The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Milwaukee M18 drill  (Read 4077 times)

Offline abbatoys

• IceShanty Rookie
Milwaukee M18 drill
« on: Oct 23, 2019, 08:31 AM »
I know these drill questions have been beaten to death but I actually have a question / comment.....Amazon has the Milwaukee hammer drill on sale for $114 and today a lightning deal today for 9.0 battery for like $59.....Will need a charger also but is this a deal I can't pass up.???? I was looking at the rigid drill as I am done with my gas auger. I certainly do not burn up the ice when I go fishing 15-20 times a year.....Thanks, Scott

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Milwaukee M18 drill
« Reply #1 on: Oct 23, 2019, 08:54 AM »
Just a heads up... Went looking for that 9 ah battery deal, under 60 bucks shipped is a good price but unfortunately it's not a Milwaukee battery, just a knock off. Maybe the quality is on par but another $10 gets a legit Milwaukee piece.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 23, 2019, 09:06 AM »
The Milwaukee 9ah battery s $114 though. I don't think I would buy off brand batteries for a regulated lithium ion device.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 23, 2019, 09:15 AM »
The Milwaukee 9ah battery s $114 though. I don't think I would buy off brand batteries for a regulated lithium ion device.

Wow, your right... I didn't realize how good a deal I got on one this spring for $70, just figured that was around the going rate... should have bought 3.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 23, 2019, 01:33 PM »
Wow, your right... I didn't realize how good a deal I got on one this spring for $70, just figured that was around the going rate... should have bought 3.

Yeah, I bought at Home Depot, impactor and drill when they had a free accessory deal, you could get a light or radio I think or a 9ah battery. No brainer, I got the 9ah battery. I have never ran out of juice.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 23, 2019, 04:27 PM »
If you're not fishing a run a gun style where you're drilling thirty holes plus per day, that 5ah Milwaukee will work fine. Avoid the knockoff brand 9ah. The Ridgid Octane 9ah also has

plenty of muscle (more than you'll need) and plenty of juice. Weighs about two lbs. more. I own them both and have used both for shop work and as an ice auger power unit. Good

tools both but if I could own only one it would be the M18 Fuel. Just feels better in the hand IMO.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline winterbuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 23, 2019, 04:47 PM »
If you're not fishing a run a gun style where you're drilling thirty holes plus per day, that 5ah Milwaukee will work fine.

Totally agree, the 5ah work great. 

I have two of the 12ah; I don't necessarily recommend that size for drilling ice.  The heavier 9 and 12ah will reduce the impact of possible pass-through inertia on the user end at break through, but I prefer using a couple 5 or 6ah for the drill.   

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 23, 2019, 05:00 PM »
Ebay is a great place for Milwaukee batteries (drill batteries from any manufacturer really). Just throwing that out there. I just got a 12ah brand new genuine Milwaukee battery for $147 shipped to my door. Took 4 days because of the weekend. If you go that route, just be sure to triple read the description to make sure you know exactly what you’re potentially buying.

I also bought my 5ah from eBay about 3 seasons ago? It was just shy of $100 bucks then and it was still a good deal, new in retail packaging. I think those are around $50 now. Still works great now but I don’t want to give up an 8” hole so I got the 12ah. I never pay full retail price for drill batteries, and neither should anyone else.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline SteveTheChimneySweep

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Oct 23, 2019, 09:53 PM »
What is the difference between the high output and high demand batteries?
I saw a 8 AH high output and a 9 AH high demand.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Oct 24, 2019, 06:02 AM »
I use the 12 AH batteries. About the same size and weight and more power. I also use the same battery to power my Livescope.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Oct 24, 2019, 07:15 AM »
I have a M18 and 5ah batteries. I can tell you from experience most ice fisherman will not need any larger of a battery. Unless all you do is run and gun all day 1 5ah battery is all you will need. I have a spare and have never needed it but I use it for my milwaukee power source to charge my phone. I have owned multiple Milwaukee cordless drills and other milwaukee tools, they are great quality. Dont buy knock off batteries, not the same quality. If you wait for blackfriday deals sometimes you can pick up a 2 pk for the price of a single although last year I didnt see that deal unlike previous years.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 01, 2019, 09:16 AM »
AVE on youtube does a comparison of the knockoffs. not good. 

Offline kevin1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 24, 2019, 08:45 AM »
while were on the milwaukee Drill subject, should i get the hammer drill 2804 or will the regular drill 2803 be just as good, both priced the same. I figure the hammer drill would be a bit beefier. or is there a better option from Milwaukee.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Nov 24, 2019, 08:53 AM »
while were on the milwaukee Drill subject, should i get the hammer drill 2804 or will the regular drill 2803 be just as good, both priced the same. I figure the hammer drill would be a bit beefier. or is there a better option from Milwaukee.

Don't think there is any difference in quality ..at least none reported to my knowledge by IS members ..but I will say seems to be better deals on the 2804 now for some reason ..lower prices and extra goods are pretty easy to find . But in my experience tool deals cease around the holidays ...no codes ..no extras .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 29, 2019, 10:01 AM »
The hammer drill version is not beefier and you're not going to be using the hammer function on the ice though you may need it come Summer.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.