The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Annual trip to stetson  (Read 2864 times)

Offline Dirt23

• Team IceShanty Regular
Annual trip to stetson
« on: Mar 19, 2023, 05:45 AM »
My wife's family lives up there on pleasant bringing gear along to see what lurks.  I'm a stupid white mountain boy that has trouble interpretating your law book, question is can you ice fish it after April first. We have never been up this late in year and i see some body's are closed end of March. Thanks in advance!

Offline BiggerJigger

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Annual trip to stetson
« Reply #1 on: Mar 19, 2023, 06:22 AM »
Looks like it's in the south zone with no special laws so it would be open to ice fishing as long as there is ice. I would be super cautious of ice conditions though.

Offline Ryan51993

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 19, 2023, 10:34 AM »
My wife's family lives up there on pleasant bringing gear along to see what lurks.  I'm a stupid white mountain boy that has trouble interpretating your law book, question is can you ice fish it after April first. We have never been up this late in year and i see some body's are closed end of March. Thanks in advance!
Don't worry you're not the only one. I think the state should start offering classes on how to understand Maine's hunting and fishing laws.

Offline 413iceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 19, 2023, 10:56 AM »
Download the special fishing rules app on your phone...you just type in the name of the lake and it tells you all the specific rules...no longer do you need to match up the special S codes.

Also you can search on the map too. Very helpful when on new waters.

Offline Dirt23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 20, 2023, 05:28 AM »
Thanks alot guys  I'll give a report back on what I find up there

Offline DowneastPescador

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 21, 2023, 06:50 AM »
Download the special fishing rules app on your phone...you just type in the name of the lake and it tells you all the specific rules...no longer do you need to match up the special S codes.

Also you can search on the map too. Very helpful when on new waters.

They have really streamlined it. With the special rules app in conjunction with the general law page (I just keep a bookmark on my phone for general regs, special regs, surveys, and stocking reports) you can figure out what the rules are, what fish swim there and a bunch of other valuable information if you can read between the lines.

Offline Dirt23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 27, 2023, 06:29 AM »
Had great time in Stetson ice condition great for walking but definitely deteriorating fast.  Wife and I pulled in around 10pm Thursday got unloaded and took dogs out for nightly business and to our surprise northern lights were dancing in horizon.  That alone was spectacular Friday morning at it around 5:30 beautiful sunrise as i finished boring holes.  Fish started slow but to my surprise sitting there jigging hear what I think is sandhill crane. I really thought I was crazy but continued to hear it throughout day i got some people out of camp so they could witness sound as well and all came up with conclusion definitely cranes. Friday ended up with 18large mouth largest just over 3lbs no perch or crappies in area. Saturday up at em early again but wanted fish for oil so took a mile hike into a weedy area adjacent to deeper part of lake pulled large crappie and white perch out instantly then proceeded to pull  10inch yellows out 1after another.  Bite was hot untill around 9:30 kept 20 out of the probably 100 yellow.  Got back to camp to do some fillets the boys there asked what I'm doing with all that eagle food they couldn't believe was going to eat yellow perch.  So got them turned boneless did some fried and some poor man's needless to say perch are no longer eagle food at camp. I will remember electric fillet knife next time.  Want to thank the excellent state of Maine for another great time

Offline Jack978

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Mar 27, 2023, 07:34 AM »
Had great time in Stetson ice condition great for walking but definitely deteriorating fast.  Wife and I pulled in around 10pm Thursday got unloaded and took dogs out for nightly business and to our surprise northern lights were dancing in horizon.  That alone was spectacular Friday morning at it around 5:30 beautiful sunrise as i finished boring holes.  Fish started slow but to my surprise sitting there jigging hear what I think is sandhill crane. I really thought I was crazy but continued to hear it throughout day i got some people out of camp so they could witness sound as well and all came up with conclusion definitely cranes. Friday ended up with 18large mouth largest just over 3lbs no perch or crappies in area. Saturday up at em early again but wanted fish for oil so took a mile hike into a weedy area adjacent to deeper part of lake pulled large crappie and white perch out instantly then proceeded to pull  10inch yellows out 1after another.  Bite was hot untill around 9:30 kept 20 out of the probably 100 yellow.  Got back to camp to do some fillets the boys there asked what I'm doing with all that eagle food they couldn't believe was going to eat yellow perch.  So got them turned boneless did some fried and some poor man's needless to say perch are no longer eagle food at camp. I will remember electric fillet knife next time.  Want to thank the excellent state of Maine for another great time

Old ways die hard and perhaps you may have changed their minds, but they probably won't publicly admit it.  Old timers only went for cold water species, but times and conditions have changed so have to change with them.  Glad it worked out for you.

Offline Nameless

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 24, 2023, 05:04 PM »
Anyone know if there’s a public access to Stetson during the winter? I’ve been bringing my boat up through the outlet this summer but not sure if it freezes up good enough. I see a couple places on the atlas that show landings but I’ve heard they are closed.

Offline Dirt23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 28, 2023, 05:45 AM »
Almost positive there's a public access they do an ice fishing derby every year up there can't imagine everyone is accessing through private I'll check with inlaws where it is

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #10 on: Nov 28, 2023, 06:56 AM »
Been a while since I've been on Stetson... At least 5 years...
I've accessed the pond in in winter from two locations. I don't really know their status now.
Anyway, There was access on the North shore, between some camps off Everett's Landing Road. There was always a plowed access here and they kept a cook shack on shore....
On the South shore, we used to go on from Lapointe Landing Road. The landing area wasn't plowed but many used machines and wheelers over the hump. Folks would park out of the way and up the hill a ways.
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline Nameless

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Nov 28, 2023, 08:58 AM »
Awesome, thank you guys, I just started fishing there this summer and would really like to try it on the ice

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.