Connecticut > Ice Fishing Connecticut

Shops for big baits

(1/5) > >>

Global Warming in CT:
I'm as excited as the next guy to get on some ice this weekend. Just wondering where you guys get bigger-sized baits for pike. I'm in the southeast corner and usually get shiners from Fish Connection in Gales Ferry or River's End in Old Saybrook. They are great shops and I appreciate them staying open in the winter, but they usually don't have any big shiners or suckers (although they will charge "pike bait" prices for heavy mediums, haha). A couple years ago I took a ride to TAGs and stocked up for the season, and last year I stocked up at Sanzeri's because I was frequently fishing in the NW corner, but both places are an hour-plus drive for me. Just wondering if I'm missing any bait shops closer to the SE corner that sell good pike baits. I'm hoping to take a ride somewhere either Thursday or Friday after work, both to get bait and do some scouting. Thanks.  :tipup:

westfish:
Not sure if it's on your way heading to the NE corner or what their status is this winter but I've gotten shiners at Dee's Bait & Tackle - it's a nice helpful shop.  I haven't been there this winter - not sure they have large live baits but I think they have frozen.

93 Clay St
New Haven, CT, CT 06513-3505
(203) 562-7025

pmaloney86:
I don't know the bait laws in CT but I follow a guy on instagram who sells wild caught golden shiners, fallfish, suckers, mummies, etc. and will deliver them to you.  If you are interested and think it is legal give me a PM and I can share his social media info.

Papa Sly:
Its legal to catch and use them just not sell them and you can buy them in CT and use them in Ma...just cant buy in Ma.

PikeKing23:
Careful Papa. You can legally buy Goldens inct and legally use them in MA, but crossing state lines with live baitfish is a no no.
(f) Importation of Baitfish. Only commercial baitfish defined in 4.01 (8)(a) may be imported for use and sale as bait by a licensed dealer. Importation of any live fish, other than aquarium trade fish as defined in 321 CMR 9.01(2),  requires an importation permit from the Director, including commercial baitfish.

I don't think they have many live bait checkpoints at the border, but just sayin.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version