Author Topic: Crappie Day  (Read 1076 times)

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Crappie Day
« on: Jan 21, 2024, 07:20 AM »
Hit the big lake last weekend with my brother and a buddy. A little bummer there were smelt to be had, but I had some leftover shiners anyways. The goal was to search for whites and crappie. We didn’t find the whites but got into a handful of crappie, mostly in the 10” range. Was surprised to find 4” of solid black/clear ice. The jigs out produced the shiners by a landslide which is always fun. The best crappie we got was 14”. Caught on my rod, using my bait and flasher while my buddy was using it since I was punching some new holes…. So WE caught it? 😂

Made it out again yesterday for free fishing day. Went out with my brother and another friend who’s very new to ice fishing. I always try to take out someone new and spread the love of fishing! Especially on free fishing day. We hit a new area of the big lake with the hopes of whites and lakers. Was happy to have smelt this time, but to no surprise like everything else, price went up! This was the most inconsistent ice I had been on. I found anywhere from 3” - 6.5” of black ice or white ice and more than 25’ apart. Took my time, spudded everywhere and finally found a spot I felt comfortable. Got set up and had ourselves a great day! Caught fish on tip ups and jigging. My brother has livescope and man were the lakers active! We ended the sag with 8 lakers and 1 smallie. All the lakers were rats, but still fun!

Used boga grips to limit fish handling and ensure no one dropped any fish on the ice. All fish outside were lipped with the grips in the hole, unhooked underwater, once someone was ready with the camera the fish out and then immediately back under water to be released. Maybe a max of 5 seconds out of the water. You can tell from the pics, no frozen eyes or anything. This worked really well and to be honest might just use them all season with trout that I don’t plan on harvesting. Makes fish handling very easy and is prob better for the fish. Might venture out later today to check out some ice conditions around the big lake.

Tight Lines!

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Crappie Day
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2024, 09:00 AM »
Looks like some successful trips! I don’t know how much ice the big lake is making today with all this wind right now.

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2024, 09:33 AM »

well done...

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2024, 09:58 AM »
Looks like some successful trips! I don’t know how much ice the big lake is making today with all this wind right now.

Just waiting for those flyover pictures from Emerson aviation! Pretty sure most of the bays that locked up by Friday will remain locked and make good ice despite the wind. I think they made enough ice not to get broken up too much
Tight Lines!

Offline jigmaster5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2024, 11:52 AM »
Looks chilly - glad the fish cooperated!  Congrats!   :tipup:

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2024, 02:20 PM »
Well done bassin, solid trip for sure …..we seen a few guys using live scopes this weekend…I had to laugh we heard this one group talking and a kid yell out to his buddy
“ I spent all this money on this POC and all I have to show for it is a handle full of sunfish”   
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2024, 04:30 PM »
Sounds like a great weekend.   I fooled around with a live scope last year and it was pretty wild. 

I love my boga, it is great tool when it is cold and you want to get some picks.  It also comes in handy with the toothy critters.

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2024, 08:21 PM »
Man I love Crappie days.
Way to put in work
And yea it can be difficult for C+R on weekends like this. I literally took no fish pics this weekend. The bogas sounds like a decent idea.
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2024, 09:41 PM »
Thanks everyone! And to the livescope comments. It’s funny because my brother keeps bugging me asking if I’m going to get it but I just keep saying we have to test his out until he can convince me! Just so happens he was using wrong ALL last ice season. It really teaches you so much about fish behavior though. I’ll get one….. eventually!
Tight Lines!

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2024, 06:42 AM »
Looks like a great day on the ice !

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't get your Shanty pantys in a bunch!!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 22, 2024, 08:58 AM »
Congrats on the crappie nice looking fish sounds like a great day!
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day teach him how to fish and he will sit there and drink all day!!

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 22, 2024, 05:16 PM »
Great report, sounds like an awesome time
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.