The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: new to the shanty  (Read 1386 times)

Offline olbaits

• IceShanty Rookie
new to the shanty
« on: Jan 26, 2009, 06:09 PM »
Hello,
I have just been checking out the website,kind of a computer rook.  Looking for new places to fish anywhere mt. Layed off for winter with plenty of time.  I fish at georgetown to catch salmon to smoke, will be going tomorrow or wed. depends on weather.  I think that the ling fishin starts to pick up in clark canyon soon, fun fish.   I was raised in Minnesota and love to fish, hard, soft or inbetween.  I like to fish tiber and peck for pike and walleye when I can.  Any crappie fishin is a blessing, my favorite fillet by far.  I have enjoyed everyones pics, I will try to add some of my own.

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
Re: new to the shanty
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2009, 06:40 PM »
I'll be the first to welcome you.  You will find these boards helpful and if you find a great fishing spot make sure to PM me only with GPS coordinates and maps, methods of catch and when we're going. ;D
wish you many hook-ups

Offline trout chaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2009, 06:42 PM »
ill  be  the   second  or  third  by  now  welcome

Offline olbaits

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2009, 06:56 PM »
thanks for the warm welcome.  Nice one quonto, I'll get started soon.  Looks like a chilly morning + changing pressure= sleeping in.

Offline fishinforpigs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2009, 09:22 PM »
olbaits, welcome aboard. I'm a newbie to the shanty as well, but not a newbie to the ice. I spend most of my time on Canyon Ferry, but do fish the holding resevoir, Hyalite Resevoir, Hebgen, and a few others when I can. I would love to make it up north and spear for pike one of these times. I hear that it is a blast. At any rate, welcome and look forward to sharing with you and hearing what you have to share

Offline wallinuts

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Love those big winter females
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2009, 10:12 PM »
Welcome olbaits and good fishing to you

Offline zimmer2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 26, 2009, 10:33 PM »
Welcome olbaits, I fish GT also. Maybe meet you on the ice someday! :)

Offline copperjohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 27, 2009, 03:11 AM »
Glad to have you here olbaits
I'm also a Mud Duck transplant going on 9 years now.  If you ever find yourself on the East Slopes drop a line.  I'm pretty good on the MO during softwater if you're a caster. Gotta drive alot to get to hardwater.  Welcome
Dave
Gravity's B**ch On Hard Water

Offline i c

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 28, 2009, 01:32 PM »
welcome olbaits im in the missoula area also and am always glad to do a little fishing,what do you like to catch mostly,i dont like to eat trout much so dont target them but about anything else im game for.

Offline LILDILL

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 28, 2009, 01:33 PM »
welcome to the site i am new to
TIP-UP

Offline olbaits

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 29, 2009, 02:04 PM »
Hey i c, Same here, do not eat trout.  Pike, walleye, panfish,bass,ling, and salmon.  In that order in fact.  I fish georgetown because it is close and I am familiar with lake, I do like smoked kooks.  I have made trips to tiber and peck.  I am trying to make it out to peck soon, would really like to catch some nice walleye.  What about you, what do you fish for?

Offline Dinga LING

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • <
« Reply #11 on: Jan 29, 2009, 11:07 PM »
Welcome Olbaits,

live in Great Falls but love to fish Peck.  Wanna share a trip down there sometime?

Give a man a fish,  he eats for a day.
Teach a man to fish,  he sits all day on the ice drinking beer.

Offline i c

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 31, 2009, 08:58 PM »
sounds like about the same as you i have been and like fishing perch,just started trying for pike this year and so far have only saw my bro inlaw pull one through,although id like to try more.and caught my first ling on sunday night monday morning after the perch derby, that was pretty cool,ive been over to canyon ferry twice to try for ling last year and got skunked both times so was pretty excited to see one come through the hole.going to try to make a trip to clark canyon for ling sometime.i have never caught a walleye but its on the top of my to do list now that i iced a ling. basically anything thats not a trout,although in a pinch trout will work to,just dont like to eat them much.

Offline Rat-Man

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 31, 2009, 09:03 PM »
Welcome to the ICE and many Salmon to ya  :)
LIMIT YOUR KILL - DON'T KILL YOUR LIMIT

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.