The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: OT Maple Taps  (Read 155633 times)

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: OT Maple Taps
« Reply #1110 on: Feb 22, 2019, 02:34 PM »
Got my lines and buckets out and washed them today.  Im ready...... ;D

Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1111 on: Feb 22, 2019, 04:26 PM »
No! Not yet! What are you thinking?!? I’ve had my ice gear ready since sept, not even going to think about spring stuff yet.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1112 on: Feb 22, 2019, 05:35 PM »
My mind isn't even close to thinking sap season with 28-30" of ice but you are right,  wont be long at all now.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #1113 on: Feb 22, 2019, 07:45 PM »
Key Chain, I wondered when someone would start this thread back up. Best to all of you with this season's sap collecting and syrup making.
Steve

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
« Reply #1114 on: Feb 23, 2019, 06:24 AM »
Temps have been right in southern Maine . 30-40 days and teens and 20s at night .

Offline fmm1991

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1115 on: Feb 23, 2019, 01:49 PM »
My son convinced me to tap early. Temps are right but nothing flowing...

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1116 on: Feb 27, 2019, 05:56 AM »
My son convinced me to tap early. Temps are right but nothing flowing...

Trees are froze up in good shape,  it will be awhile in our neck of woods.  Got a feeling it might be a good year eventually with all the moisture in the ground.

I was poking around the net and found a new product that smokey lake maple came out with for backyard hobbyist called the star cat.  A 16x30 flat plan that supposedly does 8 mph, arch ships in bolt together form, will be interesting to see response in the market.

Offline MarkNFish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1117 on: Feb 27, 2019, 02:49 PM »
If you tapped trees up here right now, you wouldn't be able to reach them when (if) the snow melts :(

Offline JDK

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1118 on: Feb 28, 2019, 04:46 AM »
If you tapped trees up here right now, you wouldn't be able to reach them when (if) the snow melts :(

You speak the truth.

I'm just here to read what all the experts have to say.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1119 on: Feb 28, 2019, 05:04 AM »
You speak the truth.

I think you have a big producer in Eagle Lake, he may not tap until June at this rate.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1120 on: Mar 06, 2019, 10:01 AM »
OK central and southern Maine sap-a-holics, if you can find your trees in all the snow this is the weekend to get the taps in, northern boyz will have to wait until 4th of July!!!

Offline Keychain

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Don't yell FLAG, yell KEYCHAIN!!!
« Reply #1121 on: Mar 06, 2019, 10:31 AM »
OK central and southern Maine sap-a-holics, if you can find your trees in all the snow this is the weekend to get the taps in, northern boyz will have to wait until 4th of July!!!
Not sure I'm really ready yet, but Mother Nature doesn't really care about that, does she?  Put 12 taps out earlier this week and am debating whether I do any more or keep it scaled back a bit this year.  Still have over a gallon of syrup left from last year so not much point in making a ton more just to store it for another year.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1122 on: Mar 06, 2019, 10:37 AM »
Not sure I'm really ready yet, but Mother Nature doesn't really care about that, does she?  Put 12 taps out earlier this week and am debating whether I do any more or keep it scaled back a bit this year.  Still have over a gallon of syrup left from last year so not much point in making a ton more just to store it for another year.

I have a bunch left over as well, hard not to fight the temptation to put in a few however.  Same setup still keychain?

Offline Keychain

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1123 on: Mar 06, 2019, 10:44 AM »
I have a bunch left over as well, hard not to fight the temptation to put in a few however.  Same setup still keychain?
Same setup for boiling but started using some bigger buckets last year.  Right now I have 12 taps flowing (hopefully?) into 6 5 gallon buckets.  Hoping to not have to check/collect every day.  When it runs well, my smaller buckets would sometimes overflow in a day.  Had some land cleared for a garage project which yielded a cord and a half of poplar.  Seems like that should burn hot and fast enough to evap some sap.  We'll just have to see how well I can stick to the "scale it back" plan... :)

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1124 on: Mar 06, 2019, 10:57 AM »
Same setup for boiling but started using some bigger buckets last year.  Right now I have 12 taps flowing (hopefully?) into 6 5 gallon buckets.  Hoping to not have to check/collect every day.  When it runs well, my smaller buckets would sometimes overflow in a day.  Had some land cleared for a garage project which yielded a cord and a half of poplar.  Seems like that should burn hot and fast enough to evap some sap.  We'll just have to see how well I can stick to the "scale it back" plan... :)

We are our own worst enemies on this hobby, when you see another maple, tap goes in! ;D  Poplar should be fine, burns fast, burns hot, little ash to it, you'll just be feeding it alot.  Some claim it has a little skunky smell to it when it burns, just make sure it doesn't taint your boil, you'll know after first go round.  Good luck.

Offline fmm1991

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1125 on: Mar 11, 2019, 04:27 PM »
Buckets empty today:( starting to think I didn’t do something right.

Offline tcfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #1126 on: Mar 11, 2019, 06:57 PM »

No worries i got 7 gal saturday , Today i wasnt sure about how much was water and snow from the storm so dumped em , Gonna get better later this week ,keep at it you,ll see better results tomorrow
i ain't scared

Offline tcfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #1127 on: Mar 11, 2019, 06:59 PM »
   ok so qick question i use use propane to boil down my sap , takes me approx 3 hours to do 5 gal ,is this resonable or not , i know its not cost effective however i do enjoy the whole process ,I know i can buy it cheaper but hey it my own stuff
i ain't scared

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1128 on: Mar 11, 2019, 07:18 PM »
   ok so qick question i use use propane to boil down my sap , takes me approx 3 hours to do 5 gal ,is this resonable or not , i know its not cost effective however i do enjoy the whole process ,I know i can buy it cheaper but hey it my own stuff

Its got all do with the size of the pan you are using more than your choice of heat source,  a 2x3 pan gives you 6 gph, a 2x4 gives you 8. Gph, etc.  You must have a steam table pan or two I'm guessing

Offline tcfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #1129 on: Mar 11, 2019, 07:20 PM »
  yeah i steam pan and 1 alum pot  , im at 216 on my 1st batch right now
i ain't scared

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1130 on: Mar 11, 2019, 07:32 PM »
  yeah i steam pan and 1 alum pot  , im at 216 on my 1st batch right now

Don't take your eye off it!😁

Offline tcfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #1131 on: Mar 11, 2019, 07:44 PM »
   Done 1st one always seems the sweetest !!!
i ain't scared

Offline tcfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #1132 on: Mar 11, 2019, 07:55 PM »

i ain't scared

Offline Keychain

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1133 on: Mar 12, 2019, 08:39 AM »
Don't take your eye off it!😁
Uh, yeah, what gamefisher said... :)

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1134 on: Mar 12, 2019, 08:53 AM »
Uh, yeah, what gamefisher said... :)

You might have taken that batch just a smidge too far. ;D Keychain always takes the cake in entertainment value!  I really got in the habit the last few years of just taking a batch close to near syrup and then letting it sit in a stainless pot in the cold.  As I boiled the next batch I would just do the same and add to pot.  Over time a lot of the sediment settles to the bottom and then when you have a gallon or two to finish just be careful to not include the guck in your process.  Since finishing and bottling is the worse part of this hobby for the backyarder, certainly makes it much easier to only do it a time or two per season.

PS - I've noticed that one of the trends is to not filter it all.  The granolas call it "all organic". ;D  If it's just for personal use, don't worry too much how it looks..... or just bottle in plastic. ;D 

Offline Keychain

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1135 on: Mar 12, 2019, 09:15 AM »
Took about a month of soaking and scrubbing, but I was able to save the pot...  ;D

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1136 on: Mar 12, 2019, 03:22 PM »

PS - I've noticed that one of the trends is to not filter it all.  The granolas call it "all organic". ;D  If it's just for personal use, don't worry too much how it looks..... or just bottle in plastic. ;D

I don't filter my syrup. I pour it in gallon glass jars and leave it alone for a few days. The sediment settles to the bottom and I pour clean syrup into pint bottles.

Offline Keychain

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1137 on: Mar 14, 2019, 07:03 PM »
Checked my buckets yesterday and not a whole lot of action.  Earlier this week I thought I might be boiling this weekend but leaving for Moosehead in the morning instead.  Hope they don't overflow while I'm gone, but if they do, oh well...

Offline fmm1991

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1138 on: Mar 15, 2019, 04:47 PM »
Nothing here really either!

Offline tcfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #1139 on: Mar 15, 2019, 06:20 PM »
  really slowed up here in gorham 
i ain't scared