Author Topic: Dewalt torque rating?  (Read 7106 times)

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Dewalt torque rating?
« on: Feb 20, 2019, 03:41 PM »
trying to find out what the torque rating is for a cordless drill model DC759. Dewalt does not provide a torque rating in their specs nor owners manual. I contacted Dewalt and they advise that their drills do not have a torque rating. they use  Units Watts Out (UWO). this drill has 380 UWO. this person could not tell me what this means. can anyone tell me how this compares with a drill with a torque rating?

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Dewalt torque rating?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20, 2019, 04:07 PM »
I think it is somewhere around 420 UWO and not anywhere near the 840 UWO the 996 is. This isn't torque it is whatever they measure it as UWO whatever.
<===Lefty===

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 20, 2019, 05:06 PM »
trying to find out what the torque rating is for a cordless drill model DC759. Dewalt does not provide a torque rating in their specs nor owners manual. I contacted Dewalt and they advise that their drills do not have a torque rating. they use  Units Watts Out (UWO). this drill has 380 UWO. this person could not tell me what this means. can anyone tell me how this compares with a drill with a torque rating?

Here is a pretty good read on the subject;  https://www.protoolreviews.com/buying-guides/max-watts-out/13109/

I'm sure you can find more articles by doing  a search for "unit watts out vs inch pounds"
take care,
Dave  :>)

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Feb 20, 2019, 08:23 PM »
http://www.powerdrillcentral.com/dewalt-dc759ka-review-things-to-know-before-you-buy-the-18v-drilldriver-kit/

"The cordless drill/driver has been around for years. It has proved itself to be a reliable power tool. The motor delivers up to 380 UWO (Unit Watts Out). The power rating is not comparable to inch-pounds. In other words, there is no way to compare a DeWalt drill’s power rating with another drill that still uses the traditional industry standard. UWO factors in both torque and speed. Basically, the higher the power rating, the faster the drill can complete its work. It is nice to know however that the DC759 was advertised as having 450 in lbs of torque in the past."
EYECONICFISHING

Offline RickWakeman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 20, 2019, 08:33 PM »
Is there a reason why they wouldn't use the industry standard of measuring the drills capability?

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Feb 20, 2019, 08:36 PM »
Is there a reason why they wouldn't use the industry standard of measuring the drills capability?

I would say because they were beat in that category, all the competition (even ryobi) had a drill with higher torque at the time of the switch. So instead of advertising that their drills were less powerful, they started using their own way of telling the drill's power.

That's my opinion at least.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 20, 2019, 10:38 PM »
if you plan to use it for a auger then you will need to go with the Dewalt 900 series of drills. preferred drills are the 995,996, or 997. the 700 series it too light duty and will burn out fast if you try to use it with a auger. I made that mistake back when the Clam plates came out. I got a 771 and it didn't last. burnt the brushes up on it.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #7 on: Feb 21, 2019, 08:30 AM »
they don't want you to know what your buying into in the usa market.

if you research https://www.dewalt.co.uk/ they use nm for torque.
here is their 997. say's it's 95 nm max torque hard.

use a converter and you'll get inch pounds of 840.82085005.
https://www.convertunits.com/from/newton+meter/to/inch+lbs

it is designed to cut up to 2.165354" of wood and up to 0.5905512" of metal.

if you like math then this might help.
http://www.myelectrical2015.com/2017/10/torque-and-output-power-equation-of-dc.html

Offline John_BZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 21, 2019, 08:55 AM »
Would be cool if a YouTube tool reviewer did an independent torque test to see how the flagship hammer drills from Milwaukee, Makita, Dewalt, and Ridgid stacked up in the real world. The manufacturer can write whatever number they want on the box,  doesn't mean the drill is producing what they say it is. That and they are all probably using some test method that allows the tool to generate the peak torque for a moment in a very specific set of circumstances that doesn't translate well to real world use. I'd be more curious to the sustained torque more than the peak.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #9 on: Feb 21, 2019, 09:03 AM »
i agree.
i see dewalt uses the notation of hard and soft for max torque, what ever that means.
Max Torque (Hard)    95 Nm
Max Torque (Soft)    66 Nm

they all should use a predefined load or set of loads for comparison like we have for other measurements such as decibels and distortion.
it would also be good to see how long it can sustain the rated torque.

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 21, 2019, 09:24 AM »
Choose wisely

&t=115s

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 21, 2019, 09:25 AM »

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Feb 21, 2019, 12:06 PM »
Very good review on all those drills.  I see Ridgid comes somewhere in the middle. No mention of stalling out.  All the drill craze has been interesting at best. I also own the Ridgid 700 "# from last year and it turns the 7" Mini Nero just fine. When the ice gets deep or there is slush even it turns off.  I will use it for early ice again next year but I went back to the trusty old Eskimo Gas Auger. 32 "s and me at 66 isn't too much for me at least as much as I drill. Folks that drill 30 holes a day sure can complain about the weight though.
<===Lefty===

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 21, 2019, 12:14 PM »
Or if you would rather read:

https://www.toolboxbuzz.com/head-to-head/best-cordless-1-2-hammer-drill/
.      I’m sure if they did this test in a cold(0-20°) environment the Milwaukee would easily be the winner in cold weather. Like leave in those temps for 4-6 hrs then do the test

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.