Author Topic: trot line under the ice?  (Read 5786 times)

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
Re: trot line under the ice?
« Reply #30 on: Dec 21, 2013, 07:08 AM »
we have been checked many times on ice or in the boat without issue or even mention of this. on ice its usually piles by every guy. in the boat however, its a big cooler with ice jugs in it, and all the fish go in that. i believe they would have to be videoing you catching and keeping 26 crappie to make it stick. not much chance of that happening unless you been turned in and they working a sting. now they do watch guys with binoculars from a far. i have seen them a few times. i started carrying binocs of my own in my bag. when i see them watching us ill watch rite back till they leave. not because i break the rules(dont want to loose my lifetime license so i dont chance it) its because i dont like people sneaking around watching me. dont care who it is! 

im pretty sure possessing a trot line on the ice, and 15 walleye would get you busted though hogger. lol
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #31 on: Dec 21, 2013, 01:49 PM »
we have been checked many times on ice or in the boat without issue or even mention of this. on ice its usually piles by every guy. in the boat however, its a big cooler with ice jugs in it, and all the fish go in that. i believe they would have to be videoing you catching and keeping 26 crappie to make it stick. not much chance of that happening unless you been turned in and they working a sting. now they do watch guys with binoculars from a far. i have seen them a few times. i started carrying binocs of my own in my bag. when i see them watching us ill watch rite back till they leave. not because i break the rules(dont want to loose my lifetime license so i dont chance it) its because i dont like people sneaking around watching me. dont care who it is! 

im pretty sure possessing a trot line on the ice, and 15 walleye would get you busted though hogger. lol

This is correct they would have to see you catching and keeping your 25, then continuing to fish and adding to the collective pile or cooler or giving them away and yes they do watch from a far.  If there are more in the the pile than one limit I have seen them ask that they be separtated into two piles to avoid any problems.  The time guys got nailed that I know of they were fishing and caught 50 and then sacked them in 2 sacks and walked off.  The CO was waiting where they parked asked to see the bags and one guy had 27 and the other 23, so even though they had a 2 man limit between them and were fishing together the one was 'possessing' 2 over his limit and got a ticket.  It was simply an error when sacking them but it cost him.  I fish michigan waters alot and am careful when fishing in a group to make sure no one pile has more than 25 in it.  Also make sure each guy carries a sack with no more than 25 in it when walking off the ice.

Offline ice_mike

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #32 on: Dec 21, 2013, 03:03 PM »
So if legal the main line could be stretched above the ice. I could drill 50 holes and put my drop lines down each hole with a big ole shiner on the hooks.
There's no way I'd do this, but what's your thoughts on the concept?

mike

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Dec 21, 2013, 04:04 PM »
So if legal the main line could be stretched above the ice. I could drill 50 holes and put my drop lines down each hole with a big ole shiner on the hooks.
There's no way I'd do this, but what's your thoughts on the concept?

mike

I don't think so. I think the hook limit on rods applies here too.

Even if it would be legal I can see if you got a boat load of fish you'd easily get yourself in some hot water also considering you could be over the bag limit and they'd probably swallow the hook.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline black55

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Dec 23, 2013, 01:51 PM »
so have we all agreed that we can use 3 hooks per pole now or is it still being debated?
I live in the great state of Dazed and Confused !

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #35 on: Dec 23, 2013, 04:24 PM »

OANN the real story

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Dec 24, 2013, 10:12 AM »
here black
http://www.in.gov/nrc/files/lsa_13-212E.pdf

I did not know they changed the hook limit per line from 2 to 3 as stated in the link. The DNR needs to update the site showing Regulations. I do see its a temporary rule, the start date was May 24-13 but I don't see a ending date, anyone have any info on the ending date?

They should have posted a end date for this Temp. rule. Without posting a ending date, it could cause someone to get arrested. Say the DNR decides to end this Temp rule and go back to 2 hooks. Someone out there is not gona see that and get arrested.

As for a trot line being legal on the ice. The email I sent the DNR last Friday has not be replied to. I am going to send it out again.

FRANK SINATRA, The Hangover Survival Guide

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

Offline MC_angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Dec 24, 2013, 10:40 AM »
There is no end date on the temporary rule allowing 3 hooks/line because they haven't put out any more regulations. Since they had an emergency rule allowing 3 hooks last year (a result of the Alabama Rig craze), then passed a temporary rule change this spring, I would expect that they are drafting a new permanent regulation, but regulations  have to go thru a standard process thru the Natural Resource Commission. Regulations aren't just arbitrarily changed at random times in an attempt to confuse people... that seems to be easy enough as is! :)

I wouldn't worry, they put out a press release about the new hook regulation, and they will do so again if the regulations change.

As for your email getting answered, I wouldn't hold your breath since state offices are closed today and tomorrow and they probably have a billion email backlog

I'd call your local district law enforcement anyways, since they'd be the ones handing out a ticket to ya

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Dec 25, 2013, 07:34 PM »
There is no end date on the temporary rule allowing 3 hooks/line because they haven't put out any more regulations. ...................... ...

As for your email getting answered, I wouldn't hold your breath since state offices are closed today and tomorrow and they probably have a billion email backlog

I'd call your local district law enforcement anyways, since they'd be the ones handing out a ticket to ya

When they passed the temp rule on 5 hooks, they had a expiration date of 1 year which latest until Dec 2012 . So wonder why didn't they put a expiration date on the temp 3 hook rule?

As for calling the DNR, tried that. Called the Indy office, they said the officers where in an meeting. That person patched me thru to my local office, got a recording and no reply to message left. I emailed/called them on the 20th which was before Xmas so their email box should not have been full. By law they are supposed to reply, we do pay their salary. If they do not reply to my last email by weeks end. I will just start calling the Indy office everyday.

Or, maybe its something the DNR never thought about and there is no law on runniing a trot line "under the ice" during winter on ice covered lakes. If there is no law on it, then I would guess if the line is run under the ice, then there's nothing the DNR can do to stop it. Since the trot line rules do not stipulate its only aloud durin wet water season.

FRANK SINATRA, The Hangover Survival Guide

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

Offline fishogger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Dec 26, 2013, 08:15 AM »
thanks for the update. time will tell, i inquired about it too.
got grease?

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #40 on: Dec 26, 2013, 07:17 PM »
i asked a CO on another site also. will post response when i get one. if its legal, im sure there will be a few on hear loosing sleep over it. 

OANN the real story

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.