I could control it.  Same flite unit. Go figure.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Oct 08, 2019, 03:39 PM »
I use the M18 Fuel attached to the Clam Plate w/ extension with an 8” Lazer. In 20” of ice I can get at least 30 holes on one 5ah battery. For more holes I was considering getting a 6” auger. Half as much ice to cut means twice as many holes. Well, I like an 8” hole too much to downsize so I bought this.

A 12ah battery should cover my needs now and I don’t have to sacrifice hole diameter. If you end up going the drill route, ebay has good deals on batteries. I got the above 12ah for $146.00 shipped. It came brand new unsealed in bulk “contractor pack” packaging. Actually, that’s also where I got that 5ah in the picture also.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline fishslap

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Oct 09, 2019, 11:35 AM »
Thanks for the advice and info guys

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #17 on: Oct 09, 2019, 11:58 PM »
Thanks for the advice and info guys

Fish slap....if you want to go for a low price and very effective setup...here is what I would suggest.

Do the Milwaukee 725in/lb or higher BRUSHLESS drill.

Get an adaptor like below so it the chuck on the drill comes lose you don't drop the auger down the hole.

Get the clam extention like below, so you don't have to be hunched over to auger holes.

The put an old 7in mora on for an auger. That way if you want an 8in auger all you have to do is put a set of 8in blades on it. 😉

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #18 on: Oct 15, 2019, 04:15 PM »
Ok don’t want to glom this thread but have been reading drill threads for a couple of hours now. So I found a Makita bare tool driver hammer drill for $149.00. The one with 1,090 torque. Already have a tool that came with a charger and 5 ah battery. Going to use it with a 6” mini Nero. I fish lakes I know very well so normally drill less than 15 holes per outing. Any reason not to pull the trigger? Thanks!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #19 on: Oct 15, 2019, 04:21 PM »
If it has that much torque it will work great with the mini nero or any other auger.make sure it has a strong side handle if your not planning on the clam plate.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #20 on: Oct 15, 2019, 04:57 PM »
Ok don’t want to glom this thread but have been reading drill threads for a couple of hours now. So I found a Makita bare tool driver hammer drill for $149.00. The one with 1,090 torque. Already have a tool that came with a charger and 5 ah battery. Going to use it with a 6” mini Nero. I fish lakes I know very well so normally drill less than 15 holes per outing. Any reason not to pull the trigger? Thanks!
Keep it safe! JDL

Looks to have the right specs and handle design ..its not one of the most used/talked about but should work

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Oct 15, 2019, 08:41 PM »

I have read a number of cases where the side handle has failed---that's 1 reason I use  a Clam with my Ridgid drill.

I have a Mora. Be careful on glare ice as it will tend to skate----maybe towards your toes!!
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline fishslap

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Oct 15, 2019, 10:28 PM »
Thanks.  I went with the original plan and have the 7” mini Nero, clam plate, and fuel 2804 on the way.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Oct 16, 2019, 08:24 AM »
A frisbee or various Red Green type contraptions will work as well as this 'stopper'

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Oct 16, 2019, 08:57 AM »
Thanks.  I went with the original plan and have the 7” mini Nero, clam plate, and fuel 2804 on the way.
You could not have made a better selection out of all the many good combo options. Scratch the auger problem off your list.
                                                               Stinky

Online rundrave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Oct 16, 2019, 09:16 AM »
Keep it safe! JDL

You will be fine, I have the Makita XPH07Z that I use with an 8" Lazer hand auger. It works great and the side handle on the the Makita drill is nice and sturdy. The only downside is I dont think the Makita batteries handle the cold as well as some of the other brands. I try to keep the batteries warm in the shack or in a small cooler with some hand warmers. If your just drilling 15 holes you will be fine. Just keep the battery warm.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #26 on: Oct 17, 2019, 06:27 AM »
Thanks that is the drill I am looking at.Now to convince my CFO to appropriate the funds!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline jedhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Oct 17, 2019, 06:42 AM »
Funny nobody mentioned the Ice Kicker 2. Love that device with a 7 inch Mora and 2704 M18, kicks ass, not as pretty as the Clam plate, but I would prefer performance over pretty any day. Can't wait for some ice!

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Oct 23, 2019, 05:02 PM »

You’re going to have a real fun season. Drilling holes just became sport!
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Oct 23, 2019, 05:56 PM »
Are those Ice Kickers still sold? I Googled it and all the links were quite old.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.