The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Windlass tip-ups  (Read 1041 times)

Offline fishonice

• IceShanty Rookie
Windlass tip-ups
« on: Feb 01, 2009, 06:29 PM »
just wondering how everyone feels about these???  ??? :tipup:

TIGHT LINES

Offline wallinuts

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Love those big winter females
Re: Windlass tip-ups
« Reply #1 on: Feb 01, 2009, 09:42 PM »
Peronally I don't care for them.  The line freezes in the hole unless you have a cover with a tube through it and pour some mineral oil or something in it to keep from freezing.  Just my opinion.

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Me and my fishing buddy
« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 2009, 01:16 AM »
There are times when windlass tip-ups are incredible and other times when they are not so good.  If it is much below freezing they aren't so good.  Although I have found that when it is between 10F and 32F you can put a really small bobber right at water level, and because of the jigging action, the bobber will keep the water from freezing as quickly.  If it's colder then 10F I leave the windlass at home and use a traditional tip-up.  When I lived in eastern MT, I used to use my windlass at South Sandstone and nail the pike.  Up here in AK we don't get the wind like MT does, so they don't really do much.  The best thing to do is play with them in your yard a few times before you take them fishing, figure ouy the best way to set them up for your style of jigging and then just do that when you go fishing.  Just my $.02.

Offline bighof

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • have you seen me walk on water????
« Reply #3 on: Feb 02, 2009, 10:23 AM »
does anybody use the battery operated "jigging" tip-up?  are they legal in Montana??  If anybody has used these please post a review.  They look like they might work pretty well for walleye on the lakes where we cannot use live bait.... LMK
l

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.