The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Land Lock Salmon in MT?  (Read 4937 times)

Offline Coldfinger007

• IceShanty Rookie
Land Lock Salmon in MT?
« on: Oct 19, 2007, 07:21 AM »
In Sept I did some snagging for Kokanee off the bank at Helena Regulating Reservoir.  Just wondering if this lake is any good for ice fishing the Kokanee in the winter?  I know Waltrout is out there in Helena....do you ice fish the Reservoir?  Any other areas in the area for land lock salmon?

Offline icechick

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Land Lock Salmon in MT?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 19, 2007, 09:52 AM »
The reservoir does pretty well on Salmon if you are in the right spot at the right time. I do believe that the best place for salmon through the ice there is closer to the output to the canal. Last year the perch bite was pretty darn good. Although they were small still a good place to get kids out to catch alot of fish. I heard there is also some ling in there.

Offline Walltrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Oct 19, 2007, 09:55 AM »
Some years fishing for the kokes is better than others.  Last year it seemed pretty slow for them the times I fished there.  A flasher seems to help a lot.  I was surprised that the depth of the water near the face of the dam was about 65 feet.  That's a lot of water to cover if you don't know where they are at.  Last year there were also a ton of dink perch.  This year hopefully they will be a little bigger and next year it should be pretty good as long at there is enough feed.  

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong."  John Giera

Offline FishN4Eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 19, 2007, 10:41 AM »

The fishing for the kokes seems to be better early in the season would be my only advice.

Seems like December and January are best then it slows down.

At least the is my experience.
FLAG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Walltrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Oct 19, 2007, 10:45 AM »
That could explain why I thought it was slow last year.  I didn't go there much till late in the season.

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong."  John Giera

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.