Author Topic: Marcum RT-9  (Read 1670 times)

Offline annie14

• IceShanty Rookie
Marcum RT-9
« on: Dec 05, 2018, 07:30 AM »
I have been curious to speak to other RT9 owners about their unit. I bought one a little over a year ago and i definitely think it could be a little better as far as the tablet software goes.
 They advertise it like it’s an android tablet which it is, but there’s no google play so if one wanted to download the ice fishing app that shows ice conditions you can’t. Or any other popular app for that matter. Maybe it’s just my tablet.

Has anyone else found a way to download apps with this thing?

Also is it worth purchasing the Navionics chip that will cost another $200 to have good maps?

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: Marcum RT-9
« Reply #1 on: Dec 05, 2018, 09:56 AM »
while you wait on rt9 owners, i know you can root android devices. i have done a few phones and tablets. this would allow more options and should allow for google play to get installed.
root means you'll be the administer of the device. no root means your a guest on the device with some write and read options. android is linux and being the admin in linux means root.

you always risk bricking the device when performing rooting procedures due to a glitch or wrong software. the best place to get started reading about rooting would be xda developers. you might not end up doing it, but you'll learn more about android.

also, the rt9 release date was way late because of software development due to googles strict requirements, who owns android os and fcc also with their strict requirements for any thing that uses radio signals or could cause interference in another device, so the android operating system was old by the time it was released. they had to use what ever was available at the time and build their app to go with it.

Offline annie14

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 05, 2018, 10:33 AM »
while you wait on rt9 owners, i know you can root android devices. i have done a few phones and tablets. this would allow more options and should allow for google play to get installed.
root means you'll be the administer of the device. no root means your a guest on the device with some write and read options. android is linux and being the admin in linux means root.

you always risk bricking the device when performing rooting procedures due to a glitch or wrong software. the best place to get started reading about rooting would be xda developers. you might not end up doing it, but you'll learn more about android.

also, the rt9 release date was way late because of software development due to googles strict requirements, who owns android os and fcc also with their strict requirements for any thing that uses radio signals or could cause interference in another device, so the android operating system was old by the time it was released. they had to use what ever was available at the time and build their app to go with it.

Thanks for the info I’ll have to check it out. It does come with aptoid I think it’s called and that is how marcum gets their apps on it, but it doesn’t seem too secure when trying to download other stuff. I tried to download google play through that and it downloaded but it crashes every time I try to open it.

For as much as they cost I figured I’d be able to utilize it like a tablet like they advertise them as. I ended up having to send the original in as it would turn on and then immediately say powering down and I missed half the ice season last year waiting for them to send me a new one.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #3 on: Dec 05, 2018, 10:46 AM »
Opening the system to other software brings the possibility of incompatibilities and the chance of crashes.  I would think they would have a way to "Factory Reset" it and get back to square one.

Offline JTrottaNY

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • NYS Licensed Guide
« Reply #4 on: Dec 05, 2018, 03:15 PM »
Annie, I recently picked one up for this season too. Have not been on the ice yet but have been playing with settings, moved my navionics card over and manually input all of my old GPS marks back into the new unit- there may have been an easier way but I acutally learned quite a bit doing it manually.

As far as apps, Aptoide is supposed to be just like google play- everyone I have spoken too strongly suggests only downloading apps that are certified/tested safe from virus'.

In terms of navionics you can buy a card if you don't already own one- check ebay for deals or watch sales at overtons. I picked up a Hotmaps Platinum card for $70 so that I have one in each of my gps units. Conversely you could DL the navionics app (through aptoide) and run the maps that way for about $10 but it will likely drain your battery a little quicker running the additional app.

NYS Licensed Guide

Offline Raptortrapper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 14, 2018, 09:30 AM »
Annie and Trotta-- have you guys been able to use your RT9 yet this year? Mine gets delivered today!!  Will be on ice with it Sunday.  Gotta work tomorrow.

Do either if you have the camera with it?  Did you use the stock battery, or did you upgrade to something else?  I'm thinking of getting the camera, so wondered what ya thought of it.  Also, most likely going to look for a strong battery to power this system. 

Annie-- sounds like you had use if your machine for the last half of last year.  Did your issues get resolved with the powering down, or is it still happening?  Do you like the unit since you got it back?

Trotta- what's the difference between the navionics card and the hotmaps card?  I live in Colorado, and am thinking about getting something for this area.  One better than the other with the RT9?
The next time you think you know it all, try telling someone else's dog what to do.

Offline JTrottaNY

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • NYS Licensed Guide
« Reply #6 on: Dec 14, 2018, 06:20 PM »
Raptor, I have very little time with the RT9 so far. It's still early here so I've been fishing with light weight gear, including my older 688ci unit.

I'm sure someone will jump all over me for making such a big generalization but as I understand it navionics+ replaced the hotmaps cards. Hotmaps were rationalized with a couple of extra features such as satellite imagery and a more advanced 3D view in some locations. Having both, in my opinion they work exactly the same in terms of displaying bottom contours- check ebay, I just picked up a new hotmaps platinum card for like $70-75 which includes a year of updates. A used card could likely be had for less.

I did upgrade my battery to an EO lithium, mostly for the weight reduction but also because that seemed to be the most common complaint. I do have a camera but haven't really had enough time to test the run time.

I'm sure well compare notes through out the season.

Has anyone found a cradle for these? Ide like to leave one attached to a ram mount on my handlebars for navigation purposes then be able to snap it back into the powered mount on the case once I get to my location.
NYS Licensed Guide

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Dec 14, 2018, 06:50 PM »

Has anyone found a cradle for these? Ide like to leave one attached to a ram mount on my handlebars for navigation purposes then be able to snap it back into the powered mount on the case once I get to my location.
https://shop.marcumtech.com/product-category/marcum/rt-9-parts/

Offline JTrottaNY

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • NYS Licensed Guide
« Reply #8 on: Dec 14, 2018, 08:09 PM »
That would probably work but I was hoping to find a just a standard cradle it would snap into without all the wiring connectors- Not planning to wire it in just mount it to the bars with a RAM mount during travel.
NYS Licensed Guide

Offline Raptortrapper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 16, 2018, 06:44 PM »
Finally put the RT9 to use today.  I don't know what the complaints are all about!  Mine worked flawlessly. I burned through the battery in about 5.5 hours cause I was messing with it the whole time, but MAN can this thing fish! Had it set up with graph on the left side, then zoom graph on the right for the last 5 feet at the bottom. It was awesome watching things come up and see it all in detail! On the left, it looked like one or two fish, bit then when I looked at the bottom zoom, there was so much activity we couldn't keep them all straight.  Ended up with 50 perch and a TON of fun!!  Pretty good way to break in the RT9!!! 
The next time you think you know it all, try telling someone else's dog what to do.

Offline Fishtrekker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 16, 2018, 06:58 PM »
A lot of it was previous to the updates. I would say throw a lithium battery on it and you will be set for a full day of fishing. The one thing that I found is always keeping the internal battery charged. Once I see that internal battery start to drop, I throw a new battery on to keep it charged.

Offline Raptortrapper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 16, 2018, 07:45 PM »
A lot of it was previous to the updates. I would say throw a lithium battery on it and you will be set for a full day of fishing. The one thing that I found is always keeping the internal battery charged. Once I see that internal battery start to drop, I throw a new battery on to keep it charged.
Ah!! Well the new updates sure seems to work fine!  I really like this thing.  Next will be adding a camera.  Gonna look for a large lithium first though.  Don't like the idea of multiple batteries.  I have a hard enough time remembering my keys!!

I'm not interested in putting a bunch of apps on here, or getting email through it, or yada yada yada.  I want the graph, the zoom, the GPS, and the mapping.  So far, it does what I want VERY well!!

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Dec 16, 2018, 08:39 PM »
what would you say you like more about it after using the lx7?

Offline Raptortrapper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 16, 2018, 09:34 PM »
I really like the dual and tripple screens!  But the ability to mark a point, and have it on my finder is a big plus to me.  And to have the GPS ability to get back to it.  I'm anxious to try the GPS tomorrow and see how close it gets me to the point I marked today.

I messed around with three screens, but it was too much going on.  The split screen with chart and chart zoom worked best for me.  Dialed it in to the last 5' of the water column, and I could see everything.  Like I was down there at 30' myself!  If anything bliped up higher in the water column, I saw it instantly on the left side of the screen, and could reel up after it, or let it go. 

I don't have a camera for mine, yet.  But it's on the short list.  I want to use the camera to see structure, bottom composition, etc.  Don't care to leave the camera down there when I'm actually fishing as I figure it will just get in the way when fighting fish.  I can't imagine the tangled mess that would create!

Saw this thing even has the ability to receive your email!! Don't know why I'd ever want that, but it's there if ya want it.  I didn't bother setting that up.  Getting email on my phone is good enough for me.  Can't wait till I retire -- the phone will be the first thing to go.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Dec 16, 2018, 11:51 PM »
so mainly the difference is gps?

Offline Raptortrapper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 17, 2018, 12:12 AM »
I don't remember a lot about the LX7.  Been two years since I last had one.  I don't remember using a split screen with it though.  Not saying it didn't have it, just don't remember using it.  I don't remember having any maps available with it either.  I haven't used a map card with the RT9 yet, but am looking in to that.  There are a lot of capabilities the RT9 has that the LX7 didn't, but I certainly don't think they are anything that I would require of a fish finder.  Getting emails, downloading apps, screenshots of your screen, memory cards, ports, etc... Those don't catch fish.

No way I would have got this unit if I had to pay full price for it.  But I got it for about the same as an LX7, so couldn't pass it up.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Dec 17, 2018, 12:26 AM »
i understand, no problem.
no maps or gps on the lx digital series is right. does have 6 charts and can display up to 4 at one time on lx digital series.

glad you like it. i would have went with it too being the same cost as the 7 if i didn't have a good digital unit already. that's cheaper than the 9. with the camera on marcums site the rt9 is the same cost as the lx9, but includes a camera.

Offline Raptortrapper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 17, 2018, 12:53 AM »
Yeah first order of business is a better battery.  Second, either the camera or the card, whichever I find a good deal on first.

So far, I'm happy.  And I can use it in a kayak next spring.  I think it will do just fine.

Offline sra61

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Dec 17, 2018, 11:11 AM »
My Lithium runs the unit on the camera all day. The old SLA wouldn't come close.

Offline Raptortrapper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Dec 17, 2018, 06:32 PM »
My Lithium runs the unit on the camera all day. The old SLA wouldn't come close.
Which lithium?

Offline sra61

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Dec 17, 2018, 09:19 PM »
Dakota 10Ah

Offline Raptortrapper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Dec 17, 2018, 10:07 PM »
Dakota 10Ah
Perfect!  That's what I'll get then.  If you can run the RT9 with a camera all day on that battery, it will be more than enough for what I need!  Thanks!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.