The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: CF derby  (Read 6074 times)

Offline NONYA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Smak em and stackem!
CF derby
« on: Dec 31, 2008, 08:19 AM »
Has anyone preregisstered?

Offline perchhogslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the bite
Re: CF derby
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31, 2008, 08:45 AM »
Has anyone preregisstered?
Is there an advantage to pre-register?  I just saw a poster posted with an address to pre-register with.  They are posted at all the gear shops. 

An Ice Fisherman is a man who spends cold days sitting on the ice doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

Offline Mt.Bucket

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 31, 2008, 09:32 AM »
No there is no benefit to preregistering, but you can buy your team in the calcuta. That takes place in Townsend the night before and you bid on your team its basicly a auction. Some teams go for hundreds. Then if someone buys your team I understand that you can still buy a portion of it. We won last year and could have made bank. But our team went for more than our pocket books could afford. So this year we may go in disguise.
Live Free Or Die.

Offline perchhogslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the bite
« Reply #3 on: Dec 31, 2008, 10:50 AM »
Calcuta?  Guess I'm too new to the derby scene, I haven't a clue what that is.. buy your team?  bidding, auction?  Huh?? How does it all work?

An Ice Fisherman is a man who spends cold days sitting on the ice doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

Offline Mt.Bucket

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 31, 2008, 11:49 AM »
If you would like to buy your team go to the Commercial Bar the night before. You'll see how it goes down. If you don't buy your team and win you still get the first place prize money, just not the calcuta money. Some Joe who bought your team gets that loot. Pretty simple really and is the only tournement in Mt. that I know of where you can get in a calcuta. Good luck to ya and have fun.
Live Free Or Die.

Offline perchhogslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the bite
« Reply #5 on: Dec 31, 2008, 12:18 PM »
Interesting.  I'm a big fan of winning more money when we win. Now I just need 2 more teammates to carry me to victory.  ;D ;D ;D  Need an observer and a fisher... er, take that back, we need an observer and a "catcher"

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #6 on: Jan 01, 2009, 09:56 AM »
Interesting.  I'm a big fan of winning more money when we win. Now I just need 2 more teammates to carry me to victory.  ;D ;D ;D  Need an observer and a fisher... er, take that back, we need an observer and a "catcher"
PHS, looks lic I.C. may be our observer...  and we may have another CFalls guy coming over that may be we can snag!

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #7 on: Jan 01, 2009, 11:17 AM »
Neptune,
I'll be coming from Columbia Falls to that Derby.  If you still have a need for another "catcher".
Let me know.
wish you many hook-ups

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #8 on: Jan 02, 2009, 09:35 AM »
Neptune,
I'll be coming from Columbia Falls to that Derby.  If you still have a need for another "catcher".
Let me know.

Quant, if you're game then we've got our Team...  and if we need to put a team name down I'm all for "Team Ice Shanty MT"

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #9 on: Jan 02, 2009, 03:26 PM »
I'm game and with the name!
wish you many hook-ups

Offline perchhogslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the bite
« Reply #10 on: Jan 19, 2009, 04:35 PM »
Can we start the smack talking about the tourney now... or should we wait till after we win?  NONYA, did you get on a team this year?  Anyone else doing the Derby, Team or Individual? 

Offline NONYA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Smak em and stackem!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 19, 2009, 06:30 PM »
I put together a team for Sunday and we will all be fishing Sat,we have pre fished a bit but not nearly enough to be a threat,duck hunting took precedence this year,although luck won me the first day last year....We will have a big green team wild popup,a small black and orange popup,a blue durango and a green wheeler,probably off by ourselves near the pressure ridge,stop by and have a drink :)

Offline deadeyerik

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 19, 2009, 09:13 PM »
My wife and I will be there Sat.. We'll be meeting up with Bullelk34 and his wife. We couldn't decide who was going to be the observer so we'll go somewhere else on Sun. if we stay that long. Never been to the Silos so how do you get to the preasure ridge?

Deadeye

Offline SummerSucks

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 19, 2009, 10:24 PM »
just head north and go untill you see the ice shoot straight up or you see every person in montana in one spot.  Make sure you bring transportation because it is a long haul 

Offline perchhogslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the bite
« Reply #14 on: Jan 19, 2009, 10:44 PM »
yep, and don't get too close to the pressure ridge,  an older guy fell through last week, an ATV broke through while trying to cross, and another guy I know broke through, fell up to his waist and landed on a solid shelf below. weird thing.  yeah, just look for every person on the planet lined up from one side of the lake to the other.  can't miss it. can't pass it either without traveling by land. so, yeah, it's easy to find.

Offline MT perch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 19, 2009, 11:39 PM »
We have a four of guys heading over.  Just planning on fishing the derby on Saturday.  No one wants to be the observer on Sunday!  Looking forward to trying the new Marcum.

Offline Sandbilly

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 20, 2009, 07:44 AM »
Can you describe this derby? Fish species, winning (weight/length) last year, amount of entries, C&R or harvest  etc.

Most ice competitions here in Nebraska are two person team, total weight tournaments and most have a calcutta.

Thanks and Good luck,

dc

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #17 on: Jan 20, 2009, 08:33 AM »
We have a four of guys heading over.  Just planning on fishing the derby on Saturday.  No one wants to be the observer on Sunday!  Looking forward to trying the new Marcum.
Just so you know the Observer can fish....the fish just don't count toward the team total....

Offline Dinga LING

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • <
« Reply #18 on: Jan 21, 2009, 04:41 PM »
I'll be going down Friday night.  Watch for a grey GMC Crew cab with a fifth wheel trailer and a 4 wheeler trailer.  I plan on parking near the boat ramp where I was last year.  I'll put out some hunter orange just to make sure.  Stop by after the tourney.  It will be a good place to have a fire and some adult beverages.   Ding

Give a man a fish,  he eats for a day.
Teach a man to fish,  he sits all day on the ice drinking beer.

Offline perchhogslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the bite
« Reply #19 on: Jan 22, 2009, 09:50 AM »
I'll be going down Friday night.  Watch for a grey GMC Crew cab with a fifth wheel trailer and a 4 wheeler trailer.  I plan on parking near the boat ramp where I was last year.  I'll put out some hunter orange just to make sure.  Stop by after the tourney.  It will be a good place to have a fire and some adult beverages.   Ding
Ding, You going to the Calcuta at the Commercial Bar on Saturday night?  8:00?  either way, we'll look for ya.  Orange is a good idea cause where you said you are going to park gets pretty packed full of trucks with trailers, and more campers that weekend then any other during the winter.

If we miss you around camp, look for us on the 1st place podium,  we'll be the ones grinning ear to ear and raking in all our prize money.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline NONYA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Smak em and stackem!
« Reply #20 on: Jan 22, 2009, 10:10 AM »
Ok so can u register at the calcutta?Do you have to?I was planning on rgistering after the sat tourney at the store,is that possible?

Offline deadeyerik

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 22, 2009, 10:15 AM »
Does anyone have a recent Ice report? can you still drive on the lake? Cold weather is comeing, should make a little more ice.

Deadeye

Offline perchhogslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the bite
« Reply #22 on: Jan 22, 2009, 10:23 AM »
Yes, guys are still driving brand new pickups on the ice... as long as there is ice, there will be people "testing" it. wouldn't recomend it, but guess thats just me.  Ice is in pretty darn good condition though.  warm weather didn't affect it much.  seemed be typically be 8-10 degrees colder down there then it was in Helena.

NONYA,  I called the Lions club guy running this show and he said EVERY team registered before the Calcuta will be included in it.  I asked him Monday if I could still pre-register and he said yes, but only at the Silos RV, but not to worry, I could register on Saturday any time at the Silos RV and still would be included in the Calcuta. 

Offline icechick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 22, 2009, 11:30 AM »
Hey does anybody know the cost and by what time we need to register on Saturday.

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #24 on: Jan 22, 2009, 11:40 AM »
Hey does anybody know the cost and by what time we need to register on Saturday.
$5 for adults for Saturday(may be an additional charge if you want to fish Ling), $2 for kids and I believe they will take your money right up til it starts at 7am...

Offline perchhogslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the bite
« Reply #25 on: Jan 22, 2009, 12:11 PM »
$5 for adults for Saturday(may be an additional charge if you want to fish Ling), $2 for kids and I believe they will take your money right up til it starts at 7am...
I think its $10 for adults this year, and $5 for kids,  least thats what the posters say,  who knows.  it was only 5/2 last year.  10 just means a bigger pot to take home.  ;D ;D ;D

Offline icechick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 22, 2009, 12:43 PM »
Sweet thanks guys that is not bad at all.

Offline Dinga LING

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • <
« Reply #27 on: Jan 22, 2009, 03:18 PM »
Ding, You going to the Calcuta at the Commercial Bar on Saturday night?  8:00?  either way, we'll look for ya.  Orange is a good idea cause where you said you are going to park gets pretty packed full of trucks with trailers, and more campers that weekend then any other during the winter.

If we miss you around camp, look for us on the 1st place podium,  we'll be the ones grinning ear to ear and raking in all our prize money.  ;D ;D ;D ;D
[/quot 

I hadn't planned on the calcutta.  I mainly wanted to meet as many IS members as I could.  The calcutta sounds like fun but will probsbly be very crowded but if that is where everybody is going, count me in.  If ya just wanna hang arooound and have a few beers I;ll stay by the lake.  It is kind of hard to find a place to park the rig with 2 trailers.  I need 40 acres to just turn around.   C ya at the derby,   Ding

Give a man a fish,  he eats for a day.
Teach a man to fish,  he sits all day on the ice drinking beer.

Offline perchhogslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the bite
« Reply #28 on: Jan 22, 2009, 03:47 PM »
sounds good. We'll look for you after the final weigh in on Saturday.  may go back on the lake for a few more hours of fishing before dinner and then the Calcutta.  You'd be more then welcome to hop in one of our rigs to go to the calcutta and hang out for a while.  we won't be out very late, just long enough to buy our team and head back to Helena. 

Offline NONYA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Smak em and stackem!
« Reply #29 on: Jan 22, 2009, 07:39 PM »
eXPLAIN THE CALCUTTA,im not sure **censored** you mean....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.