Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Jigging

Pole and line advice

(1/2) > >>

bigfish57:
hey guys after reading all the hype about jigging I have finally desided to bite the bullet and try it out. What strength line should I be considering with a jig pole? A 10# would be the max I would hook up to. I am just woundering how well these short pole work.

bigfish57:
wow were are all the jiggers? I was thinking or running a 12# test of fire wire and a 36" pole.Am I going to have a lot of trouble with a 5-15lbs Touge with that set up?

walleye1:
black-phoenix - What's a tougue? Give us a hint or 2 what you're fishing for and I'm sure the guys on here will help you out. Personally I think jigging is the only way to go. I've never used a tip up in my life.

bigfish57:
sorry up here in Maine a Touge is a Lake Trout.

What I ended up buying was a 28" medium action pole with 20# fire wire (raited at a 8# diamiter) I bought a few pimples one with a day glow orange stripe on one side. I wanted to find buy an airplane jig but they were out. So does this soud good or am I too big on the line and to stiff on the pole? I will mainly target Touge and Browns with this set up. It is also possable I will try a few brookies and Rainbows too.

wolverine-iceman:
 When I first started jigging for lake trout, it was on Lake Charlovoix , Mi. I was using a 24" med action/6# Trielene. Also had the 28" med action for the days we chugged Swedish pimple`s, it was spooled with Berkley Firline 10# test - 4# diameter.Put 2-3 feet  of phlorocarbon as a leader on both poles. We too were getting into the double didgit Laker`s, and both rigs worked well in there respected uses. The smaller rig was used when we finnessed them with salmon eggs on or near the bottom. And in that lake , fishing on or near bottom ment you may tangle with a bourbot,or whitefish...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version