The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: crappie  (Read 1568 times)

Offline Bowhunter4Life

• IceShanty Rookie
  • It's always somethin'
crappie
« on: Jan 21, 2009, 08:56 PM »
Does any one out there know other than tongue river reservoir or peck that crappie can be found with out driving half way across the state to catch a few? :tipup: :tipup:
Rooney

Offline wallinuts

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Love those big winter females
Re: crappie
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2009, 09:38 PM »
Fresno has some good crappie in it but I don't know how the ice fishing is for them.  No minnows on Fresno.

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2009, 08:36 AM »
Fresno has some good crappie in it but I don't know how the ice fishing is for them.  No minnows on Fresno.
You should still be able to use Preserved Minnows, and on Our side of the Divide, they work pretty darn well for Crappie!!

Offline mtjohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2009, 09:19 PM »
You should still be able to use Preserved Minnows, and on Our side of the Divide, they work pretty darn well for Crappie!!

How do you fish the preserved minnows?

Offline icebugler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2009, 07:21 PM »
neptune, you still having luck on crappie??? dont know if you remember me but i was living in whitefish a couple winters back and loved trying to catch those guys. you used preserved minnows huh??? i would always use forage minnows with soft tails. i made one trip last year since moving to bozeman but my brother caught a pretty nice one.

Offline wallinuts

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Love those big winter females
« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2009, 12:16 AM »
Try berkley gulp on a jighead.  Most people don't have confidence with soft baits but I have caught a ton of fish on gulp.  GIVE IT A CHANCE. you will like the results.

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #6 on: Jan 27, 2009, 07:59 AM »
neptune, you still having luck on crappie??? dont know if you remember me but i was living in whitefish a couple winters back and loved trying to catch those guys. you used preserved minnows huh??? i would always use forage minnows with soft tails. i made one trip last year since moving to bozeman but my brother caught a pretty nice one.

Icebugler, I haven't targeted the Crappie exclusively, caught a few out on Mcgwin iggers slough through the ice, but haven't been up to Blanchard this year(went in the fall and caught quite a few).

rigging preserved minnows:  I just use a small 1/16th ounce jig head(Usually black or dark green) and rig the minnow just like you would a twister tail or soft bait.  Then just jig it like you normally would, this usually works when nothing else is working...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.