Author Topic: Who takes their pups with them?  (Read 2592 times)

Offline theangling1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Who takes their pups with them?
« on: Dec 10, 2017, 09:45 PM »
Wondering how many take their pups with them and for those who do what do you do to enable them to keep warm? In the past I fished strictly weekends and only took my other
Pup once, he had a blast until he came running across the lake, couldn’t stop and slid into an auger blade with his paw, luckily it wasn’t serious.... lesson learned and I never leave an auger without the cover on it anymore.... shouldn’t have before and felt terrible he got cut.... anywho... anyone take their pups?

Offline Cooey22

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Who takes their pups with them?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10, 2017, 10:02 PM »
Mine comes with me
She loves just running and having a great time
She comes in the tent with me to warm up sometimes but
mostly just runs lots

Offline greenbulldog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 10, 2017, 10:09 PM »
Mine likes to run around a lot too, the reason I dont bring him.  Perhaps if I had a permy, but out of a portable no.  Depends on the dog I think.  I will say I get annoyed when someones dog comes over and lifts a leg on my stuff or decides my wooden handled scooper looks like a fetch stick, both of which has happened.

Offline minnowdrowner

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • T-bar!!!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 10, 2017, 10:14 PM »
Every time when in the ice castle, don't bring him early ice or when I'm in the portable... 110 lb lab doesn't do too great in a flipover and not fair to have him out on the ice for too many hours with no convenient way to warm up. Buddies think it's funny because he'll sit on laps around the table when playing dice trying to bumb whatever scraps he can get. Always keep an eye out, very aggravating having a random dog show up rummaging through your stuff
How many times do I gotta go through holes before I watch where I'm going? I am an amateur fisherman, but an all star minnow drowner!

Offline theangling1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 10, 2017, 10:25 PM »
Thanks for the replies, yeah, this one is only 8 months and still very curious.... although I don’t think she’d chew on anyone’s gear.... understand the point though as I’d be upset if someone else’s dog did that to my stuff...
around here, all the years I’ve been ice fishing I can’t temember more than a handful of time if even seeing someone with their dog on the ice and then it’s normally just for a walk... I have a flip over and wondering if she’d lay on a mat in the tub when she got cold.... recently had to move (farther from my spots) and it’s now 45-60 min drive for me ... would love to be able to take her, but don’t want her to be cold and miserable not have to leave early due to that fact....

Offline greenbulldog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 10, 2017, 10:37 PM »
The most annoying dogs when I have been out on the lake are usually owned by a lakeshore property owner.  When I think on it, I dont think Ive ever been bothered by a dog owned by somebody that is out fishing.

Offline dunnhuntin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 10, 2017, 10:57 PM »
I have taken my golden shepherd mix out a few times. She has a blast on the ice and sleeps the whole drive home. We bring a 50' lead on an ice anchor for when there are other anglers nearby, a blanket to lay down off the ice and a bowl of food. Always be careful to cover your auger blades and keep jig boxes closed with a dog around.

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 11, 2017, 02:58 AM »
The most annoying dogs when I have been out on the lake are usually owned by a lakeshore property owner.  When I think on it, I dont think Ive ever been bothered by a dog owned by somebody that is out fishing.

Lucky you. I’ve had dogs whiz on my portable, drag stuff of mine off, steal fish, and the best was when one took a dump on a tip up. The owners were oblivious and played the “my dog won’t do that” card.

I grabbed my shovel, scooped the crap up and deposited it in the guy’s truck who owned the crapper. Words were exchanged. If you’re going to bring your dog on the ice make sure it’s well behaved and clean up after it. You bring a bag along to pick up their crap when you take him/her for a walk, do the same on the ice.

I’m a dog guy, I love dogs, but have little to no use for the ones left to roam around on the ice. In my opinion there are no bad dogs, just bad dog owners.

Offline Nevsky

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 11, 2017, 04:38 AM »
Hate to be negative,but I have found that owners generally think their dogs are better behaved than those around them.  Having a lead on them might defeat the purpose,but its a good idea

Offline timr35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 11, 2017, 05:53 AM »
My dog loves fishing, one of my best fishing partners!
I strongly agree, be responsible for your dog. and clean up after them.

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Carpeted boat + rough water = RUGBURN
« Reply #10 on: Dec 11, 2017, 06:29 AM »
 Our dog loves to stare down the hole waiting for the next fish. No running around, there are fish to be had!

If fishing close to home I go out solo in the morning, then the wife and dog come out a little later for a few hour visit. That's plenty enough for pet and masters.

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 11, 2017, 06:33 AM »
I have heard of people using their dog as a living fish finder to know where to drill. Don't know how true this is but would kind of be pretty cool to see.
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline BH2

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Dont wish your life away!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 11, 2017, 06:44 AM »
My hound is always with in my permy. She even has her own bed! If shes outside the shack she's on a leash and always cleaned up after!

As you can tell by the Pic she doesn't bother anyone!!

Chute82

« Reply #13 on: Dec 11, 2017, 06:46 AM »
Would love to bring my dog but I worry to much about auger blades and hooks.. last thing I need is a vet bill ... Last time I took my dog fly fishing a big storm rolled in with high winds, walking back to the truck a porcupine fell out of a tree right next to my dog and I.  My retriever had a great time, the porcupine and I did not.. not only was I fighting my dog to quit rolling on the porcupine but also fighting the porcupine in a huge rain storm..  sat in a rainstorm removing quills from my dogs face, neck, back, and mouth...  dog was fine after removing quills...now I only take my dog to local ponds to bank fish near the house...

Offline Oscoda Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Mountains are Blue
« Reply #14 on: Dec 11, 2017, 07:57 AM »
Yup, our little hound is with us as much as possible.

-Kyle

"Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers."    -Herbert Hoover

Offline walpy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 11, 2017, 09:56 AM »
Here’s my little guys first trip - 11 or 12 weeks old. Brought him to a small derby. Had foam pads for him. He was the star of the show.

Offline Oscoda Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Mountains are Blue
« Reply #16 on: Dec 11, 2017, 10:02 AM »
Something else that I found helped too was these "Paw Bootys" ( Ultra Paws Durable Dog Boots - the ones we got her ). Really does a great job stopping snow from packing between her "toes". Plus it is hysterical when they aren't used to them yet.

-Kyle

"Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers."    -Herbert Hoover

Offline jabers69

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #17 on: Dec 11, 2017, 10:18 AM »
My dog loves going out with  me   , I  take a foam mat for him lay on but most of the time he just runs around and  check  the tip  ups

hook and cook

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 11, 2017, 10:29 AM »
when i fish farm ponds and stuff, i bring our 3 yr old lab.  she loves it.  i have some foam pads that she can lay on when she's done.  i don't take her to public bodies of water because while she's well behaved, i know that its annoying for some people.

most dogs people have out on the ice are fine, there are a few dimwits who let their untrained god awful dog just run amok. 

Offline williev18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 11, 2017, 11:15 AM »
My lab Lily allways goes with me, she loves to play ball on the ice between flags and is a big help pulling the old Bay Runner. When she is cold she will curl up on the seat in the Bay Runner, or i bring her own chair in the hub.

http://cubeupload.com/im/williev18/IMG0021.jpg

Offline jerryfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 11, 2017, 11:26 AM »
Leave dog at home. I love dogs, but hate other people's dogs running around and bothering me when I am fishing. JMHO.

Offline aacosta

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Dec 11, 2017, 11:31 AM »
Bring mine when just putting tipups out since I live on the lake we just head in when he's cold

Offline walleyemaverick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 11, 2017, 11:43 AM »
Ive taken my springer out a few times last year as a pup, and as you can imagine he was quite the handful, on the first trip he hooked himself on the top of the head, i had to push the hook through a little bit to cut the barb and free him, im not gonna lie it was a little funny watching him make a mad dash across the ice followed by a fishing rod 5 feet behind him. I dont take him if i know im going to a popular area because i know he will just bug other people but if im checking out a random new spot he comes along.

Hes a much better dog while fishing from the boat, only broke 2 rods this year, but as a true bird dog he likes staring down all the wildlife, even though hes afraid of water lol

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 11, 2017, 11:51 AM »
Leave dog at home. I love dogs, but hate other people's dogs running around and bothering me when I am fishing. JMHO.

This. Leave your dogs at home. I’m not the jerk when you’re dog gets in my stuff and I have no problem handling it myself.... especially considering the owners are usually 100 yards away paying absolutely zero attention to their dogs.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline smitty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 11, 2017, 11:54 AM »
I take my two Labs on our ice fishing trips to Maine. They simple love it up there so much freedom and lots of other dogs to play with.

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Dec 11, 2017, 11:57 AM »
Bring a piece of carpet for the dog as the ice will freeze their paws.

Offline wallyworld

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Dec 11, 2017, 12:20 PM »
Our lab always went with us on the ice   :)  doggie boots and a neoprene coat for those brutally cold, squeaky snow mornings and a foam pad with a waterproof bottom for nap time  ;)  and a leash on standby in case she forgot where she belonged, sometimes the rattle of a chip bag was too hard for her to resist  :whistle:  :woot:

Offline Nightbird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 11, 2017, 12:22 PM »
Another safety tip ( learned the hard way). Deadbait with hooks are frequently left hanging from rods outside shacks, or just left there with hooks in for future use. I've also found them on the ice where some idiot has cut off a damaged leader and discarded it with hook and bait attached. Very attractive and damaging to roaming dogs.

Tinker

« Reply #28 on: Dec 11, 2017, 01:50 PM »
I'll add another safety issue to consider: I do not cover my auger because your dog is around.  Happened my first time out this year, thought I was all alone but started to hear voices.  Looked out the shack to see 2 guys with 2 dogs fishing a ways away. One dog was roaming towards me, I looked at my auger and thought to heck with it, it's not my problem if you chose to let your dogs run.  These particular dogs appeared to be very well behaved and never did make it over to visit me.   

Offline Osage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it ain't my business,It ain't my business !!!
« Reply #29 on: Dec 11, 2017, 01:57 PM »
I have a new red heeler pup this year,Dirty Dingus is  10 months old currently.I started taking Dingus with me in the kayak when he was 4 months old,he is a natural,in the kayak,laying in the front on a mat.I will take him on the ice with me this season,he is really good about keeping himself between me and anyone getting too close............perfe ct for those days I wish to fish alone. ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.