Author Topic: Best noodle Rod for panfish under $15.  (Read 6739 times)

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
Best noodle Rod for panfish under $15.
« on: Sep 18, 2018, 08:57 PM »
I can't decide which one of these is better. Like them all about the same for pannies. Am I missing any cheap under $15 panfish rods that are good?

HT Ice Blues
HT polar Lite
Shakespeare Noodle
Schooley Artic Blue

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Best noodle Rod for panfish under $15.
« Reply #1 on: Sep 19, 2018, 02:46 AM »
I'm guessing frabil might have a rod in that price range. Imo ranking those 4

4 - HT Ice Blues
2 - HT polar Lite
1 - Shakespeare Noodle
3 - Schooley Artic

I think the blanks are pretty similar for HT Ice Blues, Shakespeare Noodle, and Schooley Artic although I don't have them all to compare. The guides, guide setup/ spacing, and the cork handle puts the Shakespeare ahead for me.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #2 on: Sep 19, 2018, 04:43 AM »
48" HT Ice and 36" Schooley AB  for 3 reasons. 1) Price  2) Length and 3) I wanted rods that were between light and med. light action. so that there was a bit of stiffness in the tip and some oomph on the backend to them. Which is why I, personally, would not classify these as true noodle rods...I tipped them with Ice Strong titanium wires to accomplish this. With this set up I can detect the smallest of bites running 2.5 - 3mm Wolfram jigs (sticky sharp) and with a flick of the wrist the hook is set. Too much flexibility on a "true" noodle rod ; Whip - R - Rods come to mind. JMO
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #3 on: Sep 19, 2018, 08:26 AM »
The one Im about to make.  ;) ;). Under 15 if you dont take my time into account...trying to decide on the length right now....

Offline Just a random icefisherma

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Sep 19, 2018, 01:47 PM »
The 24 inch Frabill panfish popper combo is a really good rod, but a terrible reel. It's worth the price to me, just make sure the spring bobber isn't closed off. I can't compare it to other rods, but its sensitive enough to feel a 3 inch gill bite, and strong enough to handle a 2 pound trout. There is a combo for sale on Ebay for 20 bucks, but they will pop though from time to time for less.
"I love the freedoms we got in this country, I appreciate your freedom to burn your flag if you want to, but I really appreciate my right to bear arms so I can shoot you if you try to burn mine."
-Johnny Cash

Offline ejdelvo28

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Sep 19, 2018, 02:00 PM »
Shakespeare glass noodle.  It's essentially an HT ice blue with nicer components. I own 3 and will be purchasing more.  At around $13 they are an amazing rod.

Offline KinnickResident

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Sep 19, 2018, 04:24 PM »
The 24 inch Frabill panfish popper combo is a really good rod, but a terrible reel. It's worth the price to me, just make sure the spring bobber isn't closed off. I can't compare it to other rods, but its sensitive enough to feel a 3 inch gill bite, and strong enough to handle a 2 pound trout. There is a combo for sale on Ebay for 20 bucks, but they will pop though from time to time for less.
That's not a noodle rod. It's a standard rod with a spring bobber on it.

The point of a noodle rod is so you don't need a spring bobber.

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Sep 19, 2018, 04:44 PM »
I absolutely love the ice blues, so I'm going to have to grab a couple of the Shakespeare noodles.  Thanks for the post; sorry I have no suggestions to add!

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #8 on: Sep 19, 2018, 07:37 PM »

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #9 on: Sep 19, 2018, 08:00 PM »
Years ago I bought the Shakespeare Cajun Ice in UL model... awesome power noodle...it the rod I hoist an awesome Sturgeon under the ice that I couldn't make it fit through my Ice hole.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Sep 19, 2018, 08:31 PM »
Years ago I bought the Shakespeare Cajun Ice in UL model... awesome power noodle...it the rod I hoist an awesome Sturgeon under the ice that I couldn't make it fit through my Ice hole.

Had these as well Slipperybob in the 24" model. The most flexible rod I have ever used...loved the big guides on them. However, a little too flexible for me on gills but perfect for fishing smelt out of a shack...no bobber/indicator required.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #11 on: Sep 20, 2018, 02:50 AM »
Had these as well Slipperybob in the 24" model. The most flexible rod I have ever used...loved the big guides on them. However, a little too flexible for me on gills but perfect for fishing smelt out of a shack...no bobber/indicator required.

Definitely an awesome smelt fishing set-up.

Only second to my bait casting set-up.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Sep 20, 2018, 09:31 AM »
i have had 3 of those 4 mentioned, and if i can make a recommendation, spend 10 bucks more on the beaver dam noodle.  while not as great as a custom higher end noodle blank, its got plenty of backbone as opposed to those others where the bend in your rod is at the handle and the 2/3 of the rod is just straight down.    they obviously still all catch fish, but it made a world of difference for me. 

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Sep 20, 2018, 10:27 AM »
Agronomist, I have anHT ice blue noodle rod that I am not using. Lost 2” off the top so it is now a 28” rod. The tip is solid. I will send it to you. Just picked up the box from the post office

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Sep 20, 2018, 10:29 AM »
i have had 3 of those 4 mentioned, and if i can make a recommendation, spend 10 bucks more on the beaver dam noodle.  while not as great as a custom higher end noodle blank, its got plenty of backbone as opposed to those others where the bend in your rod is at the handle and the 2/3 of the rod is just straight down.    they obviously still all catch fish, but it made a world of difference for me. 

Yup. Night and day difference.

Offline Flint

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Sep 20, 2018, 11:05 AM »
Staying under 15 bucks the Shakespeare is hard to beat. Yea I have Thorne brothers PN and other nice rods.

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Sep 20, 2018, 05:24 PM »
I make some custom ice rods and I'll admit it's hard to justify spending all the time on one when there are several pretty good options for such a small price tag.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Sep 20, 2018, 05:34 PM »
I make some custom ice rods and I'll admit it's hard to justify spending all the time on one when there are several pretty good options for such a small price tag.
Just like tying flies, it’s not about saving money, it’s another hobby that goes with the passion.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Sep 20, 2018, 06:17 PM »

All that time?  I'm no expert but unless your doing a decorative wrap ice rods are pretty darn quick

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #19 on: Sep 20, 2018, 07:05 PM »

We all prefer different things. IMO the way these cheap noodle rods work on panfish is what a person wants. With the light 1-3lb test line I want that entire Rod blank to bend like it does. The reasoning behind it is the blank keeps the light line taunt so the fish can't throw the lure and get away when I'm slowly reeling it in..........

If I ordered the rods above I go.

#1- HT polar lite.
Reason is that it has a faster tip to a bit more back bone, but mainly because the cork handle has a nice reel seat and a tiny hook keeper on it.

#2 - Schooley artic blue/HT ice Blues. A tie.
These two cam in second for me mainly because of the plastic reel holders on them. No tape required and easy to put on or take off the reels.

#3 - Shakespeare noodle Rod.
While I like the cork handle, you have to tape on the reel....

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #20 on: Sep 22, 2018, 11:41 PM »
Agronomist, I have anHT ice blue noodle rod that I am not using. Lost 2” off the top so it is now a 28” rod. The tip is solid. I will send it to you. Just picked up the box from the post office

Thanks man. I heated the guide and replaced it with a new tip top. It looks a tad big in the pic due to the angle of the pic., but worked well. Rod is a nice action for panfish yet. Should make a good crappie rod.

I was shooting some more plastics today. However, I didn’t get many made. I had a full injector and went to push down the knob to fill a mold......I must have been off the hole.......it blew plastic all over the wall, microwave, stove and back splash......took me over and hour to get it cleaned up before the wife came home. Lol

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Sep 23, 2018, 09:20 PM »
I got a 13 fishing tickle stick last year and I can say that 9/10 times I grab my Shakespeare 28" noodle that I found in a clearance bucket for $8. I found a 24" one towards the end of the season last year and love it! Cannot beat them for the money

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #22 on: Sep 23, 2018, 09:23 PM »
I got a 13 fishing tickle stick last year and I can say that 9/10 times I grab my Shakespeare 28" noodle that I found in a clearance bucket for $8. I found a 24" one towards the end of the season last year and love it! Cannot beat them for the money

Yep. I got two 24in ice blues paired with a No. 8 tackle company code blue reel. Love them for panfish.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Sep 24, 2018, 06:31 PM »
Thanks man. I heated the guide and replaced it with a new tip top. It looks a tad big in the pic due to the angle of the pic., but worked well. Rod is a nice action for panfish yet. Should make a good crappie rod.

I was shooting some more plastics today. However, I didn’t get many made. I had a full injector and went to push down the knob to fill a mold......I must have been off the hole.......it blew plastic all over the wall, microwave, stove and back splash......took me over and hour to get it cleaned up before the wife came home. Lol

holy crap! From the sounds of it, it must have been one hell of a mess! any pics? LOL! I cook fish in the kitchen and I get yelled at!

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #24 on: Sep 24, 2018, 07:22 PM »
holy crap! From the sounds of it, it must have been one hell of a mess! any pics? LOL! I cook fish in the kitchen and I get yelled at!

Same here on cooking fish.....no pics of the mess didn't want any evidence.

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Sep 24, 2018, 07:55 PM »
Same here on cooking fish.....no pics of the mess didn't want any evidence.

You sound like a wise man to me!

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #26 on: Sep 24, 2018, 08:16 PM »
Just picked up a couple of  36" Schooley Arctic Ice rods...tipped them with Ice Strong indicators ( .014 and .016 ). Tied on a 3mm and 4mm Wolfram (Fiska). In a word...impressed.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Sep 25, 2018, 02:41 PM »
We all prefer different things. IMO the way these cheap noodle rods work on panfish is what a person wants. With the light 1-3lb test line I want that entire Rod blank to bend like it does. The reasoning behind it is the blank keeps the light line taunt so the fish can't throw the lure and get away when I'm slowly reeling it in..........

but the entire rod doesn't bend on any of them.  I still have the 3 in a bucket and put a line on them to make sure i wasn't mistaken.  the  last 1/3 of the rod to the tip isn't bent its pointed straight down on any of them.   and a stiffer backbone doesn't cause line to be less taught at all.  the point of a noodle rod is for the tip to act as an indicator without the need for a spring bobber.  Most of the cheaper noodles do not allow this to truly happen.  i've missed and seen other guys who swear by them miss tons of fish on them. i also know guys that can probably outfish me with their.  nothing is ever a guarantee.

i put a beaver dam noodle that was 23 bucks into the hands fo my brother and his father in law who had ice blues and shakespeare noodles due to them sayign on the side they are noodles and they know thats what i use for panfishing, and were about to go back to spring bobbers.  Now they both love the beaver dam because it gives them a much better indication of a strike. 

trust me i'm about as cheap as they come.  i paid 65 bucks for a custom rod and it was the most painful purchase i've made ice fishing because i'm so cheap. 

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Sep 25, 2018, 03:26 PM »
but the entire rod doesn't bend on any of them.  I still have the 3 in a bucket and put a line on them to make sure i wasn't mistaken.  the  last 1/3 of the rod to the tip isn't bent its pointed straight down on any of them.   and a stiffer backbone doesn't cause line to be less taught at all.  the point of a noodle rod is for the tip to act as an indicator without the need for a spring bobber.  Most of the cheaper noodles do not allow this to truly happen.  i've missed and seen other guys who swear by them miss tons of fish on them. i also know guys that can probably outfish me with their.  nothing is ever a guarantee.

i put a beaver dam noodle that was 23 bucks into the hands fo my brother and his father in law who had ice blues and shakespeare noodles due to them sayign on the side they are noodles and they know thats what i use for panfishing, and were about to go back to spring bobbers.  Now they both love the beaver dam because it gives them a much better indication of a strike. 

trust me i'm about as cheap as they come.  i paid 65 bucks for a custom rod and it was the most painful purchase i've made ice fishing because i'm so cheap. 

Lol I've made the argument before, the best evidence I've seen is the double up iceassin did. 
Just picked up a couple of  36" Schooley Arctic Ice rods...tipped them with Ice Strong indicators ( .014 and .016 ). Tied on a 3mm and 4mm Wolfram (Fiska). In a word...impressed.
Couldn't see anyone doing this to the beaver dam noodle. We all do have different preferences tho or we wouldn't have a reason to argue about it

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #29 on: Sep 25, 2018, 03:45 PM »
Lol I've made the argument before, the best evidence I've seen is the double up iceassin did.  Couldn't see anyone doing this to the beaver dam noodle. We all do have different preferences tho or we wouldn't have a reason to argue about it

Yep preferences. I hate spring bobbers and won't use them. Find it hard to believe many do. But to each is their own. Some guys like fat chicks.....never been one of those either.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.