The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: fort peck  (Read 2542 times)

Offline hooker1

• IceShanty Rookie
fort peck
« on: Jan 04, 2009, 11:07 PM »
has anyone been to hell creek at fort peck lately, if so i have not fished peck through the ice i could use a few pointers . heading up january 16

Offline kwil226

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: fort peck
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2009, 06:10 PM »
Also interested in some info on fort peck... Specifically where to go to get on some good pike using tip-ups and live bait. Also any info on live bait providers in the area. Thanks much

Offline venom

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • On Ah Fish "N" Mission
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2009, 09:56 PM »
  I'll be heading up to Ft.Peck sometime this hard water season to do a little fishing with my unkle who lives up and over there. I dont know much about the area and what to expect for fishing. Do you guy's have a good mixed bag of fish to target I'd like to chase some trout around and bring up some baits. Is there many bait shops around? Id like to start rounding up more info thanks guys.

Offline lingslayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2009, 10:07 PM »
Does anyone know if you can get to the water at Crooked Creek, I fished it about ten years ago but have'nt been there since. I hope to get up there this year and Crooked Creek would be the closest route for me. Thanks for any info.

Offline venom

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • On Ah Fish "N" Mission
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2009, 10:12 PM »
  Hellcreek Im more than sure thats where we will be at I forgot to put that in there thanks.

Offline Bono

• IceShanty Rookie
  • You should have been here yesterday!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 29, 2009, 04:41 PM »
Plan on fishing Fort Peck this weekend and the first bit of next week.  I would really like to take my car, causes its a long drive and it's a lot lighter.  Wondering if theres is any problems I would encounter crossing cracks on the ice?  How is the road between Hell Creek and Jordan?  I came out for the first time ever last year and that road was pretty rough.  Anybody with any advice to help out some novices about fishing the Peck would be greatly appreciated.  Plan on targetting walleyes and northern.  Any advice on jigging?  Thanks for anything!
TIP UP!

Offline hooker1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 29, 2009, 06:04 PM »
Plan on fishing Fort Peck this weekend and the first bit of next week.  I would really like to take my car, causes its a long drive and it's a lot lighter.  Wondering if theres is any problems I would encounter crossing cracks on the ice?  How is the road between Hell Creek and Jordan?  I came out for the first time ever last year and that road was pretty rough.  Anybody with any advice to help out some novices about fishing the Peck would be greatly appreciated.  Plan on targetting walleyes and northern.  Any advice on jigging?  Thanks for anything!
we went to peck jan 17-20 there was almost no fish caught jigging all on tippups. the pressure ridge at the end of hell creek would be pretty tricky in a car, we also battled about 6" of slush on sunday night and monday, caught most on live minnows but afew on smelt
good luck!!!!!!!!

Offline Bono

• IceShanty Rookie
  • You should have been here yesterday!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 30, 2009, 11:19 AM »
Thanks for all the help guys.  Think I'm going to play it safe and just take my truck out there and use my flip over shanty.  Hopefully the wind stays down, I'm really looking forward to getting into some good fish.  Any advice on areas on the lake to go, what depth to have tip-ups at?  Is it better to bring the tip-ups in shallower at night.  I guess the plan is to spend the entire time on the ice.  Hoping for a nice eye for the wall and a some smaller eaters.  From looking at the pictures on the Hell Creek site seems like people keep all the big eyes they catch.  I know its a big lake, but take a picture and let them swim another day.  Also wondering if I have to worry about Hell Creek Marina running out of minnows if I get there midday tommorrow (saturday)? 

Thanks for all the help guys!
TIP UP!

Offline hooker1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 30, 2009, 12:12 PM »
Thanks for all the help guys.  Think I'm going to play it safe and just take my truck out there and use my flip over shanty.  Hopefully the wind stays down, I'm really looking forward to getting into some good fish.  Any advice on areas on the lake to go, what depth to have tip-ups at?  Is it better to bring the tip-ups in shallower at night.  I guess the plan is to spend the entire time on the ice.  Hoping for a nice eye for the wall and a some smaller eaters.  From looking at the pictures on the Hell Creek site seems like people keep all the big eyes they catch.  I know its a big lake, but take a picture and let them swim another day.  Also wondering if I have to worry about Hell Creek Marina running out of minnows if I get there midday tommorrow (saturday)? 

Thanks for all the help guys!
clint usually has a huge supply of bait and all sizes you shouldn't have to worry about that

Offline hntrboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 30, 2009, 10:27 PM »
minnow bucket .....billings has exellant bait..... bait boys in jordan also will fix you up.... call first.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.