Author Topic: Recommendation for economical Ice Shanty.....  (Read 1253 times)

Offline sportsman4life

• IceShanty Rookie
Recommendation for economical Ice Shanty.....
« on: Dec 12, 2017, 05:07 PM »
Looking for economical choices of Ice Shanty's for someone new to the ice.  Been fishing whole life now moving on to the ice to start a new adventure.

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Recommendation for economical Ice Shanty.....
« Reply #1 on: Dec 12, 2017, 05:24 PM »
Many choices. Here is one to review....Shappell FX 100.

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=349058.0
May ol man winter blow a cool breeze up your shorts!

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 12, 2017, 05:30 PM »
Welcome to the Ice Shanty!  There are lots of inexpensive choices in both hub and flip styles.  I try to start the ball rolling for you by suggesting the non-insulated Shappell FX100 flip shelter which can purchased for less than $200 when on sale sometimes.  Spend some time reading and searching posts here to try and narrow down what you think you might be looking for.  We’ll be able to help you better when you have a better idea of what you want!

DN
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline icefish1960

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 12, 2017, 06:00 PM »
Lots to think about, look at how heavy it is, how many people will fish out of it? How cold are your winters?  (insulated or uninsulated) How will you pull it? loading and unloading from your vehicle. ease of set up, lots to consider, lots of good info here, good luck

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 12, 2017, 11:30 PM »
Shappell makes some pretty good stuff. They make hub style, flip over, and the ancient suitcase style shelters (very small and cramped if you have any amount of legs or big feet). I own a Shappell WideHouse 5500 going on it’s 6th season and it’s still like new. Cost $180 out the door.

The best thing you could do is get to an outdoors store that has a bunch set up of different styles and brands and just check them out. YouTube is also your friend here. Do a little web browsing and find some models you like and then YouTube search those models for reviews. For $200 you actually do have some decent options.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline greenbulldog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 13, 2017, 02:48 AM »
Look at craigslist, letgo app, etc.  There are always lots of people upgrading to the newest stuff available or finding out they dont like ice fishing as much as they thought and selling them cheap.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #6 on: Dec 13, 2017, 06:43 AM »
You can also build one pretty cheap if you have a way to haul it. A few 2x4 ‘s and a cheap tarp and a staple gun. Better than cheap tarp is roll of roofing tar paper, people have been using for decades.

Offline theangling1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 13, 2017, 07:18 AM »
Shappell FX100 is a nice shanty, heavy duty tub, good fabric and very light making loading and unloading by yourself easy. I bought a stadium seat and mounted to the bench and just setting in it in the garage it seems very comfortable

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I can't feel my toes...
« Reply #8 on: Dec 13, 2017, 07:31 AM »
I've been ice fishing for over 40 years now and one of my all-time best ice fishing purchases was an Eskimo QuickFlip 1 shelter.  I love it.  I also have an inexpensive suitcase-style shelter for when I need room for another person or when I'll be in one place all day and would like a roomier, heated shelter to warm up in.

Tight lines,
Bob

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #9 on: Dec 13, 2017, 07:52 AM »
you mite already have one!  pop up yard awning + some tarps and bungies = shanty.  ;D

for a cheap permi, i have seen 2x4s frozen in the ice and tarped off.  looked like it worked pretty good.  some are freekin huge too. lol i bet i seen one that was 30ft one time. check regs in your state on this though!
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 13, 2017, 08:52 AM »
I have a Frabill Recon 100. It's light weight (40#) makes it easy to load in and out of my vehicle. Mine is an older model and the seat (a three legged folding chair) is a little herky/ jerky, but I understand the newer ones comes with a padded trunk seat. They can be had for around $200, give or take.

Offline iceman383

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 13, 2017, 09:52 AM »
Clam big foot lots room insulated keeps heat blocks the wind

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Dec 13, 2017, 10:07 AM »
Are you looking for a pop up or a flip and how big? 

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Dec 13, 2017, 10:14 AM »
Are you looking for a pop up or a flip and how big?

Hubs can be cheaper and usually ship free ...a lot of good deals on flip overs get pricey with shipping

Do you have a good ice fishing suit ...warm cuts wind ...a good suit is a better first purchase than a shelter ...most days you will be running and gunning ....lots of good deals can be had on suits and a floating option is always a prudent choice.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline stout93

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 13, 2017, 11:03 AM »
I would get a flip over a pop up hub.

My first shack was a pop up hub and it was a complete PIA setting it up and taking it down, and trying to put it back in the bag. Add the fact that you have to stake it down so it doesn't blow away (screwing stakes into the ice), it just adds to the time and effort of setting it up. I usually would be sweating a bit after finally getting it all setup. And then nothing worse when you're done for the day/night, turning off your heater and taking another 5-10 minutes of taking it all down in the cold..

I finally got a Shappell FX100 this year. Can't wait to try it out.  Pull it out onto the ice, drill my holes and flip it down. I'll be fishing at least 5-7 minutes quicker and with a LOT less effort. When I'm done, just flip it up, fill up the tub with gear and off to my truck

Offline jtc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 13, 2017, 11:20 AM »
Good luck. I have three now, going to purchase a fourth tonight off of Craig’s list.  I have a suit case that I use for when I can drive out (clam5600), a pop up style I purchased for a back up when my daughter goes, and two (after tonight) pull over style. I almost always use the pullover.  My current pullover does not have a door (thus tonight’s purchase). A door is real ice when it is cold and windy.
The world would be better if we all took a 6 month fishing trip twice a year.

Offline jtc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 13, 2017, 12:41 PM »
Good luck. I have three now, going to purchase a fourth tonight off of Craig’s list.  I have a suit case that I use for when I can drive out (clam5600), a pop up style I purchased for a back up when my daughter goes, and two (after tonight) pull over style. I almost always use the pullover.  My current pullover does not have a door (thus tonight’s purchase). A door is real ice when it is cold and windy.
The world would be better if we all took a 6 month fishing trip twice a year.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.