The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Clark canyon  (Read 1309 times)

Offline Bowhunter4Life

• IceShanty Rookie
  • It's always somethin'
Clark canyon
« on: Jan 20, 2009, 05:00 PM »
Any one heard bout the fishin at clark canyon. :tipup: :tipup:
Rooney

Offline waterloo

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Clark canyon
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2009, 07:13 PM »
I've fished it maybe 8 times in the past several weeks.  Ice is a solid 14 inches.  The first two weeks of going up I was limiting every time with rainbows between 19 and 22 inches.  Last week everything slowed up quite a bit.  I spent about 4 hours on the ice just before the weekend and only had one fish, a ling.  I caught it jigging for trout in about 8 foot of water - go figure!  Spent yesterday on Harrison without so much as a bite, so I am going back to Clark tomorrow to see if things have improved.

bill

Offline Bowhunter4Life

• IceShanty Rookie
  • It's always somethin'
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2009, 09:24 PM »
Hey thanks for the report  sounds like you have been doing great give a shout back when ya get home from the canyon let me know about any more ling down there
maybe see ya out there some time                                                               

Bowhunter4Life
Rooney

Offline IllynPayne

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2009, 03:09 PM »
Keep us posted on locations too, if you would.  I am planning on CC tomorrow, (1-22) and haven't been down that way in awhile.  Planning on being wherever about 0600 or so.

Offline waterloo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2009, 08:32 PM »
Well, I made it back today, and the fishing has improved quite a bit over last week.  Fished between 10:00 and 3:15 in two different locations off of the Camawhait (spelling) campground.  The first spot is in about 15 foot of water with ice about 16 inch thick, and the second was in about 25 feet of water and ice must have been a good 20 inches thick.  Anyway, I had 7 misses, 1 breakoff, 2 lost at the hole, and one that I landed that went 19 inches (rainbow).  My friend had 2 misses, 1 lost at hole, 1 brown landed (19 inches), and 1 rainbow landed (21 inches).  Both locations seemed to produce some activity.  We saw several others catching a few fish, so I think that everyone was probably doing pretty well.  A LOT of activity on the lake today, everyone must be staking their spots out for derby day.  I don't fish the derby (too many people for my taste), but I might try to get back up on Friday weather permitting.

bill

Offline IllynPayne

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2009, 11:02 PM »
Thanks for the info.  Ill be out there bright and early tomorrow morning.  Not sure where I'm going to fish yet, may leave that one up to the old-timer.  I'll let you know the results.

Offline waterloo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2009, 11:23 PM »
Good luck tomorrow.  I should go back again because it looks like the weather is going to be pretty good again and then turn sour by Friday, but I really need to get some things done around the house.  I will be interested to hear how you do.

bill

Offline olbaits

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 26, 2009, 07:06 PM »
I fished cc for ling when I was in high school.  We always did real well.  I went back a few years ago about this time of year and fishing was just ok.  We did catch our limit but it took only a few.  If ling is what you seek, try around structure in 30-60 ft.  I like to catch a sucker a few days prior, let it get bad, and cut strips.  I have not done much trout fishing but I would try in the shallows one the north west end of lake, usually are shanties in trout area.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.