Author Topic: Keeping Bait Safe During Travel  (Read 770 times)

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Keeping Bait Safe During Travel
« on: Oct 17, 2018, 02:16 PM »
Tried looking for some threads on here with not much luck. Curious to what some of you guys use or do to keep bait safe out on the ice in terms of travel. Like in your sleds, on Snowmobiles, ATV's etc. Keep stuff from getting wet or bait bouncing around and dying. Share your thoughts and techniques!
Tight Lines!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Keeping Bait Safe During Travel
« Reply #1 on: Oct 17, 2018, 02:30 PM »
I put my bait bucket in a 5 gallon pail...stays pretty upright in my sled.Could add a closed cell foam hole cover atop that if you think water may slosh out and over gear ..then when you get to your spot just refill the bait bucket w/the sloshed out water EZPZ . You could also put the 5 gallon bucket in file crate for even more of a tip proof transport.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Oct 17, 2018, 02:37 PM »
I put my minnow bucket in a 5-6 gal bucket , far as sloshing put a plastic bag over the minnow bucket and snap the lid on

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 17, 2018, 03:26 PM »
I use a clam bait bucket, it has a screw on lid and comes in an insulated bag... I've had it flip over and get bounced around behind the wheeler in the Bayrunner and it has yet to leak on my gear. My hound however always seems to know when the lid is off... only times it spills.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #6 on: Oct 17, 2018, 07:23 PM »
Engel bait cooler.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #7 on: Oct 18, 2018, 04:29 AM »
I use Engel and / or 5 gallon bucket.
Problem with the Engel or screw on lids is when it’s freezing cold the lid freezes.
I was told to use a bit of vasoline in the Engel gasket to prevent lid from freezing shut.
I have a bucket lid opener for the 5 gallon bucket if that freezes. Or I put it next to the heater for a bit.
I put my day sucker in a zip lock bag w water in it and then use the bag for left over sucker meat or chum for the next day. 

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Oct 18, 2018, 07:21 AM »
I put my minnow bucket in a 5-6 gal bucket , far as sloshing put a plastic bag over the minnow bucket and snap the lid on

Exactly what I do. Grocery plastic bag snapped under the lid.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Oct 18, 2018, 11:33 AM »
Engel bait cooler.

This is what I use....I use plumbers greae (which is silicone grease) .on the gasket because it is non toxic.
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Oct 18, 2018, 01:01 PM »
thanks for the great ideas!
Tight Lines!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.