The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: tip up setup  (Read 2747 times)

oldschoolben

tip up setup
« on: Jan 08, 2016, 03:36 PM »
 finally got me a few tipups would like some suggestions on how to rig the smelt

Offline JohnMcN1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: tip up setup
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2016, 03:58 PM »
I use a quick strike set up. One hook through the snout of the smelt, one hook behind the dorsal fin.

Offline MatCat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2016, 04:01 PM »
I like using the mustad L hooks.  You have to be around when the flag goes up, because they can't swallow them and will eventually drop the bait.  Insert hook in bunghole then run it forward and up so the tip pokes up just behind the head.  Smelt sits nice on the hook that way for a good presentation, then just shake them off the hook when you get them on the ice, usually fall right off. 

Tinker

« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2016, 04:33 PM »
Ix2 on the L hook.  I prefer them but have never tried a quick strike.

Offline pmmpete

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2016, 05:51 PM »
For a good way to tie up quick-strike rigs with two treble hooks, see
and
, or Google “two hook mooching rig.”

I set the upper treble hook deeply in the back of the bait fish at its balance point, so it will float level, and I put the lower hook in the bait fish's head with the points of the hook facing backwards, because pike, lake trout, and similar fish always swallow fish head first.

Offline vicster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2016, 06:33 PM »
I put a 1/4 oz egg sinker on my tip-up line and then tie on a heavyish cross lock snap swivel (weight helps get your bait down faster when setting in deep water).  For pike I use a couple feet of heavy mono (I like floro-carbon as it's lower vis and more abrasion resistant if a fish rolls and gets your leader in it's mouth) but straight wire leader works as well.  At the end of that I use a quick strike rig which is by far the best set-up I've ever used.  It allows you to set the hook right away which upps your hook up percentage, and usually hooks the fish somewhere in the mouth which makes them easier to unhook and gives you the option to release them if they are over/undersized.  For eyes/trout/perch I use 8-12lb floro to a single or small treble.  I use a leader wallet with everything pre-tied to small barrel swivels so if I'm fishing pike one day and eyes the next I can just flip out leader rigs on the snap swivel and I'm fishing.  Quick and easy!

oldschoolben

« Reply #6 on: Jan 08, 2016, 07:01 PM »
thanks for the help  I was thinking about going out tomorrow to upsata and trying my luck ,but bobwards didn't have any smelt ,and my new auger isn't here yet and I'm not sure if I feel like using my hand auger after the week I have had lol

Offline wolf777

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 08, 2016, 07:47 PM »
Local grocery stores like albertsons and some of the mom and pops have them usually at the meat department. Sportsmans has some of the best big bait.

oldschoolben

« Reply #8 on: Jan 08, 2016, 07:53 PM »
Didn't know that  thanks for info ,now if I can find someone to drill my holes I'm styling lol I can't wait to get my auger

Offline JohnMcN1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 08, 2016, 07:55 PM »
Local grocery stores like albertsons and some of the mom and pops have them usually at the meat department. Sportsmans has some of the best big bait.

Sportsman's x2. They always have a ton in stock.

Offline vicster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 08, 2016, 08:33 PM »
just bring a spud bar and open up old holes, there should be plenty out there.  Ax might work as well if ya dont have a spud.

Offline Jm Parker

• IceShanty Rookie
Dates
« Reply #11 on: Jan 10, 2016, 10:59 AM »
Why the ice reports from years past?

Jm Parker

oldschoolben

« Reply #12 on: Jan 10, 2016, 11:48 AM »
I keep hearing about the  silos, I have no idea where that is lol,

Offline OTTOCAR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 10, 2016, 01:03 PM »
The silos on Canyon Ferry lake, south of Helena...

Offline MTangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Here fishy fishy fishy.
« Reply #14 on: Jan 10, 2016, 04:14 PM »
I can't seem to find what an L hook looks like. Can anyone inform me?  ???

MTA

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 10, 2016, 04:31 PM »
http://www.lake-link.com/images/forumphotos/hookonly_01212015_214426.jpg

Personally I'm not a fan, I use a single treble (size depends on species) for pike i tie them to 20lb flouro which is tied directly to my main line using a uni-to-uni knot.

Offline Young Blood

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 11, 2016, 08:41 AM »
I like using the mustad L hooks.  You have to be around when the flag goes up, because they can't swallow them and will eventually drop the bait.  Insert hook in bunghole then run it forward and up so the tip pokes up just behind the head.  Smelt sits nice on the hook that way for a good presentation, then just shake them off the hook when you get them on the ice, usually fall right off.

I agree with this except I add a 6 inch piece of steel leader with a treble connected where you tie on the L hook and then I hook the treble under the jaw of the smelt. I've hooked a lot of pike with that treble when they don't get hooked with the L hook. This was all before I moved to where I can use live bait, however. A little off topic but... if you are in a place where you can use live minnows do it! Just a single treble hook hooked under the dorsal fin.
Keep the Faith

oldschoolben

« Reply #17 on: Jan 15, 2016, 09:01 PM »
If you're using just a single treble hook, how do you hook your smelt. And also I bought a quickstrike set-up today it's from Canyon ferry Missouri tackle it's a quick strike rig but I'm not sure how to rig it any ideas would be helpful thanks

oldschoolben

« Reply #18 on: Jan 15, 2016, 09:10 PM »
Nevermind I figured out how to use the quick strike still not sure how to rig a smell with a single hook, or is using one treble hook a bad idea when fishing for pike?

Offline heine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 16, 2016, 12:11 AM »
one single point of the single treble through the middle of the fish works great. make sure that the fish balances in the air. usually has the treble right in the corner of the mouth unless you let them swallow it, which usually doesnt happen

oldschoolben

« Reply #20 on: Jan 16, 2016, 07:43 PM »
Ok thanks,  that's kind of what I thought but I just wanted to get some second opinions

oldschoolben

« Reply #21 on: Jan 16, 2016, 07:44 PM »
Ok thanks,  that's kind of what I thought but I just wanted to get some second opinions

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.