Author Topic: Panoptix livescope  (Read 3926 times)

Offline Bubbadoyle

• IceShanty Rookie
Panoptix livescope
« on: Dec 13, 2018, 08:03 PM »
I’d like to set up a livescope ice unit. I can’t find a lot of info on what locators are compatible with the livescope. Pretty sure the echo map plus 93sv is though. Kind of leaning that way. If there’s anybody on here that’s done this build I’d appreciate a list of what all was purchased to do it. Thanks.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Panoptix livescope
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 2018, 08:12 PM »
I bought the Livescope (transducer and box together with cables in the pkg). Then I bought the ice kit (bag, ice transducer and battery - transducer optional and battery I used elsewhere). Then I just built my kit. I used Milwaukee M18 12AH battery to power kit.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2018, 08:29 PM »
The Echomap Plus 93sv is Livescope compatible. Cabela's currently has them for $599.97, plus you can get a free $10 giftcard if you ship it to store for pickup. Cabela's is also at 10% cashback through Active Junky right now. If you're not an active junky member, you can join through my link and we both get $10. https://www.activejunky.com/invite/1481754

Your other options are the Plus 7xcv or 7xsv or one of the newer GPSMAP devices. You can find a full list of compatible devices here: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/591379#devices

I have the Plus 93sv with the PS22 (original panoptix) ducer and it's pretty sweet. Livescope looks amazing, but I want to wait until they release a new chartplotter that doesn't need the black box for Livescope.

Offline clintonstick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 13, 2018, 10:20 PM »
i bought the panoptix ice bundle for $1299 from reeds and the echomap plus 93sv from cabelas for $599 they gave me and my wife each 10% off and a free hat and nice little bag.I think it came to $525 out the door.I am very CHEAP and never thought i would spend $1800 for a fishfinder,i barely spend that on a vehicle.LOL

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2018, 10:23 PM »
The GPS store has the 93sv for $599 and no tax for most.

As far as the Livescope, a lot of places are sold out, just talked to a guy in Scheels and they are hoping to get them before February. That said, there are plenty of places that have them in stock at full MSRP.

I bought my batteries from Energized Outdoors. Got them through the group buy.

I put the full setup into the clam flasher bag, and made a ducer pole for about $15 total from PVC from Menards.

I feel like for my needs I could have probably gotten away with just one 10ah lithiu. battery, but if I'll spend all day on ice I'm sure one needs the two or one with higher amps. The Livescope sucks up the battery pretty good.

Overall there is nothing like that available, and it performs exactly how advertised. You can see the fish react to your jig and watch them come from far distances.

Offline Bubbadoyle

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 14, 2018, 09:08 AM »
Thanks. That gives me a little more info to go on. I’m going to be selling a few things to fund this so if I’ll probably purchase the locator while it’s on sale first and then go from there.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #6 on: Dec 14, 2018, 11:02 AM »
It is a lot of money for something that will be better and cheaper in a few more years when they get the bugs worked out along with copycats. I remember paying $800 for my first vcr.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 14, 2018, 11:11 AM »
It is a lot of money for something that will be better and cheaper in a few more years when they get the bugs worked out along with copycats. I remember paying $800 for my first vcr.

Yup...when you are older you will realize that a "few more years" is actually worth much more than a few bucks spent on a fish finder. Some of us may only have a "few more years" left of quality ice fishing. :whistle:

Beyond that, I can catch a lot of fish in a few more years...probably enough to amortize some serious costs for a better finder.  Not for everybody yet, but worth it to many.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 14, 2018, 11:50 AM »
Yup...when you are older you will realize that a "few more years" is actually worth much more than a few bucks spent on a fish finder. Some of us may only have a "few more years" left of quality ice fishing. :whistle:

Beyond that, I can catch a lot of fish in a few more years...probably enough to amortize some serious costs for a better finder.  Not for everybody yet, but worth it to many.

Well stated, I get a feeling that a lot of guys saying it is expensive have not actually checked it out or don't look at the dramatic difference from anything out there. Of course it is decent chunk of money, that doesn't mean it is spent on poorly developed device. To dismiss it as overpriced is really underestimating its value. As far as waiting it out, I'd say good luck. Garmin has been around the block, when the new thing comes out they will not keep making this one, I can see them phase out panoptix within this next year. Look at new cell phones, price actually keeps going up even though the technology is getting more affordable to produce.

I got into fly fishing recently and let me tell you some of those rods are expensive......I bet I'll wait a long time before they come down in price.  ;)

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #9 on: Dec 14, 2018, 01:56 PM »
Oh come on it is a glorified camera basically. I can see even a small 3" bluegill coming up to eat my jig with a flasher, do I really need to see the fins moving? Will seeing the shape of the fish with fins moving make you catch more fish? I will admit it is more fun to watch than a flasher, but I can wait for the price to come down. I don't have much problem catching plenty of fish now, usually more than I care to keep. I thought I was crazy last summer buying a Helix 10 di, si mega for $1600 for the boat.

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #10 on: Dec 14, 2018, 02:00 PM »
Well stated, I get a feeling that a lot of guys saying it is expensive have not actually checked it out or don't look at the dramatic difference from anything out there. Of course it is decent chunk of money, that doesn't mean it is spent on poorly developed device. To dismiss it as overpriced is really underestimating its value. As far as waiting it out, I'd say good luck. Garmin has been around the block, when the new thing comes out they will not keep making this one, I can see them phase out panoptix within this next year. Look at new cell phones, price actually keeps going up even though the technology is getting more affordable to produce.

I got into fly fishing recently and let me tell you some of those rods are expensive......I bet I'll wait a long time before they come down in price.  ;)

What they do with fishing equipment is make the rod/reel you just got, better, so it makes yours now look cheap! St Croix is the master of this. Used to be the Avid was king, then they made the Legend, then the Legend Elite then the Legend Extreme.......so paying 200.00 for a rod now looks like you bought an Ugly Stick.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 14, 2018, 02:07 PM »
Oh come on it is a glorified camera basically. I can see even a small 3" bluegill coming up to eat my jig with a flasher, do I really need to see the fins moving? Will seeing the shape of the fish with fins moving make you catch more fish? I will admit it is more fun to watch than a flasher, but I can wait for the price to come down. I don't have much problem catching plenty of fish now, usually more than I care to keep. I thought I was crazy last summer buying a Helix 10 di, si mega for $1600 for the boat.

Yup...I honestly think that you definitely do not need one. You are happy and content, which is a strong place to be.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #12 on: Dec 14, 2018, 02:16 PM »
In a marketing class I learned there are always 3 different type of buyers, #1. Needs to buy the newest latest and greatest no matter what the cost. #2. Waits until bugs are worked out and it is a established product and the price has come down. #3. Is the guy who waits until it is almost obsolete before he finally buys one even at a very cheap price.

Offline clintonstick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 14, 2018, 02:22 PM »
For ice fishing you really only need some kind of string and a hook all else is just luxury,maybe only a hole and you can reach down and grab enough to eat or satsify you.LOL I can also catch plenty of fish also without my pantopix but i can afford it and i earned my own money so i can spend it like i feel.I guess i could just walk to the lake but i can get there faster and in more comfort in my brand new ford.LOL I guarantee no matter how skilled of a fisherman you are a sonar that can see 100 ft to the side if you use this unit right it will catch you more fish, not to mention the rush of seeing a nice fish swim 10 ft straight to your bait.Capitalism is a beautiful thing.

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 14, 2018, 02:24 PM »
In a marketing class I learned there are always 3 different type of buyers, #1. Needs to buy the newest latest and greatest no matter what the cost. #2. Waits until bugs are worked out and it is a established product and the price has come down. #3. Is the guy who waits until it is almost obsolete before he finally buys one even at a very cheap price.

Glad we are on part 2 with Livescope, since it is an upgrade to panoptix.

Offline ksgoosekillr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 14, 2018, 02:54 PM »
just a heads up there is a guy selling an adapter for ice fishing that will make your livescope be vertical instead of canted to one side. Selling them in the facebook Garmin Panoptix ice fishing group. Looks like a decent addition to view straight down.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 14, 2018, 03:02 PM »
Well at least it’s a camera that can see in all lighting conditions and water clarity. Like the difference of having a standard camera and having IR night vision or FLAIR in the dark or fog/smoke.
Actually, besides software and calibration, is there that much a difference between livescope and a portable ultrasound?

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 14, 2018, 03:04 PM »
Well at least it’s a camera that can see in all lighting conditions and water clarity. Like the difference of having a standard camera and having IR night vision or FLAIR in the dark or fog/smoke.

It is more like an ultrasound for the lake.

Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 14, 2018, 03:06 PM »
It is more like an ultrasound for the lake.

Ah! Must of been posting as I was editing and adding that thought.
Also, doesn’t the livescope mount have the ratchet system like the PS-22 mount?!

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 14, 2018, 03:11 PM »
The mount is moveable, but apparently it is canted approx 8 degrees to compensate for being attached to the trolling motor shaft (which I will not do).
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #20 on: Dec 14, 2018, 03:36 PM »
I am somewhere between consumer #1, and #2 or I wouldn't have just bought a Helix 10 for the boat. I understand a panoptix for ice fishing is kind of like side imaging for a boat. People who have the money to buy every new gadget I am jealous of. I know for a fact I caught fish this past summer using side imaging that I never would have without it. What I am talking about is when you are actually sitting fishing straight down through a hole is the live scope really going to help you catch more fish than a high end flasher?

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #21 on: Dec 14, 2018, 04:05 PM »
I am somewhere between consumer #1, and #2 or I wouldn't have just bought a Helix 10 for the boat. I understand a panoptix for ice fishing is kind of like side imaging for a boat. People who have the money to buy every new gadget I am jealous of. I know for a fact I caught fish this past summer using side imaging that I never would have without it. What I am talking about is when you are actually sitting fishing straight down through a hole is the live scope really going to help you catch more fish than a high end flasher?

I'm 2. I need a deal for it to happen.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 14, 2018, 04:18 PM »

Even if you are right and, as a good flasher guy, you can catch as many fish - it still may be WAY more fun to catch those same fish with a Livescope.

The fun itself may be worth it. I had an absolute blast catching Lake Trout on my camera last winter. It got so that it was almost more fun to see and not catch Lake Trout (but it didn't really ever happen) than catch fish without the camera.

Fun counts for something, and perhaps even a lot for some of us.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline jerryfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 14, 2018, 05:54 PM »
Not sure how true it is, but another post about Livescope tranducers warranty is void if used with temps under 32 degrees. Supposedly, that why Livescope is not part of the Panoptix Ice Bundle and LiveVu is tranducer included.

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Dec 14, 2018, 05:59 PM »
Not sure how true it is, but another post about Livescope tranducers warranty is void if used with temps under 32 degrees. Supposedly, that why Livescope is not part of the Panoptix Ice Bundle and LiveVu is tranducer included.

That's all b.s.
The panoptix ps22 ducer and the Livescope ducer have exactly the same operating and storage specs.

PS22

Livescope

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Dec 14, 2018, 06:17 PM »
Also, tough to find liquid water below 32 degrees.  ;D
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Dec 14, 2018, 11:14 PM »
Performs just fine both in and out of shanty.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Dec 14, 2018, 11:34 PM »
Also, tough to find liquid water below 32 degrees.  ;D
Ocean, or when the unit is pulled the the water and exposed to below freezing temps. But that said, still shouldn’t matter to the transducer unless it’s not water tight.

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Dec 15, 2018, 07:08 AM »

I talked to the Garmin Rep about the temperature thing at the Fargo Ice show last week, he said that using it for ice fishing is not an issue.

As far as cost and affordability, Gunflint hit it on the head.  Life is short and getting shorter, most on this forum have worked all their adult lives with the forward goal of being financially comfortable, so for those, why wait for prices to go down/technology to get better as the years slip away if it makes them happy and they can afford it?  For those that are still building up that war chest, your time will come.....

Offline Bearseatfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 15, 2018, 07:42 AM »
This guy shows how to do the build.
In winter we become gods and walk on water....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.