The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: quick strike rigs  (Read 2113 times)

Offline hooker1

• IceShanty Rookie
quick strike rigs
« on: Jan 10, 2009, 11:18 AM »
FIRST TIME FISHING FOR PIKE ON ICE DO YOU STILL USE A STEEL LEADER AHEAD OF A QUIKSTRIKE RIG OR CAN YOU RUN FLOUROCARBON LEADER. I HAVE BEEN TOLD BOTH WAYS AND WOULD HATE TO GETBIT OFF EVERY TIME . THANKS

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
Re: quick strike rigs
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2009, 11:41 AM »
If the quick strike rig has at least 9-12" of steel/titanium leader above the bait then you should be fine.  If it doesn't then I would put another steel/titanium leader above it.

I normally use 12" leaders on pike and until I caught a larger one, that was just fine.  I now use 18" leaders, because wouldn't it suck to loose a fish just because you thought the leader was big enough, but then it wasn't because the fish was HUGE!!!

Good Fishing :tipup:

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2009, 12:30 PM »
hooker1, I agree with neptune.  I have had even 12" steel leaders wrap around the mouth of the pike and then break off as soon as the mono line touches the teeth.  Sometimes those pike flip around in the water like a crocodile.  Be careful because those pike like the taste of fingers.
wish you many hook-ups

Offline montanafishingr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2009, 12:57 PM »
I used to use 18" steel leaders then I started making them shorter and shorter. Now they are down to about 6". Neptune and Quantoson have now convinced me to go back to 18" again.

Offline hooker1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2009, 01:46 PM »
I used to use 18" steel leaders then I started making them shorter and shorter. Now they are down to about 6". Neptune and Hooker have now convinced me to go back to 18" again.
thanks for the info,  i never even thought about the longer lenth leaders, agian thanks

Offline flyfish59102

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • If it didn't have a mother then it wasn't a meal.
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2009, 04:41 PM »
 I have noticed a lot of people use steel leader but I have found a way better option. Instead of using clunky steel leaders that effect how your bait can move and are pretty visible go to walmart and get some tiger tail. Tiger tail is nylon covered braided steel. Little girls use it for making bead necklaces. (insert joke here) Either way, it is way lighter and less visible and a pike can't chew through it on a bet. I use it for flyfishing for pike because it is easier to case. Just take off the desired length...any amount because it is $2.99 for 20 yards and then twist it around itself and hit it quickly with a lighter. I have never once had it break and I have pulled in pike 10-15lbs without ever having broken one off. Since it is so cheap you don't worry about recovering the end the pike swallowed. Just cut it off an start over. Good luck.

Offline montanafishingr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2009, 04:52 PM »
What section in Wallmart are you going to find this in. I can picture the blank look on the persons face when I walk in and ask for Tiger Tail now. They are not real helpful and dont seem to care if you find what you want or not at ours in missoula.

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2009, 04:58 PM »
I also make my own quick strike rigs,and make them 18 inches,when you get pike over 40 it's amazing how much leader they can swallow,I use # 8 hooks,one slides with rubber tubing,to adjust to the bait size.

Offline flyfish59102

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2009, 09:52 AM »
Since it isn't actually designed for fishing I don't know that it has a lb designation. It is two or three strands of steel woven together and I have never had one break. At the top end I do use a swivel though because it has cuth through line where it ties together because it is so thin. Even a small swivel will do it. Since I found the stuff I don't use anything else and all of three of my pike fishing buddies have switched over.

Offline fishonice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 19, 2009, 11:49 AM »
I have noticed a lot of people use steel leader but I have found a way better option. Instead of using clunky steel leaders that effect how your bait can move and are pretty visible go to walmart and get some tiger tail. Tiger tail is nylon covered braided steel. Little girls use it for making bead necklaces. (insert joke here) Either way, it is way lighter and less visible and a pike can't chew through it on a bet. I use it for flyfishing for pike because it is easier to case. Just take off the desired length...any amount because it is $2.99 for 20 yards and then twist it around itself and hit it quickly with a lighter. I have never once had it break and I have pulled in pike 10-15lbs without ever having broken one off. Since it is so cheap you don't worry about recovering the end the pike swallowed. Just cut it off an start over. Good luck.
where do you find this stuff at wal-mart? i hate wandering around in there looking for things

TIGHT LINES

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #10 on: Jan 19, 2009, 02:59 PM »
I make mine as well, but never used no tiger tail, this should be a good one for the Wally world here in Kalispell.  You better post a picture.
wish you many hook-ups

Offline flyfish59102

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 20, 2009, 10:12 AM »
It isn't in the fishing section. Little girls use it for making necklaces like I was saying. It is over in the crafts section. Usually by the beading supplies. I looked on mine this last weekend to see if there was a #lb. test. There isn't, but it is the perfect combination of strong and flexible. Let me know if you find it.

flyfish59102

Offline rezeye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 20, 2009, 10:22 AM »
any pics of this girly stuff ;) ;) ;) :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :unsure:

Offline flyfish59102

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 26, 2009, 10:19 AM »
I have a picture, but I don't know how to post it. Do you have any idea? And they changed the name? It is called "fashion cord" and it is designated as a nylon coated beading wire. :tipup:

Offline rezeye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 26, 2009, 11:53 AM »
go to photobucket .com and set yourself up an account first of all then there is also a thread somewhere on this here site that tells you how to post sorry if I cant be much help but I am still figuring out how everything works myself :D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.