The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Toston Dam  (Read 4852 times)

Offline Rghnrdy_mt

• IceShanty Rookie
Toston Dam
« on: Dec 31, 2009, 02:02 PM »
Any info on Toston? I've heard big pike and wondered if anyone had tried it this year.

Offline fishinwithbrittanies

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Toston Dam
« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 2010, 11:12 AM »
I almost fished it last year once but the wife made me leave.
If you do fish it and its awsome don't say anything!  You'll probably have your own honey hole there for years since nobody goes down there
Its better to have hooked and lost than to have never hooked at all - J.B.

*WARNING*  This man fishes with dogs off leash

Offline spedray

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 01, 2010, 11:25 AM »
I have fished below it several times and haven't had much luck. There actually seems to be quite a few people that fish below the dam but never above for some reason. I usually just catch bigger sized rainbows but never a pike but I know there are in there

Offline icebugler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 01, 2010, 11:54 AM »
it seems like we are all in the same boat when it comes to wanting to go and just never doing it cuz of the unknown. i almost put up a post a couple weeks ago asking the same thing and figured i would get the same response. ive fished above the dam once in the summer by boat and didnt catch squat for pike. somehow my buddy ended up with a monster 15+ carp that went after a huge blue fox spinner. it was wild. i might try up there as well this winter. hopefully one of us lands a pike up there!

Offline fishinwithbrittanies

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 01, 2010, 06:44 PM »
I remember reading posts last year on here but I can't remember the thread.  There was a guy with a picture of a very decent pike caught below toston dam.  I think the thread was about pike in canyon ferry but I can't remember.  I know a buddy of mine has caught pike at three forks rec area so they gotta be in toston.  Slower water might be good for 'em
Its better to have hooked and lost than to have never hooked at all - J.B.

*WARNING*  This man fishes with dogs off leash

Offline GOOSE_EGG

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Rip'n Lips [URL=http://s1208.photobucket.com/user/
« Reply #5 on: Jan 04, 2010, 01:52 PM »
There is a guy in butte that i know that landed  a HUGE pike there 2 or three years ago. He said he was fishing for rainbows and he came home with a wally the wall hanger pike.

Offline emt59602

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 04, 2010, 04:20 PM »
I went to toston dam on friday afternoon and didn't get a bite. There was a few holes out there but no slime or blood around any of them. I have been trying to get a pike out of there since last summer because an old timer showed me a picture of a 27 pounder he pulled out of the ice. hopefully soon it will pick up

Offline Rghnrdy_mt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2010, 12:13 PM »
Fished it Sunday and didn't get a bite-an old timer showed up and said that the pike are losing their teeth right now and it will be slow for the next month or so. Was marking fish on the flasher, but no action.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #8 on: Jan 05, 2010, 12:21 PM »
Old wives tail....Catch a pike, any pike and put your hand in it's mouth and see how much you bleed. Pike replace teeth as they loose them but they never loose all their teeth.

Offline Mr. iceman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 05, 2010, 03:33 PM »
Thinking about trying Toston 01/10/10 right above the dam. In the spring and fall I hammer'em below the dam, caught a 23inch pike right at the big springs spawning area.  Little worried about the ice thickness above the dam and hoping the fish will be hitting the pimples.

Offline Rghnrdy_mt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 05, 2010, 08:14 PM »
12"plus of ice, but they're working on the dam and broke a huge hole in the ice against the face of the dam. Fished it Sunday, no luck, but the ice started cracking all the way across. Toughed it out until a crack opened 10 ft behind me and water shot in the air-decided to call it a day at that point! Think I'll wait for some cold weather before heading back up.

Offline Mr. iceman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 06, 2010, 09:07 AM »
12"plus of ice, but they're working on the dam and broke a huge hole in the ice against the face of the dam. Fished it Sunday, no luck, but the ice started cracking all the way across. Toughed it out until a crack opened 10 ft behind me and water shot in the air-decided to call it a day at that point! Think I'll wait for some cold weather before heading back up.
HOLY S*&%

Offline spedray

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 06, 2010, 05:21 PM »
Heading out here one days next week. I am pretty much just going for pike. Is it better to fish above or below the dam? Caught some lake shad at three forks the other day so hoping to use them buggers up. Is the big eddy below the dam frozen at all? Thinking about fishing it from shore for a whille if possible.

Offline icebugler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 06, 2010, 10:17 PM »
below the dam is open

Offline spedray

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 08, 2010, 08:25 PM »
Fished today from 10:30 till 5:30 without a single bite. But after we moved towards the park some guys came in a took our holes and caught a #5 pike an hour later. 7 guys on the water today and that was the only fish caught. The fish was in 4 fow. Suprisingly the ice was over 2' thick. Almost needed and extension to bust through

Offline Ivanbbad

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 08, 2010, 08:37 PM »
That was above the dam?! I've never been there, but I'm thinkin about making a trip!

Offline spedray

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 08, 2010, 08:54 PM »
Yes, above the dam. Also talked to a guy that said he had done ok a few miles above the dam this winter.

Offline Rghnrdy_mt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 09, 2010, 07:38 AM »
WATCH THE ICE! My mom and my dog have both gone through in the last few weeks-both turned out okay thankfully! 2 days after my mom went through there was a guy with his car parked about 40 feet away from the spot she fell through, and I was fishing 8 feet away from where my dog broke through and had 20 in of ice. That current is treacherous... I've fished it 4 times with no luck, but I know they're in there...keep tryin I guess.

Offline NONYA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Smak em and stackem!
« Reply #18 on: Feb 09, 2010, 10:05 AM »
Ice is 22",dont know how u fell through that?The pike are there,try 1-3 feet of water under the ice  ;D

Offline fishawn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 09, 2010, 05:43 PM »
Ice is 22",dont know how u fell through that?The pike are there,try 1-3 feet of water under the ice  ;D

I can only guess there are warm springs in certain locations up there. I know the rainbow sancuary is a warm springs which means there could be more under the lake above the dam.
Fish Ninja

Offline spedray

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 09, 2010, 08:14 PM »
Might head up in the morning. Let ya know how it goes.

Offline Rghnrdy_mt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 10, 2010, 07:14 PM »

There's also a current through the entire reservoir, and lots of beaver activity... ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.