The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Perch lures?  (Read 6120 times)

Offline DucksAndDogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
Perch lures?
« on: Dec 09, 2017, 08:10 PM »
I’ve never fished perch through the ice before and, to be honest, most of the ones I’ve ever caught were incidental growing up in North Carolina.

I live near Canyon Ferry and will spend a lot of time fishing near the silos.  Taking the wife and kids along with me, I want to get them hooked on ice fishing and I think being over a decent perch bite is the best way to go.

That said, what are you guys seeing them hit?  I’ve stocked up on various jigs and spoons and will start tying some flies here in the near future.  I just want to go out there with a half decent chance of catching some perch so the wife and kids are having a good time.  If they have fun, it means I get to fish more!

Thanks!!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Perch lures?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 09, 2017, 08:20 PM »
Tip downs with minnows are great for locating them... big perch love minnows ...as far as lures ...I suggest matching the forage that is present/preferred by the perch in your lake area...fish close or on bottom . When using your flasher look for the slightest flickers on the bottom ...even better in zoom mode..these are perch hugging bottom.   
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Turbo jig2000

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 2017, 09:26 PM »
hardwater diehard that's some good advice but we can only use dead minnows on Canyon Ferry.

Offline nocod

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 09, 2017, 09:32 PM »
Paddle bug, :)

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 10, 2017, 08:03 AM »
To be honest canyon ferry is one of the most difficult perch fisheries around. It holds good fish and decent numbers, however it is a vast wasteland and the fish roam. Finding concentrations necessary to keep the wife and kids interested will be a long shot at best. The guys that do good on canyon ferry consistently work for the fish they catch and that style definitely wouldn't interest my wife or kid the way it does me. With that being said, if my goal was just hitting the hard water and getting good action I would strongly recommend you pursue rainbow trout on canyon ferry. It is chock full of them and you can usually count on a limit or two every morning from first light till about 10 or 11. These short trips dont tend to burn out the less interested tag alongs and tbe trout are huge so thats a bonus. For that setup I like small jigs with good hooks baited with pieces of nightcrawler set in less than 10 feet of water. I would drill a line of 6 holes each about 10 feet apart and set your rods in holders at various depths. Sit one person on each end of the line and wear ice cleats since your gonna be running to bouncing rods all morning!

Offline DucksAndDogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 10, 2017, 08:49 AM »
To be honest canyon ferry is one of the most difficult perch fisheries around. It holds good fish and decent numbers, however it is a vast wasteland and the fish roam. Finding concentrations necessary to keep the wife and kids interested will be a long shot at best. The guys that do good on canyon ferry consistently work for the fish they catch and that style definitely wouldn't interest my wife or kid the way it does me. With that being said, if my goal was just hitting the hard water and getting good action I would strongly recommend you pursue rainbow trout on canyon ferry. It is chock full of them and you can usually count on a limit or two every morning from first light till about 10 or 11. These short trips dont tend to burn out the less interested tag alongs and tbe trout are huge so thats a bonus. For that setup I like small jigs with good hooks baited with pieces of nightcrawler set in less than 10 feet of water. I would drill a line of 6 holes each about 10 feet apart and set your rods in holders at various depths. Sit one person on each end of the line and wear ice cleats since your gonna be running to bouncing rods all morning!

Wow, thanks for the information.  I just assumed, given the big perch derby, that the perch fishing would be a lot better out there.  I really appreciate the advice and we’ll definitely give that a whirl.  Maybe a few trips to Hauser and Holter are in order for the perch, then.  Like I said, my main goal is decent action to keep them interested.  As you all know, the more fun it is for them, the more fun it is for me!

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 10, 2017, 08:58 AM »
I've seen days where they would only look at the tiniest jigs with half a waxy..

But most days, three regular red hooks with a shiner on each one will catch more than any jig.. Seems when you have three minnows, it triggers them into feeding time...

<°)))>{

Offline Houdy66

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep Calm and Fish On!!!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 10, 2017, 09:09 AM »
I've seen days where they would only look at the tiniest jigs with half a waxy..

But most days, three regular red hooks with a shiner on each one will catch more than any jig.. Seems when you have three minnows, it triggers them into feeding time...

<°)))>{

If you read the whole thread, you would realize that he is asking about a specific lake here in Montana. It is illegal for us to use more than two hooks per line, and it is illegal to use live minnows on the lake in question. Please be careful when making suggestions, because somebody who doesn't know the regulations as well may think that what you suggest is legal here and get in a lot of trouble based on what they read online.
To jig or not to jig... That is the question.

Offline DucksAndDogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 10, 2017, 09:15 AM »
If you read the whole thread, you would realize that he is asking about a specific lake here in Montana. It is illegal for us to use more than two hooks per line, and it is illegal to use live minnows on the lake in question. Please be careful when making suggestions, because somebody who doesn't know the regulations as well may think that what you suggest is legal here and get in a lot of trouble based on what they read online.

Thanks for pointing that out.  I do have a question about the two hooks and I have already called and spoken to the new game warden in Broadwater County about it; but, he seemed a little unsure so I figure I'll ask you guys for more information.

I asked him if treble hooks were specifically prohibited since they have three hooks.  He told me that a treble hook counts as one hook and so I could use, say, a Rippin' Rap and be okay with two treble hooks on that lure.  However, something like a Jigging Rap, I'd have to cut one of the hooks off of either the front or back to make it legal.  Now, this is straight out of a game warden's mouth; however, it still seemed like there could be some interpretation of the regulation, as written, so I'm curious what you guys think.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 10, 2017, 09:26 AM »

Sorry about that, I just noticed this is the Montana board, I saw perch lures on the unread threads and got to rambling...

Another popular option across the ice belt for perch is a Hali Jig, tipped with a waxy.. Pound the bottom, pick up and pause, bang!

<°)))>{

Offline Houdy66

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 10, 2017, 09:29 AM »
I have always thought that a lure counts as one hook, not each hook on the lure. So like in open water, a large F-13 Rapala that has three treble hooks on it counts as one hook. I believe I was told that years ago by a different game warden. It might be one of those things that is left to interpretation by each individual warden, and it depends on who you run into and how their mood is that day.

Pm me the name of the warden you talked to. One of my old high school buddies just became a warden in Townsend a little over a year ago. If it was him I'll have to give him a call to clear it up.

Offline DucksAndDogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 10, 2017, 09:32 AM »
I have always thought that a lure counts as one hook, not each hook on the lure. So like in open water, a large F-13 Rapala that has three treble hooks on it counts as one hook. I believe I was told that years ago by a different game warden. It might be one of those things that is left to interpretation by each individual warden, and it depends on who you run into and how their mood is that day.

Pm me the name of the warden you talked to. One of my old high school buddies just became a warden in Townsend a little over a year ago. If it was him I'll have to give him a call to clear it up.

I'm sure that was him.  Big guy.  Played football for a while.  We haven't had a warden out here for some time and he's the guy who just started, so it's gotta be the same guy.  Great guy, too.  Kids in 4H, really helpful, answers his phone whenever I call, etc.

I'd love some clarity on that, because I've cut off hooks on a lot of my Jigging Raps and would like to know that's unnecessary in the future!

Offline Jim F

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 10, 2017, 10:16 AM »
That warden is being a  p r i c k.  One multi-hook lure, is one hook.
The dude needs a swirly in an icehole  ;D
Get bit!

Offline DucksAndDogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 10, 2017, 10:19 AM »
Well there's certainly some ambiguity in the regulations.  Above all, I just want to make sure the way I'm fishing can't be misinterpreted as illegal.  I'd rather have crystal clear direction so we don't have THAT situation happen out on the ice.

Offline Houdy66

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 10, 2017, 10:33 AM »
That warden is being a  p r i c k.  One multi-hook lure, is one hook.
The dude needs a swirly in an icehole  ;D

I know him personally, and he is definitely not a p r i c k. Like stated above, he's a great guy. I'll let you try and give him a swirly haha he's a big guy. Played D1 offensive line

Offline DucksAndDogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 10, 2017, 10:35 AM »
I know him personally, and he is definitely not a p r i c k. Like stated above, he's a great guy. I'll let you try and give him a swirly haha he's a big guy. Played D1 offensive line

Yep, my interpretation of the phone call was that he was fairly new to the job, as well, and even admitted he'd have to look into a few things and get back to me.  Seemed like a really great guy on the phone so I don't want to sound like I'm making him out to be a bad dude.  He was really nice and polite and said he'd dig a bit deeper on the things he wasn't clear about.

Honestly, he seemed like the type of guy you'd invite into your shack to fish alongside of you. 

Offline Houdy66

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 10, 2017, 10:45 AM »
Yep, my interpretation of the phone call was that he was fairly new to the job, as well, and even admitted he'd have to look into a few things and get back to me.  Seemed like a really great guy on the phone so I don't want to sound like I'm making him out to be a bad dude.  He was really nice and polite and said he'd dig a bit deeper on the things he wasn't clear about.

Honestly, he seemed like the type of guy you'd invite into your shack to fish alongside of you.

That is exactly right! You weren't making him out to sound bad at all. You've definitely got the right idea of the guy.

Offline BK_Fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 10, 2017, 12:00 PM »
The hardest part about Canyon Ferry is finding the perch on a given day, that being said, I have done well a few times out there and I would advise you to find structure on the water. Some of my best fishing was is in the 35-40ft range and around some sunken trees. FWP used to helicopter drop old Christmas trees into Canyon Ferry  to provide perch habitat. Find some of those trees and and you have a good starting place. I have caught them on jigging raps, forage minnows, buck shots, even on a chunk of dead herring one day. The bottom line is that it's a massive body of water and your real challenge is simply going to be finding the fish.

Offline Houdy66

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 10, 2017, 12:40 PM »
I just got a response from my warden friend and he said that a lure with multiple hooks is considered one hook.

Offline DucksAndDogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 10, 2017, 12:45 PM »
I just got a response from my warden friend and he said that a lure with multiple hooks is considered one hook.

I’m gonna send him an invoice for these Jigging raps!

Seriously, though, I’m not too worried about it, I only cut off hooks from 2-3 lures, not the end of the world.  I’m sure they’ll still work just fine!

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 10, 2017, 12:54 PM »
Just to play devils advocate.....what about umrella rigs?

Offline thepikepolice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Dec 10, 2017, 01:03 PM »
Technically multiple lures, right? ???

Offline Houdy66

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 10, 2017, 01:22 PM »
I do know that you can use umbrella rigs as long as there are only two hooks on them. So the rest of the baits on the rig are just attractors, or "dummy baits".

Offline Jim F

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Dec 10, 2017, 10:35 PM »
Told ya :P
Umbrella rigs are multiple lures ganged together, hence the difference.
He very well be a nice guy. That said, some of the wardens here in the NW are buttholes looking to make a name for themselves.
Remember Brian Somers?
Has anyone ever seen one on the ice? We saw 1, 1 time, on Beaver Lake years ago.
I honestly wish they would get out of their trucks more often and check licenses and make the slobs pick up after themselves
Get bit!

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 10, 2017, 11:39 PM »
hardwater diehard that's some good advice but we can only use dead minnows on Canyon Ferry.

Jig with a minnow on it head cut off with a small stinger hook in it like size 14 to 20 watch the flasher fish will hug bottom so be a foot off bottom to 6 inches as they move up to hit it move it a little higher so it teases them and they follow and wiggle it then stop and dead stick it give it a couple secounds they will be there and hit it.. always works for me if you see red lines on your screen aginst bottom  that might be fish hugging bottom..

Offline TCubed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Columbia Falls, MT
« Reply #25 on: Dec 11, 2017, 08:47 AM »
Told ya :P
Umbrella rigs are multiple lures ganged together, hence the difference.
He very well be a nice guy. That said, some of the wardens here in the NW are buttholes looking to make a name for themselves.
Remember Brian Somers?
Has anyone ever seen one on the ice? We saw 1, 1 time, on Beaver Lake years ago.
I honestly wish they would get out of their trucks more often and check licenses and make the slobs pick up after themselves

Jim I have been checked on several lakes in R1, its funny because its usually the first Saturday in March!!! ;D ;D ;D

Nick

Offline Jim F

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Dec 11, 2017, 09:47 AM »
Jim I have been checked on several lakes in R1, its funny because its usually the first Saturday in March!!! ;D ;D ;D

Nick
Makin' sure you have a new license  ;D

We got pulled over once up by Stryker opening day of hunting season."
Warden ask to see a valid hunting tag.
He didn't have much to say when we handed him antelope tags, that where indeed, valid  :thumbsup: :woot: :thumbsup:
Get bit!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Jdoub

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 13, 2017, 09:31 PM »
Welcome! I don't fish Canyon Ferry much in winter due to not having transportation on the ice yet.
Most people head north from Silos to an area called Hole in the Wall ( general area about 1-2 miles North). Many will fish along the pressure ridge that typically develops in about 30-40' of water.
Personally, I really like hall jigs tipped with maggots, perch eyes, or sometimes a minnow head (pre-packaged shiners from the store).
Lots of perch in Canyon Ferry. It's just big and a lot is expansive flats. So, they roam in schools.

Offline whiptail

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 14, 2017, 05:41 AM »
I’ve never fished perch through the ice before and, to be honest, most of the ones I’ve ever caught were incidental growing up in North Carolina.

I live near Canyon Ferry and will spend a lot of time fishing near the silos.  Taking the wife and kids along with me, I want to get them hooked on ice fishing and I think being over a decent perch bite is the best way to go.

That said, what are you guys seeing them hit?  I’ve stocked up on various jigs and spoons and will start tying some flies here in the near future.  I just want to go out there with a half decent chance of catching some perch so the wife and kids are having a good time.  If they have fun, it means I get to fish more!

Thanks!!
Ducks and dogs I use Pete's Tackle Shops Jigs. for Canyon Ferry I would use Tail Danzers, Slayers, & Pete's Disco Wobbler's or his lead Maggot set up drop shot style oh and the Cascade Wonder is the 1/8th just catches big fish.

Whiptail
Pete's Tackle Shop

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.